Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with Asrock 870 Extreme 3 v1.1 PCI-e card (Adaptec 5805 Raid Controller)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Asrock 870 Extreme 3 v1.1 PCI-e card (Adaptec 5805 Raid Controller)

Greetings,

Recently, I've obtained a PCI-E RAID controller for my home nas -- the Adaptec 5805 SAS/SATA controller.

Upon installing it, I found the Firmware for the card was woefully behind. So, I updated it thinking that was the cause of my issue....it didn't help.

Problem:

Upon POST, Card hangs system as the controller pukes.

Suspects:

1. Card is PCI-E x8 and doesn't seem to want to work in PCIE x16 slots due to IRQ's and the way the lanes are laid out, if I read correctly.
    2. Lack of PCI-E tuning settings in CMOS.

References:

Adaptec 5805 RAID and motherboard compatibility - NAS / RAID - Storage

Questions:

1. I've tried this particular card on other motherboards to no avail either....is it the way that the motherboard above (and others) are trying to run the card?
    2. Does anyone else have ANY AMD motherboard where this controller works?
    3. Is there anyone that has this mobo that this controller works on?
    4. Is this a known issue with this board? Is there a beta bios I could try that has some PCI-E tuning options or the ability to force to true x8 operation?

Environment:

1. Already at latest BIOS and card firmware.
    2. Only trying to start bare card -- no drives attached as yet.

Re: Problem with Asrock 870 Extreme 3 v1.1 PCI-e card (Adaptec 5805 Raid Controller)

You say you updated the firmware but then you go on to say it didn't/hasn't worked in any MB you've placed it in.

My first logical question, did it work in one MB that booted successfully that allowed you to update the firmware?

With disabling the Full Screen Logo, is anything passing by during POST that may be relevant?

On the MB, is Dr DEBUG displaying anything relevant when it hangs? "AB" maybe?

Which PCIe slot have you tried it in? Did/does it work in the other?

This was with bare card, no cables attached? Have you tried with a drive attached, assuming you have the correct 8087 cable(s)?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Re: Problem with Asrock 870 Extreme 3 v1.1 PCI-e card (Adaptec 5805 Raid Controller)

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      You say you updated the firmware but then you go on to say it didn't/hasn't worked in any MB you've placed it in.

My first logical question, did it work in one MB that booted successfully that allowed you to update the firmware?

With disabling the Full Screen Logo, is anything passing by during POST that may be relevant?

On the MB, is Dr DEBUG displaying anything relevant when it hangs? "AB" maybe?

Which PCIe slot have you tried it in? Did/does it work in the other?

This was with bare card, no cables attached? Have you tried with a drive attached, assuming you have the correct 8087 cable(s)?

I'll take each of your questions one at a time here:

1. Did it work in the MB that allowed you to update the firmware?

No. Once I took the jumper off of FLSH on the card, it did the same thing and hang the system indefinitely. Only in zero flash mode can the system start.

2. POST output?

Nope. Memory count, CPU clock, is very quick.

3. Debug?

Dr. Debug stops at "78".

4. Which slot?

Per many forums, I have a cheap PCIE graphics card in the first slot and the RAID card in the other; flipping the cards has no effect on results.

5. Cable only, try with drives?

No change with drives attached. The drives get the "kick" from the controller to spin them up...but nothing happens. The cable P/N is cbl 0079-01-a-r

Comment

Originally posted by cyan990 View Post
        1. Did it work in the MB that allowed you to update the firmware?

No. Once I took the jumper off of FLSH on the card, it did the same thing and hang the system indefinitely. Only in zero flash mode can the system start.
        Hmmm Well it's not recommended to UP flash the cards firmware using Mode 0 Flash that isn't already functioning/operating properly.(ie: not getting along with the BIOS as this instance may be) HERE

I really don't have any experience with where that might have left you in regards to the cards current firmware status as you have yet to find a MB that it functions/operates properly in.

Try this. While knowing/remembering full well you do not want to go past the BIOS into the OS while attempting this, beginning with the 5805 removed from the system, enter the BIOS and disable the onboard SATA controller(s) and all other I/O related onboard devices, shut down(not restart), start and enter BIOS only, shut down again and this time install the 5805, start the system --- What happens now at boot/POST?

And too the 870 Extreme3 r1.x's appear to only have and 8Mb BIOS with which to stuff the hardware into which may well prove to be what you're banging your head against. I'll wait for your reply of disabling the onboard devices to see if that may have opened some/enough up.

If you'll be using this as a server you might also try booting it w/o the graphics card installed to see if she'll boot with the 5805. If you do try this set "Primary Graphics Adapter" in the BIOS to PCI, not PCI Express, and also try the 5805 in both x16 slots.
        Last edited by - wardog -; 04-23-2014, 09:52 PM.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
          Hmmm Well it's not recommended to UP flash the cards firmware using Mode 0 Flash that isn't already functioning/operating properly.(ie: not getting along with the BIOS as this instance may be) HERE

I really don't have any experience with where that might have left you in regards to the cards current firmware status as you have yet to find a MB that it functions/operates properly in.

Try this. While knowing/remembering full well you do not want to go past the BIOS into the OS while attempting this, beginning with the 5805 removed from the system, enter the BIOS and disable the onboard SATA controller(s) and all other I/O related onboard devices, shut down(not restart), start and enter BIOS only, shut down again and this time install the 5805, start the system --- What happens now at boot/POST?

And too the 870 Extreme3 r1.x's appear to only have and 8Mb BIOS with which to stuff the hardware into which may well prove to be what you're banging your head against. I'll wait for your reply of disabling the onboard devices to see if that may have opened some/enough up.

If you'll be using this as a server you might also try booting it w/o the graphics card installed to see if she'll boot with the 5805. If you do try this set "Primary Graphics Adapter" in the BIOS to PCI, not PCI Express, and also try the 5805 in both x16 slots.

Greetings,

I read that too....

Here's what's confusing..the page says to flash: "- The inability to have the system boot even if the BIOS message is displayed (system hang conditions)." and then two lines later contradicts itself saying "Well, if the card isn't behaving, don't flash it." :D So, fair enough. I *can* flash the previous version back to it as this is a "fail safe" mode. However, I need 3TB support for new drives...that's why I got this card in the first place. (I believe that support in version 18000+ whereas the card got to me at version 16501.)

I have tried turning off the NIC, no GPU, etc. No dice, still hangs at 78. I've also toggled the PCI/PCIE graphics options you spoke of -- I was thinking along the same lines :). If there's another ASRock board that will work with this...I'm okay with getting that one, I just want this to work :D. For consistency sake, I'll repeat the disable, reboot, power off, install card process just to be sure I've done all that.

Comment

Working...
          X