Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get optical toslink to work :( asrock ex3 x79 / xeon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get optical toslink to work :( asrock ex3 x79 / xeon.

Spent two weeks now trying to get all my inf drivers installed got nfi!
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
    Xeon E5 - 2650 Gen1. (@ 23x/105bclk)
    Asrock Extreme 3 x79 (2.40)
    Samsung 840 PRO 128gb (Boot) WD 1gb SSHD (Recovery/Junk)
    RipjawZ - 16gb 2133 4x4gb (@1600)
    2 Asus GTX 690 (Quad SLI Latest firmware)
    Thermaltake Toughpower Gold 850w

Re: Can't get optical toslink to work :( asrock ex3 x79 / xeon.

Toslink isn't an option in Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound ?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Nope, it says it isn't plugged in, cables fine.

I *think* i need to backdate then update my INF/ME/AXTU/UFEI drivers. first time xeon, asrock, sli/quadsli, small case, blackscreen bugs, 690s not booting, nvidia drivers and random things in device manager with no compatible ID's, ufei, IDE drive install ONLY.

I can only get sound to work and pickup in playback options if i use my plantronics rig external sound card, which is usb and a 3.5mm plug. The front and rear inputs don't work singularly or read at all.

I've disabled nvidia hd audio drivers, ive reinstalled realtek drivers many times.

I'm using the audio driver (7016) which is listed under windows 8.1 64bit on my mobo's download page and is the only 898 driver i can find, no HD audio drivers say they will work with 898 though.

I'm convinced it must be a problem with my inf drivers but i have all sorts of compatibility issues going i want to hone in how to fix it rather than fresh install and potentially get the same problem.

Not sure if i am allowed to donate to people who help, but if you can take this onboard and guide me i'll pay upfront via bit coins or paypal if you trust me not to do a charge back. =) ([email protected])
      Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Comment

What are all of your components? These are the steps I would take:
        1. uninstall all components
        2. only install a stick of memory, the processor, and a single disk drive.
        3. use integrated graphics if available, otherwise install a video card
        4. boot into the BIOS and ensure all components are registered
        5. install windows and ensure everything shows up in OS and everything is stable (no driver issues, no failed memory tests, etc.)
        6. install each of the additional components one at a time until all are installed (checking for issues in the BIOS and Windows between installs)

Comment

Originally posted by Adeptwa View Post
          Nope, it says it isn't plugged in, cables fine.

I *think* i need to backdate then update my INF/ME/AXTU/UFEI drivers. first time xeon, asrock, sli/quadsli, small case, blackscreen bugs, 690s not booting, nvidia drivers and random things in device manager with no compatible ID's, ufei, IDE drive install ONLY.

I can only get sound to work and pickup in playback options if i use my plantronics rig external sound card, which is usb and a 3.5mm plug. The front and rear inputs don't work singularly or read at all.

I've disabled nvidia hd audio drivers, ive reinstalled realtek drivers many times.

I'm using the audio driver (7016) which is listed under windows 8.1 64bit on my mobo's download page and is the only 898 driver i can find, no HD audio drivers say they will work with 898 though.

I'm convinced it must be a problem with my inf drivers but i have all sorts of compatibility issues going i want to hone in how to fix it rather than fresh install and potentially get the same problem.

Not sure if i am allowed to donate to people who help, but if you can take this onboard and guide me i'll pay upfront via bit coins or paypal if you trust me not to do a charge back. =) ([email protected])
          Assuming you have the X79 Extreme 3, have you ever tried the coaxial SPDIF output?

The LED in the Toslink output should be on, you should see light coming out of the little door of the Toslink jack, if not something is wrong with it.

There are Realtek HD audio drivers for every supported OS listed on your board's download page.

Given your "backdate" comment, I smell an Ivy Bridge processor BIOS update used with a Sandy Bridge processor.

As vuldin said, we really need to know what hardware components you are using, including CPU and BIOS version.

Comment

The bios is 2.40 I haven't been able to get the 690's to boot in anything newer.

I've never used a coaxial SPDIF output, the plug is different to RCA?
            Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Comment

The coaxial SPDIF output is a standard RCA jack on your board, that is commonly used for the electrical SPDIF output. Any cable with RCA connectors would work, but a 75 ohm coaxial cable like RG-59 is the best for that use.

If you did flash your board's BIOS to 2.60 or beyond and did not do it correctly, your PC probably has problems because of that. But you won't tell us about your CPU and other hardware, and what your BIOS history is, so there is nothing else I can tell you.

Comment

Go to speaker in taskbar, open playback devises, and set Realtek digital output to default. Then run a test.

Have you uninstalled the sound card drivers ? did you enable the HD onboard audio in the BIOS ?

There are fifteen series Realtek devises that use the same drivers, the 898 uses the same as the 1150, there is the 8-channel drivers. which cover the 15 different hardware. any, High Definition Audio Codecs work. the newest driver is the 7245.

You don't need to worry about the INF files, there is no INF driver, the INF are files, and there is ZERO difference between never installing the intel chipset files and NOT. Even if you do run the installer, you are still using the Microsoft INF.

Don't waste any time updating the INF/ME/AXTU/UFEI drivers, they have nothing to do with sound, and unless you have a GPU that has a GOP support, you are not running in true UEFI.

( Hey Parsec, hope all is well.)

Comment

Here, I'm sorry i thought the CPU-Z covered most of it.

here is a DXDIAG, is there any tool i can use that will help you, to help me?
                  Attached Files
                  Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Comment

I am trying to get my hard drive to run in AHCI mode not IDE, and i am trying to get GOP support if possible to! =) one step at a time I'm soo damnnnn lost!

(Click the little picture thingy and open in new tab on my post before you two gentlemen)

I updated bios from 2.40 to 2.60, then 2.61 then back to 2.40 then up to 2.80 then 2.90 then back to 2.40.

I am going to get an extreme 11 x79 for my 3960x once i get this baby on lock down =) Are all asrocks this hard?
                    Last edited by Adeptwa; 06-02-2014, 07:23 PM. Reason: Added the bios updates.
                    Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Comment

I was so close to getting the X79 Extreme11... I kinda wish I had gone that route but the Z97 'newness' blinded me :D

Comment

Originally posted by vuldin View Post
                        I was so close to getting the X79 Extreme11... I kinda wish I had gone that route but the Z97 'newness' blinded me :D

Running quad SLI and intending to, don't know why anyone would go anything less =) i want 144fps 4k x 3 monitor surround with head room and to just push the 3960x enough so it keeps on giving.

I have acronis imaging software and a spare 840 pro SSD that i can do a fresh install on, then export the settings only leaving the files on my current drive intact! If anyone can give me advice on any fail safe steps to getting everything up and running I'll launch it.
                        Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                          The coaxial SPDIF output is a standard RCA jack on your board, that is commonly used for the electrical SPDIF output. Any cable with RCA connectors would work, but a 75 ohm coaxial cable like RG-59 is the best for that use.

If you did flash your board's BIOS to 2.60 or beyond and did not do it correctly, your PC probably has problems because of that. But you won't tell us about your CPU and other hardware, and what your BIOS history is, so there is nothing else I can tell you.

Please help me :) You sound knowledgeable on the subject.

If i can help you let me know -=)
                          Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

Comment

Working...
                          X