Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 970 Extreme4 - Non graphics card in normally graphics card PCIe slot 2

Hi All,

This board has 3 x16 sized PCIe slots. I'm trying to run 3 IBM M1015 SAS cards in them. I'm having a few stability issues with ESXi and XenServer so I don't think it is software related. I'm running a pci video card.

Are there any known issues with running a non graphics card in the top most x16 slot (slot 2)?

Also in the Bios I have selected PCI as the video card. Everything boots but then randomly freezes completely with only a hard powerdown working.

thanks Josh

Re: 970 Extreme4 - Non graphics card in normally graphics card PCIe slot 2

Are the M1015's in IR mode still or have you flashed them over to IT mode? If IT, with or without the rom?

I've got four of 'em here but the most I've installed is two at once, and they were flashed IT mode.

And an FYI in case you aren't aware. Looking at the ASRock pages, PCIE5 on this MB is electrically/functionally an x4 slot.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

In the BIOS "Full Screen Logo" disabled and "AddOn ROM Display" enabled is anything of notice displayed while booting those three cards?

You state "Everything boots but then randomly freezes completely with only a hard powerdown working." How long before these freezes? Not even into the OS, or some spell after the OS has loaded?
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

All flashed to IT with p18 room but no bios. ESXi picked up all three, I'll have to double check the add on Rom. OS loads just locks up after random times. I'm trying with all three out at the moment see it might then something else.
        Josh

Comment

Working...
        X