z87e-itx make msata ssd boot drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z87e-itx make msata ssd boot drive

Hello, I just completed building a system with asrock z87e-itx motherboard. I have installed a ssd onto its msata connection. I have installed windows 7 x64 on it. It boots into it fine as long as I have another mechanical drive (seagate barracuda) also attached to the motherboard. but when I detach the mechanical drive, it doesn't recognize the msata as boot drive. In my bios i've set it up so that msata drive is 1st in the boot order. How can I make msata ssd my boot drive without needing another drive attached at the same time. thank you for any advice.

Re: z87e-itx make msata ssd boot drive

Originally posted by george7523 View Post
    In my bios i've set it up so that msata drive is 1st in the boot order.
    Can I take it that that statement means in the "Hard Drive BBS Priority" sub-menu and also at/as the "Boot Options #1" ?
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Re: z87e-itx make msata ssd boot drive

Did you install Windows with both the SSD and HDD in the PC and powered up?

If so, you are a victim of Window's wonderful habit of putting the MBR (Master Boot Record) on a different drive than the target OS drive. Why it does this, who knows, probably a way of making people not touch their PCs, or some security nonsense. This happens all the time with new Windows installs.

Since the MBR is not on the actual OS drive, when you remove the drive that has the MBR on it, no boot, plain and simple.

To fix this, ONLY have the OS drive connected to power in the PC. Then get your Windows installation media (disk, USB drive) and boot up to the installation media. Once that is running, select Repair (NOT install OS) and follow the prompts from there. The repair will put a MBR on the SSD, and you're fixed.

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
      X