Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECC on X79 Extreme 4-M

Hi guys
    I am very interested in building a new mini server with a powerful matx board
    Asrock X79 Extreme 4-M is the only choice on the market, which is officially support ECC memory
    However I check the bios but cannot find any ECC settings, how to know if it is working?
    according to the CPU support, most of the E5 2600 V2 and E5 1600 V2 are not supported, but i think they will work right?
    the only concern is i am not sure if they can work with ECC memory in ECC mode
    It would be grateful if i can have a solid answer.

That is what i plan:
    CPU: E5 1620 V2
    Memory: ELPIDA 8G 2R*8 unbuffered ECC DDR3

will they work with the MB? can the MEMORY RUN IN ECC MODE? how to confirm?
    thank you for reading my question

Re: ECC on X79 Extreme 4-M

is it the official ASROCK support website?
    I assume some one will answer me...

Comment

No, this is for the most part, 99%, a User Supported Forum

I suggest for your unsupported E5 2600 and 1600 questions to direct them to ASRock Tech Support using THIS link.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Comment

How can i confirm if they work in ECC mode?
          As I know un-buffered ECC memory are capable with normal motherboard, but not in ECC mode

Comment

There are very few ways that at best only indicate ECC might be working. While your question seems reasonable, it is like asking how to verify that the L2 or L3 cache in a CPU is being used, or working.

Part of the problem is memory working with ECC active, like any of the many other error correcting methods that are constantly in use in all computers, is assumed to be working and has no indicator that it is active.

For example, how do you know that the error correction capabilities built into the Internet and Ethernet connections are active and working at any given time? If you've spent any time at all researching this, you know that an official method of confirming that ECC is operating does not exist.

A BIOS option to enable or disable ECC error correction can only turn it on or off, it does not test that it is happening.

The Memtest86+ program can apparently test if ECC is supported, enabled, and functioning. But since ECC support depends upon the CPU, memory, and mother board (chipset), it is possible that very new hardware won't be supported for ECC checking by Memtest86+.

If the CPU, memory, and mother board support ECC memory, and those three components are compatible with each other, then the ECC function should be working.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              There are very few ways that at best only indicate ECC might be working. While your question seems reasonable, it is like asking how to verify that the L2 or L3 cache in a CPU is being used, or working.

Part of the problem is memory working with ECC active, like any of the many other error correcting methods that are constantly in use in all computers, is assumed to be working and has no indicator that it is active.

For example, how do you know that the error correction capabilities built into the Internet and Ethernet connections are active and working at any given time? If you've spent any time at all researching this, you know that an official method of confirming that ECC is operating does not exist.

A BIOS option to enable or disable ECC error correction can only turn it on or off, it does not test that it is happening.

The Memtest86+ program can apparently test if ECC is supported, enabled, and functioning. But since ECC support depends upon the CPU, memory, and mother board (chipset), it is possible that very new hardware won't be supported for ECC checking by Memtest86+.

If the CPU, memory, and mother board support ECC memory, and those three components are compatible with each other, then the ECC function should be working.
              How about Xeon E3 + ECC with Z87 MB? the memory controller is in CPU, not in Z87, Then should I asssume the ecc is working?

Comment

No Z87 boards have ECC memory support. The Xeon processors have the memory controller on the CPU too. The ECC spec states chipset support

Frankly, you need to ask Intel directly what you need for ECC memory to work. What I tell you and what you may think or what "should work" does not matter at all compared to what Intel tells you.

Comment

Working...
                X