New ASRock Mother Board Classifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ASRock Mother Board Classifications

ASRock has changed the way their mother boards are displayed on their selection page, although the previous style (All of them) still exists. Check out the new categories: ASRock > Motherboard Series

We now have All, Extreme, Overclocking, Gaming, and BTC.

As I looked through these entries, a few things came to mind. I wonder what others think about this, please add your thoughts in this thread. Keep in mind the list of boards reflects only boards currently in production.

The five categories, although basically obvious to PC enthusiasts, are not described at all. Such as, what does Extreme mean? How much does one category differ from the others? Can you only OC on Overclocking boards? Should gamers only use Gaming boards?

Excluding the All category, AMD boards are not represented much in other categories. Seven AMD boards in the Extreme category, two in Gaming, and zero in Overclocking and BTC. That's 9 total AMD board, vs 31 total Intel boards.

In total, the Overclocking category has four entries. Gaming has ten entries. That is out of a total of almost 150 different boards in the All category.

The number of boards in each category (besides All) seems small to me. As a marketing tool, I didn't get the point.

OTOH, I may be looking at this wrong. Are these categories more of a reality check? No, not that AMD is not worthy as a gaming or overclocking platform, but that ASRock simply does not make any specific purpose gaming and overclocking boards on AMD platforms. Also, the number of highly specific purpose boards on Intel Platforms is not very large.

So is this refreshing honesty, or a shot a hole in their foot situation?

Re: New ASRock Mother Board Classifications

I am not sure they are not just helping us sort them out, making them easier to find for the customers.

If you look closely at the categories, it is not just "Extreme", "Gaming" etc, but "Extreme Series", "Gaming Series" etc. The word "Series" is just very small.

If you go to each category, it is the names (or in the case of Gaming, the type) of motherboard.

The Extreme category has boards with "Extreme" in the name.
    The Gaming category has boards that are set up (in their thinking) for gaming, with things like the Gaming Mouse Port which is apparently a hyper-sensitive USB mouse port.
    The Overclocking category has boards with OC (Overclocking) in their names.

I think they are just coming up with a new way of sorting them, tbh.

MAIN PC
    CPU
    - i7-3820 @ 3.60Ghz
    MB - AsRock X79 Extreme6 (Bios P2.80)
    RAM - 2 x 8Gb Patriot Viper 1866 CL10 Series @933Mhz
    GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 7870 Direct CU II (2Gb) x 2 (XFire)
    CASE - Fractal Design Desire R4 Black Case (windowless)
    FANS - Standard Fan CPU, 5 x FD Silent 2 140mm Fans in case
    PSU - Thermaltake R2 800W
    SSD - Sandisk SDSSDHP2 240Gb (boot)
    HDD - 2 x Seagate ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    SYS - Win7 x64 Ultimate
    KB - Logitech K350 Wireless
    MOU -
    Razor Naga Molten mouse
    MON - ASUS VS247H (1920 x 1080)
    UPS - Belkin Line Interactive 1400VA 840W
    System is not overclocked at all.
    2ND PC
    AMD FM2 A10-7850K @ 3.70Ghz
    AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ (Bios P2.90)
    2 x 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Kaveri Spectre Desktop (onboard) @ 760Mhz
    Thermaltake V9 case (1 x 120mm, 1 x 240mm fan)
    Corsair H80i Water Cooler w/2 x 120mm fans
    Seasonic G-Series (SSR-650RM Active PFC F3) 650W

OCZ Vertex 4 120Gb SSD (Boot)
    2 x ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
    Win7 X64 Ultimate
    Logitech G15 (6 G Keys) USB
    Logitech MX-518 mouse
    Phillips 22HFL3350D/10 (1920 x 1080)
    NAS - Netgear RN104-100AJS 4 Bay (not hooked in)
    Not overclocking

Comment

Cripe parsec, thats probably in response to us RTFM for replies, page hit counter gone berserk, went and rolled itself into the PR dept, someone there said lookie lookie and PR then commandeered that "old' landing page

Although I'll credit someone there at ASRockfor having a funny bone. Gonzo PSU.
      (Screenie lifted from the Fatal1ty 990FX Killer User Manual:)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	990FX Fatality Killer BAD PSU Specs from the manual.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	754182
      Last edited by - wardog -; 03-08-2014, 07:57 AM. Reason: 990FX Killer, not FM2A88X+ Killer
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I want a pair of their 65,535 rpm cooling fans for my system.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
          I want a pair of their 65,535 rpm cooling fans for my system.
          Nothing like having a V-22 hangered next to your desk. And no Corsair, don't even go there. The green rings are pretty and all, but ........

Click image for larger version

Name:	large_OspreyIraq_Bats_from_Hell_Meye.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	754183
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

OMG wardog, that is... you know what hilarious!!! HWiNFO has nothing on those BIOS sensors readings!

I agree about the PR department, although they are clearly separate from the Marketing department, whom wish to sell more things, PR be danged! That is, given my theory about the categories sending potential customers elsewhere.

Oh yes, those are some mighty fine PSU voltage readings! Those boards aren't called "Killer" for nothing, maybe the point is you can't kill them with way off spec voltages. I knew that had to be from an AMD board, given the CPU temperatures at 2.00V, which I'm sure was at idle (shameless hit on AMD CPU temp readings.)

Alas ProfJim, as I'm sure you know, 65535 in decimal is FFFF in hex, and 1111111111111111 in binary, so that data word is full of 1's... Gawd what a nerd I am, and a drag... Certainly I have fans that sound like they are running at 65535 RPM.

OMG, I must throw this in for you ProfJim, my Toilet Tissue Test Testimonial.

Recently, I thought I felt air exiting a small vent on my PC case, revealing positive pressure, when I thought I had negative pressure (think about that term). How to check that... eureka, I ran to the bathroom for you know what, TP!! Sure enough, a small piece of TP would not stick to that vent, it was blown away, whereas an intake fan easily... negative pressured the TP to the intake vent. I now have a nicely cut piece of TP attached to the exhaust vent of my PSU (you know which one) to indicate if the fan is running.

To those who would jest about the TP test, try it, you may be surprised to discover which way the wind blows within your case.

OMG Spyone1, you are becoming an extreme literalist as I am, and trying to cure myself of, at least to some degree.

I agree with your opinion, I'm just saying that it may be a mistake, at least in the eyes of some people. For example, another board manufacture could say, "All our boards are great for OCing your CPU, not just a handful like...". While the ASR categories are really more honest, to the low information customer they probably won't be. Like the people that want to OC an 8350 to 5GHz on a 4 + 1 phase board, without a heat sink of the VRMs.

Comment

Negative pressure is normal on the planet Htrae aka bizaro world.

For those who haven't seen my not so famous TP post:

Making assumptions can be dangerous but I'm going to assume that certain members have a good sense of humor.

Q: profJim, what is your reference brand of TP?
              A: Any 2-ply, scented, quilted brand that I have.

Q: Is one to assume this is to be accomplished using fresh off the roll, dry and FMF, sheets?
              A: Use whatever makes you happy. FMF? flow microfluorometry?

Parsec said "Filters restrict air flow a lot, at least 50%."
              This sounds high but it might be true.

The attached picture isn't quite what I have in mind, but it shows the fan's airflow.

SPECIAL OFFER:

Call in the next 20 minutes and order my patented, custom made TP Holder.
              This is a high quality tube that works perfectly with any brand of toilet paper.
              The price is only $19.99 plus shipping, processing and handling BUT WAIT!! You can get a second TP holder for free, all you have to do is pay additional shipping, processing and handling charges.

Operators are standing by, just call 1-555-IMA-SUCKER.

Please specify your choice of colors.

**edit**

Sorry, the response has been overwhelming and the TP Holder is sold out and is no longer available.
              Last edited by profJim; 03-09-2014, 08:21 PM.
              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Aw, drat, I missed it again, how could I!?!? That's Ok, I still have my Ronco version of the TP holder, that even works with the IBuyJunk brand of PC fan TP (metric, not English measurements.)

Comment

Ronco, wow. One of, if not THE, original late-nite hawkers. Ron Popeil.

They still sell the Pocket Fisherman. Worse yet maybe is I still have one under a bunk in the camper, jic.

Comment

Working...
                  X