Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! FM2A85X Extreme6 Raid 0 issues

Good Evening!

I am trying to install windows 7 with two western digital 165gb hard drives set as raid 0, already them up under the on-board raid controller, bios sees both of them and individual drives and the raid controller sees them as a singular disc but for some reason when o start the process to install windows 7, and to point the install at the raid drivers. i choose to install the x86 drivers since nothing even pops up when selecting driver to be installed. It pops up the error message " No new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media....I have tried multiple downloads of the drivers directly from the website, tried multiple images of windows 7, put on multiple thumb drives....I am lost on what i could do next, the weird thing is I know i have used this exact same setup before so im not sure where the problem is coming from

Re: Hello! FM2A85X Extreme6 Raid 0 issues

How did you create your RAID 0 array on your HDDs?

Windows 7... what? 32bit, 64bit? X86 drivers are for 32bit Windows. It sounds like the driver files are not right.

The download page you want for Windows 7 64 bit is : ASRock > FM2A85X Extreme6

The download file you want is just called: SATA RAID Driver, and it looks like it contains both 32 and 64 bit versions. That is a .zip file that must be first extracted, seems that you know that.

From the Floppy(AA75C) folder, you then want the Win7_RAID(3.3.1540.29) folder. The x64 folder contains just three files, ahcix64s.cat, ahcix64s.inf, and ahcix64.sys. Why RAID drivers are called AHCI is strange, but whatever. Copy those three files to the USB flash drive, or copy the three x86 folder files too.

You lost me on this: " i choose to install the x86 drivers since nothing even pops up when selecting driver to be installed."

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      How did you create your RAID 0 array on your HDDs?

Windows 7... what? 32bit, 64bit? X86 drivers are for 32bit Windows. It sounds like the driver files are not right.

The download page you want for Windows 7 64 bit is : ASRock > FM2A85X Extreme6

The download file you want is just called: SATA RAID Driver, and it looks like it contains both 32 and 64 bit versions. That is a .zip file that must be first extracted, seems that you know that.

From the Floppy(AA75C) folder, you then want the Win7_RAID(3.3.1540.29) folder. The x64 folder contains just three files, ahcix64s.cat, ahcix64s.inf, and ahcix64.sys. Why RAID drivers are called AHCI is strange, but whatever. Copy those three files to the USB flash drive, or copy the three x86 folder files too.

You lost me on this: " i choose to install the x86 drivers since nothing even pops up when selecting driver to be installed."
      Sorry, Windows 64bit was what i am trying to install.

When windows scans the drivers under x64 nothing shows up.

I have downloaded those exact drivers multiple times with the same result.

The only other thing i can think of is checking the Md5 of the downloaded drivers and the ISO then burning the image to a disc since going through with the thumb drive doesnt seem to be working.

Comment

Ok, just found something that is weird.

Your board has the AMD A85X (Hudson-D4) chipset, including the SATA and RAID support.

If you check the download page of the ASR FM2A88X EX6+ with the AMD A88X (Bolton-D4) chipset (different, but the same new chipset family), the F6 RAID driver download is completely different. This is that board's download page for Win 64bit:

ASRock > FM2A88X Extreme6+

Download the SATA Floppy Image ver:6.1.0.00117 file on that page, and just check the contents, very different.

I may be wrong, but how can the F6 drivers for the A85X and A88X chipset be that different. The F6 driver listed on your boards download page looks very similar to those on the ASR AM3+ boards, while your board is FM2.

Does this make any sense to you? Please check the F6 file for the FM2A88X EX 6 board, and tell me what you think.

Comment

Yep makes sense, and with the different drivers windows is still saying the same thing. Gunna try a copy burned to a disc

Comment

That figures. The new AMD RAID chipsets and drivers are very different than ones of the past. I really suggest checking your board's manual, and the RAID installation guide on your board's download page, you may be surprised.

Comment

FM2A85X Extreme6+ Win7x64 SATA RAID Driver (For system to read from floppy diskette during Windows installation) - http://66.226.78.21/downloadsite/dri..._XP(AA75C).zip

The below three files should be extracted from the above zip file and present on/at the root of the media when the F6 routine looks at the media(USB/Floppy) used. Also, please leave this media in place until after the first reboot during the OS install.

From : **directory unpacked to**\Floppy_Win8-64_Win8_Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(AA75C)\Floppy(AA75C) \Win7_RAID(3.3.1540.29)\x64:
              AHCIx64s.inf
              AHCIx64s.sys
              AHCIx64s.cat

The USB stick is to be formatted any "flavor' of FAT and should only contain the above three files on/at the root of the stick.

Newer RAID drivers can be obtained from the AMD Chipset Drivers download page HERE.

After running the dl'd exe file simply cancel out of the installation before proceeding/at first chance offered and look to where you indicated them unpacked to to find the files you need. I believe for the Hudson chipsets you'll find the three files mentioned above in **directory unpacked to**\13-4_vista_win7_win8_32-64_raid\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\hseries\RAID\W764A. Only copy the three files and not the msi installer file.
              Last edited by - wardog -; 02-17-2014, 08:47 AM. Reason: added **directory unpacked to** where req'd
              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I believe the OP did just that already, and then some...

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  I believe the OP did just that already, and then some...
                  I wish I could believe that. But seeings he stated
                  Originally posted by aforesaidace View Post
                  i choose to install the x86 drivers since nothing even pops up when selecting driver to be installed. It pops up the error message " No new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media....
                  and
                  Originally posted by aforesaidace View Post
                  When windows scans the drivers under x64 nothing shows up.

I have downloaded those exact drivers multiple times with the same result.
                  That infers the media with the files isn't FAT. Or that they haven't unpacked the drivers. I can't for the life of me think that DL'ing the drivers multiple times as they have would have resulted in multiple corrupted DL's.
                  #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                  ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Anyways, don't most extraction utils now warn of broken archives when extracting??

I dunno. I use WinRAR, and it warns me with a popup if an archive is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                      I wish I could believe that. But seeings he stated

and

That infers the media with the files isn't FAT. Or that they haven't unpacked the drivers. I can't for the life of me think that DL'ing the drivers multiple times as they have would have resulted in multiple corrupted DL's.
                      I see what you are saying, I take those things for granted. I mentioned unzipping the download file, but not the formatting of the USB drive. Never change from FAT unless absolutely needed.

I forgot at the beginning the board is one with the new AMD A8x chipsets, which are a whole new ballgame regarding RAID configuration. Recall the several threads here where the users were configuring through command line programs and options? No chance Win 7 has a built in RAID driver for this chipset.

When I checked the F6 RAID driver files for this board and an ASR A88x board, they were completely different. Most likely correct but surprised me. Couldn't find these drivers at StationDrivers, unless I missed them.

Comment

Well not sure what the inital issue was but tried it with a burned DVD instead of on a thumbdrive and it seemed to be running fine now

Comment

Working...
                        X