Can't get into BIOS - any help appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get into BIOS - any help appreciated

I've got an Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 and I can't get into the UEFI BIOS with either F2 or Del. F11 doesn't get into the boot menu either.

I reinstalled Windows earlier today (which meant a lot of drive swapping) and the BIOS seems to have vanished - although that's impossible because Windows starts!

I've tried removing & reinstalling the CMOS battery but still no access to BIOS.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Can't get into BIOS - any help appreciated

Lemme guess, you enabled Fast Boot ?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      Lemme guess, you enabled Fast Boot ?
      No, I don't think I've even got Fast Boot, I don't recall seeing it in UEFI - what/where is it? (If it's on the Asrock DVD I never installed it).

Comment

Fast boot is a BIOS option available on some boards, disabled by default, but I don't think that is your issue.

Did you install your Logitech keyboard's driver/software yet? It sounds like your keyboard is not recognized during POST.

I know what you may be thinking, how does Windows software for a keyboard affect its detection during POST. Believe me, it can, particularly wireless keyboards.

Or, what USB port is the wireless receiver plugged into? If you used a USB 3.0 port, move it to a USB 2.0.

Also, if you have a simpler, wired keyboard for example, try using that.

Comment

I definitely don't have Fast Boot (sounds like Das Boot!).

Anyway, I've found the culprit - it was a USB keyboard, an old wired Microsoft (not the wireless Logitech whose drivers aren't installed yet). I think the cable on the Microsoft is intermittently faulty where it goes into the moulded USB plug, probably caused by being bent too sharply. I swapped it for an even older IBM keyboard which is built like a tank and hey presto I could access the BIOS with one click of F2.

Having sorted that out I've now got problems with IE:
          1. This page won't open in IE - I just get a blank white page. I'm writing this in Chrome.
          2. Something very odd is going on with IE10 and Chrome. InPrivate and Incognito don't work when I right-click on their respective taskbar icons. Nothing at all happens - I just get a standard Windows folder icon which flashes on for a split second at the end of the taskbar.
          Last edited by Gromit44; 02-27-2014, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Ya know, all we can go by is your system specs, which lists the Logitech keyboard and mouse. But I figured it was a keyboard problem.

About your IE problem and this site, I use FFox but have had odd issues with this site on and off for a while now, and still do. They are all related to privacy plugins, extensions, whatever they are. For a test, disable them and see what happens.

I don't use either of the blockers you mentioned, but it seems like the various ad loaders used by this site react differently to being blocked, some just accept it and move on, others get stuck, or in a loop, and the page never finishes loading. Then add to that the way a browser reacts when this happens and the result is what you experience.

I changed to a different blocking plugin and my issues with this site stopped. But recently they seem to have started up again.

IMO, TTown forums seem to suffer from more spam, attacks, etc, than other sites. Or it might be the way the forum software is coded. I certainly do not know enough about all of this to come to a real conclusion about it, just my guess about it.

Definitely try disabling the blockers you mentioned for a test.

Comment

I've just tried this page with blockers disabled and enabled - and I can access it ok either way, so maybe #1 in post 5 above was just a one-off occurrence (?) We'll see.

That leaves #2, which is the real problem and a much trickier one to solve. Basically, right-clicking on three of the icons that are pinned to the taskbar (IE10, Chrome and Windows Explorer) is producing an error. Instead of performing any of the actions listed below all that happens is another icon appears & disappears further along the taskbar.
              • IE10 - Open new tab / Start InPrivate Browsing / any link in the Tasks group / any link in the Frequent group
              • Chrome - New window / New Incognito window / any link in the Tasks group / any link in the Most visited group
              • Windows Explorer - any link in the Most visited group

The icon that appears looks like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	754172

It disappears so fast it doesn't even have time to load fully.
              Last edited by Gromit44; 03-01-2014, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X