Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87 extreme6-ac: Fans stay on sometimes after shutdown

Hello all,
    I am a first-time computer builder and have put together a machine using the extreme6-ac. Overall I have found it to be a great board but am unsure how to address a problem I have been running into intermittently.

I built the computer 1 month ago and noticed that for about 1 in every 10 shutdowns, the fans will stay on. I will either have to push and release the power button to get them to go off, or sometimes I will have to hold it down for 10 seconds.

I have not been able to reliably reproduce this error but it does keep on happening. I have tried updating the BIOS and resetting CMOS.

My build is listed in my profile. I use a somewhat older Antec Earthwatts EA-650 power supply. I did not have any issues with it while it was powering my previous computer.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Re: Z87 extreme6-ac: Fans stay on sometimes after shutdown

I'm not sure this is a hardware or firmware issue. One way to check this is to just download a Linux liveCD and boot up the system, then shutdown (using the OS options, not the button) and see what happens. If this works, then keep doing it over and over until you are confident your occasional non-stop issue isn't happening while using the liveCD software. If this process works without the system having shutdown problems then you can start focusing on the software installed on the SSD.

If it is the current software, then I would just blow it away and do a fresh install. I usually don't have much patience with trying to fix Windows issues though, so there may be another better approach.

Comment

Thanks for the guidance. I tried downloading Knoppix and went through that process around 10 times without reproducing my power issues. However, I am reticent to reinstall windows due to the hassle with having to put everything back the way I like it. In the meantime, I did try unplugging the machine and holding down the power and reset buttons to get rid of any static charge. I also reseated the power connectors to the motherboard. Since that time, I have not encountered the problem again.

Thanks again and I will be back if I do run into it again though.

Comment

Any chance that you have the board's Dehumidifier Function enabled in the BIOS? That causes the fans to run at times when the PC is shutdown.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I have never had the dehumidifier function on so that shouldn't be the issue.

Fortunately I still have not experienced this problem since taking my computer apart so I think it might be resolved. I will be back if it does happen again.

Comment

Working...
          X