Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A88X ITX+ not posting with Kaveri Installed - BIOS has been updated

Hi Guys,

Been having a problem with my ITX Kaveri (7850k) build.
    I got all the parts together as I have done many a times with my builds. Everything seemed fine until I went to power on and there was no video. It won't post at all. After looking at the Asrock Website I see that I need BIOS version 1.50 to run Kaveri APUs, and my motherboard had 1.00 sticker on the BIOS chip.
    ASRock > FM2A88X-ITX+
    ASRock > FM2A88X-ITX+

So I purchased an AMD A4 4000, plugged it in and update the BIOS to 2.10, the latest version. I put the Kaveri back in and it won't post. So I put the A4 back in, flash the BIOS again, and also try 1.90 BIOS. After many attempts the Kaveri will still not post. The A4 works fine- I kept it in a continued to install windows just to get it running.
    I systematically treid each stick and slot of RAM, so it can't be that, and both sticks and slots work when the A4 is in place.

Am I missing something? Could the APU be faulty?

Outline of the build:
    A10 7850k APU
    FM2A88x ITX+ motherboard
    Crucial Ballistix RAM 2x4GB Modules @ 1333
    Kingston 512gb SSD
    Corsair 750w PSU (overkill but I had it lying around)

Re: A88X ITX+ not posting with Kaveri Installed - BIOS has been updated

Did you try clearing the BIOS when and or after placing the 7850k in the board?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Oh. Also, since I don't see what monitor you're using, use a computer monitor not TV when first setting a board up.

Any chance you have some different DDR3 there you can test with?
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
        Oh. Also, since I don't see what monitor you're using, use a computer monitor not TV when first setting a board up.
        Duh, it's early here.

Use VGA or DVI also, not HDMI as it sometimes matters.

Do you have a buzzer/speaker you can connect?

Comment

Hi Wardog,

Are you referring to using the jumper to clear the CMOS? If so, yes I tried that during my first attempt to get the Kaveri to work.

I have been connecting via HDMI to a HannsG monitor. Before the BIOS update I did try the Kaveri with all 3 connection types present on the board.
          However, after receiving the A4 I only used HDMI to connect. Using an A4 with HDMI does work, and all the RAM is picked up in the BIOS.

I can try the Corsair Platinum 2666 I have in my 2011 board. The RAM I have installed was present in my previous media station (Core2 Quad) and worked fine for over a year before this upgrade.

Also I do have a buzzer connected to the motherboard. Buzzer confirmed working when repeatedly pressing F2 to enter BIOS, I get the 'stop pressing the button' tone. I only get this tone with the A4 installed. I do not get this tone with the Kaveri installed
          Last edited by law000; 02-19-2014, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Yea, the jumper is what I was talking of. Bummer. Wishful thinking on my part.

re:Buzzer , is it making a (series of) noise at boot up maybe signalling an error with something on the MB? Doesn't appear it is as I'd hopefuly imagine you'd have mentioned it prior.

When switching the memory in/out on/off the board you'd do well to clear the BIOS between sticks/sets. I'm still shooting this is memory related.

If the HaansG has VGA I'd maybe start troubleshooting using that.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by law000 View Post
                Also I am not getting any of the POST beeps- I was expecting them but it is utter silence. Literally all that happens is the fans spin and that is it!
                Ok, other than possibly memory related, when you had the 7850k out did you check for bent pins?

And I guess there's the long shot that the cpu itself was bad internally but that's a rarity.

Comment

Yes I checked for bent pins about 10 times using a torch to shine through the them and at all possible angles. The chip provided no resistance when inserting either, so I'm sure that it was physically perfect.
                  I had noticed that during the process of swapping it I'm and out that I had got thermal paste on one of the pins. However, I use a non conductive thermal paste, and I gently washed it off using lint free cloth with tweezers and isopropyl alcohol.
                  I tend to agree that the odds of the cpu being faulty is very very low, but I was at a loss.

If the cpu comes back as good, then I am at a loss and will approach the memory again. I have on order, although the no delivery date yet, 2x4gb corsair vengeance pro 2400. It will be the first thing I try when I get the kaveri back.

Comment

Update:

I returned the APU and have have confirmation today stating that a fault was found, and fault description was "No display".

Now I can't tell if they actually have tested it, but it does correspond to my fault. Once I get a return I will plug it in and see what happens.
                    Also my Vengeance Pro turned up today, so should be able to get it all in and running.

Comment

Further and final update:

Kaveri APU had been found faulty by vendor. I put the replacement in my system and the fault occurred exactly as before.
                      As per -wardog-'s advice above, I switched out the Crucial Ballistix for some Corsair Vengeance LP that my father had - booted first time.

So, it would appear that the Kaveri is rather picky on the RAM it takes!

In fact after the first boot into windows, I turned the PC off, reassembled it with the PSU in, put the case back on etc, and the boot time to windows was unmeasurable. I mean it was literally seconds. The windows 8 symbol flashed for half a second and then windows was up and running!

PS- Thank you -wardog-

Comment

A lot of hassle. Enjoy it.

Comment

Working...
                        X