Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Debug Code 4F

Hello everyone,

I have recently built a new system which was working perfectly fine up until today. The system was fully up and running for about a week prior to this with Windows 7 installed as well as several other games and programs.

Today when I went to turn the system on I was greeted by 6 beeps and the Dr.Debug code of 4F. It had done this to me once prior right after I built it and installed Windows, a simple restart solved it at that time.

After troubleshooting and scouring the internet all day I am looking for some help. The system did boot to Windows twice today and I can occasionally access the BIOS when it does boot properly.

Here are my system specs:

• <label for="motherboard" style="display: block; margin-bottom: auto; width: 212px; float: left;">MotherBoard: ASRock Z77 Exetreme 4</label>

• <label for="motherboard_bios_version" style="display: block; margin-bottom: auto; width: 212px; float: left;">Motherboard BIOS version:</label>2.90

• <label for="processor" style="display: block; margin-bottom: auto; width: 212px; float: left;">Processor:</label> Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

• <label for="memory" style="display: block; margin-bottom: auto; width: 212px; float: left;">Memory:</label>G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

• <label for="video_card1" style="display: block; margin-bottom: auto; width: 212px; float: left;">Video Card #1:</label>MSI GeForce GTX 760 Twin Frozr 2GB GDDR5

• <label for="hard_drive1" style="display: block; margin-bottom: auto; width: 212px; float: left;">Hard Drive #1:</label>Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5

• <label for="hard_drive2" style="display: block; margin-bottom: auto; width: 212px; float: left;">Hard Drive #2:</label>Seagate Desktop HDD 1TB 3.5

• <label for="optical_drive1" style="display: block; margin-bottom: auto; width: 212px; float: left;">Optical Drive #1:</label>Asus DRW-24B1ST Internal 24X DVD Burner - 5.25

• <label for="optical_drive2" style="display: block; margin-bottom: auto; width: 212px; float: left;">Case: </label>
    • Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Test Bench & LAN Box Mid

• <label for="cooler" style="display: block; margin-bottom: auto; width: 212px; float: left;">Cooler:</label>Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatpip

• <label for="keyboard" style="display: block; margin-bottom: auto; width: 212px; float: left;">Keyboard:</label>Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Mecha

• <label for="mouse" style="display: block; margin-bottom: auto; width: 212px; float: left;">Mouse:</label>Cooler Master CM Inferno Wired Gaming Mouse

• <label for="power_supply" style="display: block; margin-bottom: auto; width: 212px; float: left;">Power Supply:</label>Corsair RM Series RM750 Modular Power Supply

• <label for="operating_system" style="display: block; margin-bottom: auto; width: 212px; float: left;">Operating System:</label>
    • Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64Bit

Any help would be great!

Re: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Debug Code 4F

Do you have another video card to use there? If so, try using it and see.

If not, while only going into the BIOS to test that it at least boots to the BIOS, disable all onboard devices that you can and test afterwards.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

The 4F POST code is a strange one, and as wardog suggested it could be related to any extra cards you use with the board.

You could try the Intel on-CPU graphics for a while and see if you still get the error.

One thing about six beeps I saw was a keyboard related problem. If you have another, simpler keyboard give that a try for a while.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I will try the following this morning and see where it gets me. I will post any results.

Comment

Well here whats I have tried so far and how far I have gotten today.

I have removed all of the hardware (except the CPU and memory) and removed the mobo from the case and tested it as such. Still got the 4F code.

After this I removed the CPU to check for any bent pins and found none.

The only progress that I have made is that I can enter the BIOS consistently if I start the system by pressing the clear CMOS button on the mobo.

I have disabled all on board functions, execpt the on board USB.

Regardless of all that I have tried if I do not boot the system to the BIOS then I get stuck at the 4F code. So progress has been minimal.

Comment

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread but here is another update if anyone is having a similar problem.

I think I may have narrowed it down to a memory compatibility issue.

The memory that I am currently running with is only listed as being compatible on the memory manufacturers website (GSKill), and not on the ASRock website under compatible memory for this board.

I am running the most current version of the bios so I am assuming that if this memory is supported it would be now covered under the most up to date BIOS.

I am considering going out and trying some other memory sticks in it to see if this is the problem or if the BIOS is corrupted or messed up.

Comment

If memory is where you're headed with this, try setting both of the XMP Profiles on the memory _and also_ try setting the 4 main timings manually with all other on Auto.

Remember to clear the BIOS between each and every change.
              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

IMO, I suggest using memory found in the compatibility list. I usually do that, particularly if the PC builder does not have a selection of different memory models to try with the board. If that is your situation, use the compatibility list, it limits your selections but they can be trusted.

G.SKILL normally has a great RMA policy, they likely will exchange your current memory for a model found in the compatibility list. G.SKILL XH, XL, SR2, and other models are in the support list.

Memory compatibility is a pet peeve of mine, why one model is compatible and another not has some basis in the design of the DIMMs and the chips they use, but most memory manufactures do not reveal that information.

Next, for Intel processor boards with the on-CPU memory controller (IMC), there are specs about compatible DIMMs (as said above), but that is buried in the particular processor's data sheet.

Beyond that, if there are other aspects of memory compatibility involved, they are not readily available to the public.

Comment

Working...
                X