windows 8.1 fails to load at start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 8.1 fails to load at start up

So i got a new pc from ibuypower, after the pc has been sitting off for a bit, on start up, it shows the asrock page, then the windows logo page, then goes to a blank screen and windows does not load. I can push restart and then it reboots and loads normally that time.

Ibp told me it was a MB problem and i should flash the bios. I have the asrock extreme 9 fx board.

Does this sound correct? Is this a known issue with this board?
    Thanks.

Re: windows 8.1 fails to load at start up

They, IBP, actually said to flash the BIOS huh? No.

I'll say to have them issue a pick-up ticket for it and send it back either for exchange if it's new new or back for warranty repair if you've had it a spell.

That's assuming you haven't added, changed, flashed any parts since receiving it and are the root cause of this now. But IMO that it boots to Windows, and thus past the BIOS, signifies something else happening. The BIOS and all parts when shipped were working.

You can attempt flashing the BIOS, Use Instant Flash from within the BOIS itself. After downloading and unpacking the latest Instant Flash file move the file to a formatted any flavor of FAT USB stick and reboot back into the BIOS. The Users Manual or the little red box on the download page has instructions. Or, for sure, call IBP and have THEY themselves guide you over the phone while you perform the flashing.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      I'll say to have them issue a pick-up ticket for it and send it back either for exchange if it's new new or back for warranty repair if you've had it a spell.
      The warranty is included in the purchase price of pre-builts. Use it. This situation is one of the reasons you bought one with a warranty, and exactly why IBP includes one. To keep the customer, you, happy.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by gjruszk View Post
        So i got a new pc from ibuypower, after the pc has been sitting off for a bit, on start up, it shows the asrock page, then the windows logo page, then goes to a blank screen and windows does not load. I can push restart and then it reboots and loads normally that time.

Ibp told me it was a MB problem and i should flash the bios. I have the asrock extreme 9 fx board.

Does this sound correct? Is this a known issue with this board?
        Thanks.
        Does your PC shut off when you start it, or do you just get a black screen?

I say that because I have experienced a similar thing with Windows 8.1. That is, when you try to boot the PC when it was shutdown, it begins to start and just before it boots, it shuts off completely on its own. If I then press the power button again, it then starts fine. I have experienced that on two PCs with different mother boards, although they both use Intel CPUs, rather than your AMD board.

Your issue is not related to the mother board IMO, we have not seen posts in this forum about that problem with your board. IBP probably told you that since they did not have a better answer for you.

The last BIOS update for your board is version 1.50, dated 10/15/2013. Since that is almost six months ago, it is likely that your board already has that BIOS version. Your board's BIOS chip should have a label on it that shows the BIOS version currently installed on your board. This is your board's information page at ASRock, just FYI:

ASRock > 990FX Extreme9

I'm a bit surprised IBP suggested updating the BIOS, since with some pre-built PCs, that might void the warranty. I do not know if that is the case with your PC, but is something you should check just in case.

I don't have a fix for your issue, assuming that it is related to or the same as mine, as I've never found a fix that I'm sure will work consistently. I think it is related to the Windows 8 fast startup feature, that is enabled by default. You could try disabling that feature and see if it makes a difference. I have found that a CPU over clock tends to cause my issue to occur.

Comment

Hi there, I'm having a similar issue as the original poster described when Fastboot in 8.1 is enabled. To mention it first all drivers and BIOS are the latest.
          When Fast boot is enabled and Windows hibernated the Kernel at the last shutdown I get a blank screen on booting up after the windows logo when the login should show up. The machine sometimes shuts completely off and restarts itself (whithout fastboot then) and boots up correctly. Rarely I'm able to get on the desktop when Fastboot is enabled, but if, the blank screen occures one or two minutes after booting up. The screen is either grey, white or black...no pointer visible and unresponsive. I've tried everything, nothing works exept turnig off Fast Startup, just like parsec described in the post above. I'm a member in the eightforums.com where a similar topic exists. A guy was able to fix his issue with a BIOS update. I have the Z87M Pro4, internal graphics and WIN 8.1 32 bit. OS is setup in non-UEFI mode. On my previous board, a Gigabyte P35-DS3, fast boot worked as it should with 8.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Hybrid Vigor View Post
            Hi there, I'm having a similar issue as the original poster described when Fastboot in 8.1 is enabled. To mention it first all drivers and BIOS are the latest.
            When Fast boot is enabled and Windows hibernated the Kernel at the last shutdown I get a blank screen on booting up after the windows logo when the login should show up. The machine sometimes shuts completely off and restarts itself (whithout fastboot then) and boots up correctly. Rarely I'm able to get on the desktop when Fastboot is enabled, but if, the blank screen occures one or two minutes after booting up. The screen is either grey, white or black...no pointer visible and unresponsive. I've tried everything, nothing works exept turnig off Fast Startup, just like parsec described in the post above. I'm a member in the eightforums.com where a similar topic exists. A guy was able to fix his issue with a BIOS update. I have the Z87M Pro4, internal graphics and WIN 8.1 32 bit. OS is setup in non-UEFI mode. On my previous board, a Gigabyte P35-DS3, fast boot worked as it should with 8.1.
            I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the statement I put in bold above, but I would expect turning off Windows Fast Startup should stop any problems that it causes. Also please be careful to use the correct terminology, since "Fast Boot" or "Ultra Fast Boot" is a completely different feature, not related to Windows. That is also true about "UEFI Booting", which is not related to Windows Fast Startup.

IMO, this problem is most likely a problem with the Windows Fast Startup feature, and cannot be blamed on a mother board or its BIOS. I think this is true for several reasons:

1. I have seen Windows Fast Startup work fine many times on two different PCs with Windows 8 and 8.1.

2. The Windows Fast Startup failure is sporadic in my experience, meaning it happens sometimes, and other times it does not, in the same situation, cold starting a PC.

3. If Windows Fast Startup depended upon a BIOS/UEFI setting, or was known to fail if a certain standard setting was enabled or disabled, Microsoft is responsible to inform us about this.

4. Assuming a BIOS update fixed this issue tells us nothing about what was changed or fixed? Imagine all the different things a BIOS update could have, and all the known side affects of a BIOS update. A BIOS update resets all BIOS settings to defaults, so no OC of CPU or memory, and no accidental option changes that cause weird things to happen.

The symptoms of Windows Fast Startup failure are inconsistent. In both of my Window 8.1 PCs, from a cold start POST will complete, and immediately the PC shuts off. It does not start again until I press the power button. That does not match the other descriptions in this thread.

"Rarely I'm able to get on the desktop when Fastboot is enabled, but if, the blank screen occures one or two minutes after booting up"

I assume the "but if" means "but if it does (get to the desktop)", which means Windows booted/started, and is long past the Windows Fast Start feature's operation, which is applied immediately after POST is complete, and just before Windows is booted. A blank screen occurring one or two minutes after Windows boots should have nothing to do with Windows Fast Startup.

Comment

Working...
            X