Number of Cores 4
    Motherboard Name ASRock FM2A88X+ Killer
    Video Card AMD Radeon MSI R9 270 OC Edition 2GB GDDR5
    Memory 8GB
    2133mhz
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Comment

Re: ASRock FM2A88X+ Killer BIOS

There may not be many other people with that board who are having issues with their BIOS and are looking for answers here. Are you having an issue? There are only three versions available for that board: 1.10, 1.30, and 1.70.

ASRock > Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer

ASRock recommends to not update the BIOS unless you are having issues. Most of the time I don't update unless 1) there is an issue or 2) new features that I will use become available.

Comment

Originally posted by vuldin View Post
        1) there is an issue or 2) new features that I will use become available.
        Good advice. If I wanted to be continually challenged with updating BIOS to correct for problems I'd have bought Gigabyte instead.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
          Good advice. If I wanted to be continually challenged with updating BIOS to correct for problems I'd have bought Gigabyte instead.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
          Amen to that, sorry to say...

I've had 100% success updating the BIOS of my ASRock boards... until my Z97 Extreme 6 met UEFI 1.30...

Comment

By the way, I just bought this board to resolve some issues with one of my family member's computer. I'll post once it arrives to mention which BIOS version it comes with. I'll be using the AMD A10-7850K along with it.

Comment

updated my BIOS to 1.90 for my board i knew asrock was holding out on us
              Processor AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G
              Manufacturer AMD
              Speed 4.3Ghz
              Number of Cores 4
              Memory 8GB
              2133mhz

Comment

Originally posted by vuldin View Post
                By the way, I just bought this board to resolve some issues with one of my family member's computer. I'll post once it arrives to mention which BIOS version it comes with. I'll be using the AMD A10-7850K along with it.
                Glutton for punishment?

Most days here don't go by without someone posting of this or that concerning the A88X Killer. Strange he, Fatal1ty, put his moniker on a 4+2 board.
                #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosAMD View Post
                  updated my BIOS to 1.90 for my board i knew asrock was holding out on us
                  And you gained what in doing so? Was something 'broken"?

Comment

Glutton for punishment?

Most days here don't go by without someone posting of this or that concerning the A88X Killer. Strange he, Fatal1ty, put his moniker on a 4+2 board.
                    You mean there are lots of people having issues with this board? I'll have to read up on it. I'm hoping it will be painless since I'll be helping a family member through the installation remotely, wish me luck (starts tomorrow)!

Comment

And you gained what in doing so? Was something 'broken"?
                      isn't there always "something" broken with new tech hardware?
                      Processor AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G
                      Manufacturer AMD
                      Speed 4.3Ghz
                      Number of Cores 4
                      Memory 8GB
                      2133mhz

Comment

So the motherboard and CPU arrived today, and as I mentioned I was planning on helping my family member remotely to get it installed and tested out. As it turns out he wasn't really interested in working through the details and was in a hurry to just see if it would work. He got really lucky from what it sounds like.

He was coming from a Intel-based MSI board (and old server-focused X** chipset, can't recall the exact model) with some Intel CPU and an Nvidia 500 series GPU. He bought the PC from a friend a few months ago, and it had one of those Corsair water coolers on the CPU (similar to the new Radeion 295X2) that sprung a leak which shorted out the motherboard and video card. All he did was install the ASRock motherboard and the AMD chip in place of the old components, plugged back in the hard drive and peripherals, booted up in the same Windows install as before and all is working according to him. I would have never been ok with going that route... even if it did work I would have still done a reinstall. He never even went into the BIOS, and he is using 4 2GB memory sticks which aren't even on the supported mem list.

I'm betting he runs into issues at some point, but so far he's happy.

Comment

Working...
                        X