CPU heatsink doesn't fit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU heatsink doesn't fit.

I emailed tech support, but since they don't have a telephone number because reasons, I'm coming here. I bought an ASRock 990 Extreme9 because PCPartPicker said it would work with my AMD FX-8350. I went to install them and found that the heatsink will not latch on. I've tried Googleing it, and the only related search was said that the guy had to press really really hard. I've wasted all my thermal paste, and have bent a pin on my CPU. What's going wrong, and will my CPU even work now?
    NXZT Phantom Enthusiast Full Tower
    ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ ATX
    AMD 8350 FX
    1 TB VelociRaptor 3.5" Internal HDD 10000 RPM
    Antec TruePower Classic series TP-650C 650W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply
    EVGA 04G-P4-2768-KR GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support SC 4GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card
    G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C10D-16GAO (x4)
    Asus PCE-N53 PCI-E Adapter Dual-band Wireless-N600
    LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner, Bare Drive, 3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - OEM

Re: CPU heatsink doesn't fit.

Your board supports AMD socket AM3+ processors, like your 8350, which is listed in the board's CPU support list. AM3+ processors all share the same physical design, size, etc, and any CPU cooler that is compatible with the AM3+ socket should work.

I assume you are using the stock CPU cooler that came with your 8350? Sorry but must ask, did you mount the CPU by first releasing and lifting the lever on the CPU socket, placing the CPU into the socket in the proper orientation, and then closing the lever on the socket and latching it into place? Sorry but I have no idea how much experience you have building PCs.

I checked some reviews of the 8350 at a major online retailer. I did see a couple that mentioned difficulty mounting the included CPU cooler. I then checked the reviews of your board for this issue, and did not see any.

Your board has been available since January of 2013. In over a year, I cannot recall any owners posting issues about mounting the stock or any CPU cooler on your board. It's possible that the CPU cooler or board you have are defective in some way, but that is very unusual.

How did a pin get bent on the CPU (I know, trying to mount the cooler...)? Do NOT try to mount or use the CPU in that condition!! You can try to VERY CAREFULLY and slowly bend the CPU pin back to its correct position, or if you bought it at a local PC store, have them try to do that. If you try that yourself, be sure you have small tools like a jewelers blade screwdriver, or very small and slim long nose pliers. If that pin breaks off, the CPU may never work. IF you were lucky, and that pin is one of many multiple ground pins, it might still work. Try Googling on fixing a bent AMD CPU pin for examples and suggestions.

Comment

Yes, I did latch it into place like the instructions said. I even tried to wiggle it to make sure it didn't move. I then applied some thermal paste, tried to mount the heatsink, pulled it back off, and it brought the CPU with it. When I finally did manage to get the heatsink on, it took all my weight and then some. That's over 200lbs. Now, after installing everything, I can turn it on, the fans work, heatsink is getting power, but I don't get any video. my bluray drive also closes the second it fully ejects the tray
      AMD 8350 FX
      EVGA 04G-P4-2768-KR GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support SC 4GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card
      G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C10D-16GAO (x4)
      LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner, Bare Drive, 3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - OEM

Comment

Originally posted by Farajah View Post
        Yes, I did latch it into place like the instructions said. I even tried to wiggle it to make sure it didn't move. I then applied some thermal paste, tried to mount the heatsink, pulled it back off, and it brought the CPU with it. When I finally did manage to get the heatsink on, it took all my weight and then some. That's over 200lbs. Now, after installing everything, I can turn it on, the fans work, heatsink is getting power, but I don't get any video. my bluray drive also closes the second it fully ejects the tray
        Yeah, didn't answer some of my questions, we need you to fill in your system specs in your user profile, or at least in a post in this thread.

Hopefully using all your weight to get the heatsink clipped in place did not damage the board, I'm surprised it didn't break.

Did you fix the CPU pin?

Comment

Yes, I fixed the pin. No guarantee I didn't damage more. My specs can be found here AMD FX-8350, EVGA GeForce GTX 760, NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker

CPU: AMD FX-8350
          Mobo: ASRock 990 Extreme9
          RAM: G.Skill Ares Series 32 GB
          HDD: Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB 10000 RPM
          Video Card: EVGA GeForce 760 4GB
          Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX
          Optical Surprise: LG WH14NS40
          Wireless Card: Asus PCE-N53 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-fi adapter
          Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Mid power case. Mine is red, I picked black on there.

I also got a second CPU cooler that I thought was attached somewhere, which I might try using once I get more thermal paste, assuming I didn't destroy the CPU. I popped the side panel off, and everything with a fan was working, but there was no video coming through at all. No start-up screen, no logo-screens, nothing. I also can't slip my OS disk in because the optic drive closes once it fully ejects for no visible reason.
          AMD 8350 FX

Comment

Originally posted by Farajah View Post
            I also can't slip my OS disk in because the optic drive closes once it fully ejects for no visible reason.
            In My Computer right click on the drive and select Eject. My guess is if it opens and immediately closes opening it this way it's defective.
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Working...
            X