Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice on 990FX Extreme3

Hey guys..

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice on what size PSU I am needing to power my PC safely? The reason I ask if because I have bought 2 500w ones from my local PC shop and they have blown when I have played games like Rift, Warface and Planetside 2 .. They let me play for about 30 minutes then the PSU blows.
    My setup I have is as follows

Motherboard : Asrock 990FX Extreme3
    CPU: AMD FX-8320 8 core
    GPU Evga GTX 660
    OCZ Ram DDR3 6gb

I am just lost at the minute so any help would be so appreciated, Thank you in advance

Re: Need some advice on 990FX Extreme3

See #3 in my Sig. When following the link, enter data into each selection that applies, adjusting for the specs as needed.

Link's to the product pages of these two that have blown please. The GTX660 req's 24A on one of +12v rails with a min spec'd 450w psu.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Duane Hudson View Post
        .......but I just need to know what wattage I need
        Well, guessing here I entered some into that calculator: What's shown by you above, OC'd to 4Ghz, two 7200 HDDs, one BD-RE/DVD, one flash SSD, four 120mm fans. Pops up at 598W.

If you plan to keep this PSU around through some future upgrades/additions it's only up from the 598 needed now so take that into acct.

I'd suggest single rail PSU 's for systems with gfx cards for gaming, but that just me. I'm sure others have differing opinions.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Wardog.. None of my system has been OC'd it's just all stock and plan on keeping it that way. It's running at a 3.50ghz, But from what you have put would you say something like this would be ideal for me? Corsair CXM Builder series 600W Hybrid Modular Power Supply - CP-9020060-UK - Scan.co.uk

I just want to know that when I am playing games like rift or warface that it's not going to pop my PSU. Thanks again for getting back and helping me.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Wardog.. None of my system has been OC'd it's just all stock and plan on keeping it that way. It's running at a 3.50ghz, But from what you have put would you say something like this would be ideal for me? Corsair CXM Builder series 600W Hybrid Modular Power Supply - CP-9020060-UK - Scan.co.uk

I just want to know that when I am playing games like rift or warface that it's not going to pop my PSU. Thanks again for getting back and helping me.

Comment

Hey Wardog, Thanks for all your help, I have just bought a Corsair Tx750 w power supply do you think that's a good one for my setup? Thanks again

Comment

Hey Wardog, Thanks for all your help, I have just bought a Corsair Tx750 w power supply do you think that's a good one for my setup? Thanks again
                Yeppers. That should power her just fine. Plus at 750w it offers you room/time for future additions and upgrades.

Comment

Okay, Thanks Wardog for all your help man.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X