Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z77 extreme6 2400mhz ram problem

Please help

I upgraded my rig a while ago and have the Asrock z77 extreme6 mobo with gskill ripjawsZ 2400mhz 8gb dual channel kit. I bought the ram not looking at the compatibility chart, thinking it would work as the motherboard supports 2400mhz+ memory only to find its not making full use of the ram and is not on the supported list. On the gskill forum they list their highest supporting ram at 2000mhz for the z77 extreme6, but recommend I use only 1866mhz, which is strange as on the memory support list for the motherboard it has a quad channel ripjawsZ 2400mhz kit? This board is dual channel is it not? I am running bios version 2.80 and another problem is that when I turn my pc on, it starts up then during the post it turns off and starts up again then boots properly and runs fine. Is this a problem linked to the ram? Is there a way for me to underclock my ram to 1866mhz for better compatibility? Do I just use xmp profile?

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Z77 extreme6 2400mhz ram problem

What's the model of this G.Skill kit you have?

Also, assuming the system can boot into Windows would you post a screenshot of the SPD tab from CPU-Z.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      What's the model of this G.Skill kit you have?

Also, assuming the system can boot into Windows would you post a screenshot of the SPD tab from CPU-Z.

The model number of the ram is F3-2400C10D-8GZH

Here is a screenshot, the other ram slot has the same info

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	754211

When I run 3dmark, the resuts say my ram is '4096MB G.Skill ddr3 @ 667mhz' is this correct?

All I want to kow is if my ram is working properly as no test says it is running at 2400mhz

I am not overclocking anything, all is at stock standard

My system is as follows:

Asrock Z77 Extreme6
      Core i5 3570k
      G.Skill RipjawsZ 2400mhz 8GB(2x4)
      Xfx Radeon HD5850 xfire
      Corsair TX 850watt V2 power supply

Kind Regards

Comment

EDIT; Screeching halt. See Post # 6

Originally posted by LoNgDoNg View Post
        When I run 3dmark, the resuts say my ram is '4096MB G.Skill ddr3 @ 667mhz' is this correct?
        More than likely, yes. But the reason is by design. What it will run at by default(initial installation) is one of those JEDEC timings displayed in the SPD tab. That is done purposely so that the memory will "fire up' in most machines they're placed in. It's the User, you, who must enter the BIOS and make the needed change to a speed/MHz above that.

G.Skill is, rightfully so, careful in they they don't like to advise folks to stuff high voltages into memory and chipsets and thus have the/any "blame' fall to them. Again, understandable. OC'ing is done at the overclockers risk, not theirs.

Yours don't show in that SPD tab 1600 or 1866 timings/voltages. Bummer, that'd be too easy. When you were at the G.Skill forum did you by chance read or have suggested to you any voltage/timings for either 1600 or 1866?
        Last edited by - wardog -; 03-24-2014, 08:46 PM. Reason: Just saw 4096MB, not real 8192MB as should be
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

While I wait your reply I'll do some digging and see if I cant find some 1866 voltage and timings for this memory.

Comment

Originally posted by LoNgDoNg View Post
            Only 4096MB huh. I've never ran any of the Futuremark suites. Can you post a screenshot in 3DMark where it's showing 4096MB please.

Also, check in CPU-Z that all 8192MB is showing up? I assume it is as you previously stated "Here is a screenshot, the other ram slot has the same info" which leads me to believe CPU-Z sees the actual 8192 as two separate 4096MB sticks. Look in CPU-Z's Memory tab, upper left corner. Is it showing "Size 8192 MBytes"?

Comment

Working...
            X