990FX Extreme3 AM3+ No Post / No Beeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ No Post / No Beeps

So I have been using a 990FX extreme3 AM3+ for a little bit now. One day I try powering up the computer and I get no video. CPU fans are turning on, vid card fan is turning on, but no video output. So I do some typical troubleshooting to isoplate the issue. I remove all connecting device cables (HD/ROM drive) and try powering up; no video. I remove both of the RAM sticks I had in and try starting up with one stick in a different slot; no video. Different stick and slot; no video. RAM completely out; no video.

At this point I am thinking video card died or possibly power supply. Now, I am not super versed in this particular boards troubleshooting capabilities, but something that always seemed to hold true with a mobo is if I removed the Video Card and RAM completely and power on that I should get some alert beeps. So I remove all RAM, unhook all cables, and remove the video card, no alert beeps. So at this point I fear the either the power supply or mobo is defective.

So I RMA the power supply and get back a new one; same result. I RMA the motherboard and get a replacement one back, same result. Now I am super confused, cause I still think I should be getting some type of alert beeps, but I continue on the "RMA while things are in warranty" route and I RMA the video card. Surely that is my problem right??? I jsut checked the repair status, and the support said they tested it in multiple configurations and the video card is working for them...

Obviously, I can not verify this till I recieve it back, but if the video card is working, what else could it be? The only thing left to replace would be a processor, which is only a year old on stock settings. I rarely have seen those become defective. Is the mobo suppose to give me alert beeps when the video card/ram are removed and the computer is powered on? Could really use some help on this because I am at a loss for ideas now...

Mobo: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 AM3+
    Proc: AMD FX 6300 Vishera 3.5
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5
    PSU: Thermaltake Black widow 850w
    RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866

Re: 990FX Extreme3 AM3+ No Post / No Beeps

The two things I do when faced with the unknown like this is clear the BIOS the "long' way(jumper and batt removal, leave sit 10mins-8hrs) and include a fresh batt when it goes back in.

Not knowing just how long your EX3's been around, it'd do no harm in it seeing a new CMOS batt anyways.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      The two things I do when faced with the unknown like this is clear the BIOS the "long' way(jumper and batt removal, leave sit 10mins-8hrs) and include a fresh batt when it goes back in.

Not knowing just how long your EX3's been around, it'd do no harm in it seeing a new CMOS batt anyways.
      I kinda covered that part with a complete mobo replacement. I RMA'ed the board and got a replacement. Exact same issue after board replacement.

Should the board have alert beeps if the graphics card is pulled?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jewell View Post
        I kinda covered that part with a complete mobo replacement. I RMA'ed the board and got a replacement. Exact same issue after board replacement.

Should the board have alert beeps if the graphics card is pulled?
        I don't believe so. Try removing both sticks of ram and power the system up. If you get error code beeps it sounds like the cpu... If you don't it's the board. This is from my experience but would definitely want you to confirm with mods before sending back. Wouldn't be the first time something rma'd came back not working properly.

Comment

Originally posted by blakeandsons View Post
          I don't believe so. Try removing both sticks of ram and power the system up. If you get error code beeps it sounds like the cpu... If you don't it's the board. This is from my experience but would definitely want you to confirm with mods before sending back. Wouldn't be the first time something rma'd came back not working properly.
          Would love if a mod could confirm this. The question would be if I should be getting beeps if RAM and video card are pulled out and the computer is powered on.

Comment

The board doesn't have a speaker/buzzer unless you added one to the MB "Chassis Speaker Header" you haven't told us of.
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

The board doesn't have a speaker/buzzer unless you added one to the MB "Chassis Speaker Header" you haven't told us of.
              Ah I see, next step to go any further would be to order a speaker for the mobo. Unless you have another am3+ cpu sitting around.

Comment

I have not added a speaker.

Hmm, would be a first but thinking I may have a CPU gone bad on me. I would expect it, a little hit atleast, if I had been doing some overclocking...

I dont have another AM3+ CPU laying around to test. May just have to take the plunge and try sending it out for waranty repair. Wonder how AMD support is with that, never had to request one before

Comment

If you truly are in Kansas I'd be willing to send you a speaker/buzzer.

I last bought a bag of 100 off 'em as I include one with every board that passes through here.

PM me if that interests you.

Comment

If you truly are in Kansas I'd be willing to send you a speaker/buzzer.

I last bought a bag of 100 off 'em as I include one with every board that passes through here.

PM me if that interests you.
                    Thanks, I will PM you about that.

On a side note, I got back the video card today. So I slapped the video card back in and no luck.

So, my last power on attempt went like this: I unplugged (from the board) all SATA cables to peripherals, I removed all RAM. The only items connected to the mobo is the brand new 800 W ThermalTake PSU, the HD7850 VIdeo Card, a few different cooling fans, and the processor. On power on, all fans turn on, including the fans mounted on the video card, but no video.

At this time, the only thing connected to this motherboard that has not been replaced is the processor.

Comment

Pull the current proc you have and inspect it for bent pins, closely. If there's no bent pins, there's still the possibility one of 'em made poor contact and that is usually remedied by simply re-seating it. That's not as UN-common as you might think.

Comment

Working...
                      X