Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motherboard model number and manufacturer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard model number and manufacturer?

Hello. I'm trying to figure out why my computer won't boot. It won't even post. I bought it from ibuypower, and Asrock is the motherboard. Where would I find the instruction manual for the motherboard? I have found the serial number, but I cannot find the model number of the board. I do not have a box. I also do not know who makes the processor.

Thanks..

Re: Motherboard model number and manufacturer?

Any idea what the IBuyPower model number of the PC is? Any paper work at all, a link to where you bought it? Emails if you bought in on line? Find it on IBuyPower's website? My ASRock board's serial number has nothing in it that is related to the model number that I can see.

IBuyPower sells many different models of PCs, you must give us some more information to go on.

Usually a mother board has some kind of writing on it that shows the model, for example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	asr z87ex6 pic.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	754180

Near the middle of the board we find ASRock Z87 Extreme6, which might be hidden by a video card, but it's worth looking.

Occasionally a board manufacture might make mother board models only for a manufacture like IBuyPower, so it might be difficult to get a manual.

Did your problem just start happening after the PC worked, or is it doing this out of the box?

Comment

The computer is two years old. We had a power outage, and now it won't boot. It won't post, and I don't hear any post codes, but all of the fans power up, and the case lights too. I went out and bought a new power supply, but that doesn't seem to work. Tried resetting the cmos, using the jumper, that didn't work. Tried pulling the cmos battery out. That didn't work. Took the ram out, one stick at a time, and that didn't work. Took the video card out, that didn't work. Disconnected the hard drive, (which does spin up) that didn't work. Took them all out, drive, all the ram, and video card, that didn't work. I get no beeps.

Here's the history. This is the second power-out issue event. A few weeks back, power went out, and the computer wouldn't post, no video out, just like now. Took it to best buy, they hooked it to their monitor, and it booted! (I've check our monitor with another PC. Works fine.) I took the computer home, tried to start it, and no luck again. Same issue. Won't post, no beeps, no video-out. Then I had an idea. I disconnected it from our surge protector strip (a few other things are connected to it) and I connected the power cord directly into the outlet. It booted up! I figured the surge protector had taken a hit and couldn't output the voltage or amps that the computer needed. So I left the computer plugged directly into the outlet, and ordered a new surge protector.

I received the surge protector, but I forgot to plug the computer into it. So, then, a few weeks later, we had another power outage, and the computer was plugged directly into the wall at the time! First thought is that a surge fried something, but because of the first issue we had, a few weeks prior, it makes me wonder whether it's actually something else wrong. Perhaps the same thing that prevented the computer from posting the first time a couple of weeks ago.

Corrupt CMOS? I tried to reset it by using the jumper and by removing the battery. Any idea??? Help! ; ) Maybe there is NO onboard speaker? I'm nearly positive there is. I remember hearing the thing post and beep before.
      Last edited by blacktop; 03-07-2014, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Could be an onboard speaker, the ASRock boards I have don't. But the PC may not be getting to the point where it would beep, it does not sound like it.

Interesting that the power outage took out the surge protector to the point it would not pass power through it! That is good, but IMO indicates a nasty spike in the first place.

Some PC power supplies have the same part used in surge protectors (called a MOV), which may have been damaged by the second spike. Hopefully (believe it or not) the power supply is the only thing that was damaged in the second incident.

Do you have a friend with a PC that might have a spare power supply you can try? If the PC does nothing, no fans running or any LEDs on the board lighting up, it could be no power getting to the board.

If you use a wired connection for your Internet connection to the PC, you can try this for a test: With the PC plugged into AC power, turn the switch on the power supply to off. Let it sit like that for a minute or two. Then find where the cable you use to connect the PC to your network/Internet source plugs into the PC. There are normally one or two small LEDs right next to the jack where the Internet cable plugs in. Watch that area closely, and turn the PSU switch on. Within about 5 seconds, you should see one or more of those LEDs lighting up and flashing on and off.

If you don't see the LEDs come on, either the board is not getting power from the power supply, or the board itself may be ruined.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          Could be an onboard speaker, the ASRock boards I have don't. But the PC may not be getting to the point where it would beep, it does not sound like it.

Interesting that the power outage took out the surge protector to the point it would not pass power through it! That is good, but IMO indicates a nasty spike in the first place.

Some PC power supplies have the same part used in surge protectors (called a MOV), which may have been damaged by the second spike. Hopefully (believe it or not) the power supply is the only thing that was damaged in the second incident.

Do you have a friend with a PC that might have a spare power supply you can try? If the PC does nothing, no fans running or any LEDs on the board lighting up, it could be no power getting to the board.

If you use a wired connection for your Internet connection to the PC, you can try this for a test: With the PC plugged into AC power, turn the switch on the power supply to off. Let it sit like that for a minute or two. Then find where the cable you use to connect the PC to your network/Internet source plugs into the PC. There are normally one or two small LEDs right next to the jack where the Internet cable plugs in. Watch that area closely, and turn the PSU switch on. Within about 5 seconds, you should see one or more of those LEDs lighting up and flashing on and off.

If you don't see the LEDs come on, either the board is not getting power from the power supply, or the board itself may be ruined.
          Thanks for the reply Parsec. Actually, I did go out and buy a brand new power supply, hooked it up, and the computer will still not boot. I don't even think it's posting, but I'll have to check the speaker. The motherboard fans do in fact come on, and so does the PCI video card. The motherboard model is P67 Pro 3 SE. I ordered one of those $5 diagnostic cards and should receive it on Monday. I just went out and bought a new battery for the cmos, and will install it tomorrow to see whether that has any effect.

Comment

Well, that's good and not good. POST would display the ASRock or IBuyPower logo screens, or other text on the monitor. If you have a speaker and POST completes, you'll get one short beep, if there are errors during POST, you'll get multiple beep codes. Some boards can turn the beeping on or off in the BIOS.

If you get nothing at all on the monitor, it did not start to POST.

Another thought, power surges, etc, can damage other things too, like monitors. Does your monitor's LED light up, and does it go into sleep mode due to no signal? If the monitor goes to sleep, that means no signal from the video source.

Your board has no video outputs for the on-CPU graphics, which would be something to try if you could. Impossible to check if the video card is damaged without having another.

So the board is getting power, and the fans running is a good sign, but not conclusive, the video card, CPU, or other parts on the board still could be damaged. If your drives were dead, the board would still POST. The board needs the CPU to work in order to POST.

Just to check, be sure to connect the eight (or four) pin CPU power cable to the plug at the top of the board, the CPU won't run without it.

If you have any external devices connected by USB, unplug them, besides the mouse and keyboard of course.

If you didn't find your board's page at ASRock, this is it: ASRock > P67 Pro3 SE I doubt if the manual will be of any help diagnosing your problem.

Let us know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              Well, that's good and not good. POST would display the ASRock or IBuyPower logo screens, or other text on the monitor. If you have a speaker and POST completes, you'll get one short beep, if there are errors during POST, you'll get multiple beep codes. Some boards can turn the beeping on or off in the BIOS.

If you get nothing at all on the monitor, it did not start to POST.

Another thought, power surges, etc, can damage other things too, like monitors. Does your monitor's LED light up, and does it go into sleep mode due to no signal? If the monitor goes to sleep, that means no signal from the video source.

Your board has no video outputs for the on-CPU graphics, which would be something to try if you could. Impossible to check if the video card is damaged without having another.

So the board is getting power, and the fans running is a good sign, but not conclusive, the video card, CPU, or other parts on the board still could be damaged. If your drives were dead, the board would still POST. The board needs the CPU to work in order to POST.

Just to check, be sure to connect the eight (or four) pin CPU power cable to the plug at the top of the board, the CPU won't run without it.

If you have any external devices connected by USB, unplug them, besides the mouse and keyboard of course.

If you didn't find your board's page at ASRock, this is it: ASRock > P67 Pro3 SE I doubt if the manual will be of any help diagnosing your problem.

Let us know what happens.
              The monitor is ok, I checked it with a laptop. The CPU power cable is connected. I may have another video card laying around that I can try. As I understand it though, I should still get beeps even if there is no card installed. I removed the existing card, still no beeps. I want to check the motherboard speaker. Thanks, I did find the manual. I notice that it's pin 18 that has the speaker pins. I don't remember seeing anything connected to it, and I'm pretty sure there is no speaker soldered to the motherboard. I do know there is a speaker somewhere that would beep during post, as I remember using it to enter safe mode a few months back. I'll have to check that out.

Comment

Some PC cases have a speaker built into the case. That is kinda old school now, but it works. The connection is just two wires or one plug into the board. Built in speakers on boards is really old school now, I doubt your board has one.

You're right it should beep without a card, or without memory. But I really get the feeling that board is not even starting POST, sorry to say. Frankly, I would not depend on POST beep codes to diagnose your problem, they are rather basic, memory or video issues mainly.

The diagnostic card you're getting will hopefully show POST codes, two digit numbers that tell you what part of the POST process failed. But if you get no codes, the board is likely damaged, and code "00" usually means a dead CPU.

Comment

Working...
                X