CPU Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CPU Cooler

I`m on a limited budget so keeping it below $200 or close is my budget on it. Whats your opinion on Samsung monitors? Sams Club has theirs on sale as well? The last time I read up on monitors there was only a small number of manufacturers and the rest were rebranded monitors but that was years ago. Looking for one that wont have as much ghosting as this HP monitor does with HD movies.

Originally posted by profJim View Post
    I bought my Asus 24" VH242H in January, 2009 and it's still going strong.
    Absolutely no pixel problems of any kind.
    The monitor's menu is user hostile at best and is not at all intuitive, but after dialing in the settings, I haven't used the menu for the past 4 years.
    No regrets at all with my monitor.

Right now I'm kind of thinking of buying a "shipped from Korea" 27 inch IPS monitor for $300 - $400. Going this route might be an unexpected adventure for many reasons. Surf the web and you will find articles, guides and forums that detail the good and possible bad points when you're not buying from an established name brand outfit.

The Newegg.com - 27" IPS, PLS Higher Resolution LCD / LED Monitors list includes several of the shipped from Korea to your home brands that you can order through Newegg if you're feeling lucky. Some of the brands appear to offer excellent quality monitors, but some claim that some of the monitors are "home made" using panels that were rejected by the major manufacturers. Be sure to carefully check out the specs, especially the type of video cables that are used in each model!

I'll probably chicken out and end up buying a name brand 24" IPS monitor that comes with a 3 year warranty.

Comment

Check out the Amazon and Newegg user reviews for the specific models that you are considering.
      I'm normally skeptical of most user reviews dealing with tech gear especially with motherboards, ram, etc. where too many idi0ts shouldn't be anywhere near tech components when they don't have the common sense to know that they really need expert help.

I found the user reviews helpful when I bought my monitor 5 years ago.
      To avoid unpleasant surprises I always download and thoroughly the user manual before I press the buy button for any hardware.
      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

The Asus model I was looking at the main complaints was that the color was usually all out of whack when first set up and that the menu isnt very user friendly. To me stuff like that usually takes a few minutes or so to figure out and get dialed in but I don't consider that a flaw. Like any new tv you need to learn how to use it properly that includes getting it dialed in.

Check out the Amazon and Newegg user reviews for the specific models that you are considering.
        I'm normally skeptical of most user reviews dealing with tech gear especially with motherboards, ram, etc. where too many idi0ts shouldn't be anywhere near tech components when they don't have the common sense to know that they really need expert help.

I found the user reviews helpful when I bought my monitor 5 years ago.
        To avoid unpleasant surprises I always download and thoroughly the user manual before I press the buy button for any hardware.

Comment

I agree, when I bought my Asus monitor it was way too bright. I spent about 10 minutes learning the OSD settings and getting the colors and brightness corrected. The one completely unexpected problem that I encountered was the the windows text was unbelievable poor and Illegible. The graphics looked fantastic, but I couldn't read any text. There was no mention of this type of problem in the many reviews I read. It took a while but through trial and error I found a setting that when turned down to almost zero, the screen text was then perfectly clear and I didn't have to readjust any of the other monitor settings. My major concern with a monitor is if there are reported problems that develop down the road.
          It was a rocky start but my monitor has been fine ever since.
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Another thing I just realized is that I`m going to need a monitor stand with it so I can have my line of site centered with the monitor. I read a few reviews that weren't to favorable in regards of text like in notepad and a few other programs like that but one reviewer found that one of the pre-set settings worked good for it.

I agree, when I bought my Asus monitor it was way too bright. I spent about 10 minutes learning the OSD settings and getting the colors and brightness corrected. The one completely unexpected problem that I encountered was the the windows text was unbelievable poor and Illegible. The graphics looked fantastic, but I couldn't read any text. There was no mention of this type of problem in the many reviews I read. It took a while but through trial and error I found a setting that when turned down to almost zero, the screen text was then perfectly clear and I didn't have to readjust any of the other monitor settings. My major concern with a monitor is if there are reported problems that develop down the road.
            It was a rocky start but my monitor has been fine ever since.

Comment

Presets were one of the first things I tried to clear up the text problem.
              I certainly hope that all manufacturers make many improvements in a 5 year time frame.

My personal preference is to have the top of my screen display about an inch or two above my eye level.
              To minimize color shift with TN (i.e. everday) monitors, we need to be sitting directly in front of the middle of the screen.

Comment

The Asus one sits about 3 inches shorter then my HP so I`m going to need a monitor stand to raise it and get it close to eye level with the center of the monitor, that's what I`m aiming for. Need to raise it about 4".

Presets were one of the first things I tried to clear up the text problem.
                I certainly hope that all manufacturers make many improvements in a 5 year time frame.

My personal preference is to have the top of my screen display about an inch or two above my eye level.
                To minimize color shift with TN (i.e. everday) monitors, we need to be sitting directly in front of the middle of the screen.
                Last edited by tplat; 02-22-2014, 02:56 AM.

Comment

When my eye level is in the middle of the screen height wise, the top 1 inch of screen is somewhat darker than with my eye level close to the top of the panel's display area. For me, this doesn't happen with the bottom of screen when my normal eye level is closer to the top. Obviously personal preference with the screen's tilt angel will have an affect on how noticeable the darkening or lightening effects will be.

To each his own.

Comment

Found this one on newegg. Its got good reviews and compared to how much a regular type stand that you would sit a monitor on it seems like it might work nicely. Well time for bed I gottaget up early.

ERGOTRON 33-310-060 Accessory - Monitor - Newegg.com

When my eye level is in the middle of the screen height wise, the top 1 inch of screen is somewhat darker than with my eye level close to the top of the panel's display area. For me, this doesn't happen with the bottom of screen when my normal eye level is closer to the top. Obviously personal preference with the screen's tilt angel will have an affect on how noticeable the darkening or lightening effects will be.

To each his own.

Comment

Gee, I don't know.
                      4% of the user ratings were three stars or lower and only 96% of the reviews rated it four or five stars.

From the stand's specifications:
                      Mounting Standards: VESA FDMI MIS-D, 100/75, C (hole pattern: 100 x 100 mm & 75 x 75 mm)
                      Some monitors are not compatible with the standard VESA mount pattern.
                      I've also seen a few monitor reviews where it was impossible to remove the monitor's vertical stand.

Make sure that your new monitor has the type of video input connection (DVI, HDMI, Display Port, or D-sub) that you prefer to use.
                      Some monitors come with some but not all of the video cables that can be used with the new monitor.

Let us know how your new monitor and stand work out.

Comment

I looked up the specs on it and it has HDMI, DVI-D & D-Sub for input connections as for connecting it to a taller stand its says its VESA compatible 100X100mm. As for a stand still ahvent decided between that one and a regula style one that the monitor with original stand would t on. Want to make sure that the Ergotron stand will sit high enough.

Gee, I don't know.
                        4% of the user ratings were three stars or lower and only 96% of the reviews rated it four or five stars.

I've also seen a few monitor reviews where it was impossible to remove the monitor's vertical stand.

Make sure that your new monitor has the type of video input connection (DVI, HDMI, Display Port, or D-sub) that you prefer to use.
                        Some monitors come with some but not all of the video cables that can be used with the new monitor.

Comment

Just ordered this monitor from Amazon and this height adjustable VESA mount from Newegg. Will post update on how well the monitor stand works and opinions on the monitor.

Amazon.com: ASUS VE248H 24-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor with Integrated Speakers: Computers & Accessories

ERGOTRON 33-310-060 Accessory - Monitor - Newegg.com

Comment

Gee, I don't know.

Just got the monitor delivered today and fortunately UPS didn't damage it like the last time I ordered a new monitor online and it was shipped using UPS. Going to hook it up in a few here.

Comment

Nice monitor, I got my Asus MX279H 27" about 3 months ago and It is stunning, hope you enjoy yours...

Comment

Yeaa, Asus seems to have nailed it with monitors. I like my PB238Q's just as well as you guys yours.

Joes MX is nice yet but I sit too close for a 27" , even with using Ergotron LX swing mounts.
                                #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                                ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Working...
                                X