• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P67 Extreme6 B3 Motherboard Problems

System Specs:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    P67 Extreme6 B3 Motherboard
    ASRock > P67 Extreme6
    ASRock P67 EXTREME6 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
    Bios Version L2.19 UEFI
    EVGA 6600 Video Card
    I5 2500k CPU
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9
    16 gigs of ram but only 8 is recognized atm
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9 - Newegg.com

This board has been rma'ed once before back in Febuary of 2013
    Owned for about 2 years this mobo

Problems:
    1. The board has recognized my old 8 gigs of ram with no problems. I bought another 8 gigs of ram and installed those but they are do not showup. All 4 sticks are the exact same ram. Originals are in the blue slots and new sticks are in white slots.
    2. The memory sticks do come with xmp profile but in the bios there is NO option to load xmp profiles and the board and bios is suppose to support xmp loading.
    3. The sticks of memory is suppose to be 1600 but in bios it showsup as 1333. The bios only gives the option of auto,1066 and 1333. This board is suppose to support higher.

I have tried clearing cmos both with the button in the back and removing the cmos chip for 5 mins and resetting.
    I have tried switching new and old ram and booting, was successful with either or but not all 4 at once. the 2 new sticks do not showup.
    The bios shows dual channel memory is activated.

Re: P67 Extreme6 B3 Motherboard Problems

First, your memory is not included in your board's compatibility list. That does not mean other memory will not work, but it remains an unknown unless someone with your board and identical memory and 16GB of it can confirm it works.

IF you have never seen the XMP profiles in the BIOS with your original 8GB of that memory, that is a sign that the compatibility is questionable. Also, the lack of a 1600 option for the memory speed is a sign about compatibility.

What voltage is being used for the memory now? If it is set to Auto, and you're not sure, check it. The spec is 1.5V. It's not unusual to need to increase the memory voltage when more DIMMs are used. So set it to 1.6V and see if it is detected. 1.65V would be the normal safe maximum to use. If it is detected at 1.6V, you could then try to reduce it a bit at a time if you are not comfortable with 1.6V

I noticed that there is a 1.35V model of your memory, but you are sure you have the 1.5V model?

Any memory with a speed of 1600 or above will default to a speed of 1066 - 1333. That is the default speed programmed into the memory, just like XMP data is the higher speed data included in the memory. Given memory that is compatible with a board, it will always start at the default lower speed. Memory manufactures do that on purpose, since they don't know what system the memory will be used with. They want it to boot the first time. Plus Intel's memory spec for CPUs like yours is 1333 max. Yes you can use faster memory just fine, it's done all the time, but the Intel spec is the guaranteed memory speed, anything beyond that is not. What is the highest Intel spec memory speed for the new Haswell processors? 1600.

Comment

I have seen xmp profiles for older bios on this board but the newest bios does not have the xmp showing up to be able to load em. I assumed asrock changed it for the 2.19 version.

All 4 sticks of ram are 1.5v and I have the bios set to use 1.5v

Motherboard has used the 2 old sticks of ram for 2 years with no problems. I decided to buy another 2 sticks of ram of the same brand and type and installed those into the white slots. The old ones were in the blue slots.

I have tried switching out both sets of ram and I can boot and it recognize 8 gigs of ram so I know all 4 sticks are good.

But it will not recognize 16 gigs of the same ram in all 4 slots.

Not sure what to try next. and Thank you for the response.

Comment

I could try to set the volts to 1.6 as you suggested and see if they recognize the additional ram.

The board is not overclocked and is using pretty much default settings atm until I can get the ram to be recognized.

Originally I had bought this ram with the board due to having a after-market Cooler Master for the cpu and was afraid any other ram but low profile wouldn't fit. Had read on newegg of others using this ram brand with the board when it was bought.
        Last edited by Bubba91873; 02-08-2014, 09:26 PM.

Comment

OK I tried your suggestion and I can only go as far as 1.56 volts before getting a bsod. Does not recognize the new ram at that new voltage.

Comment

Does the Corsair website for your first memory kit have a compatibility list that includes your motherboard model?
            Does your new memory kit have the exact same model number as your first kit?

Is the bios XMP option accessible when you boot with only your first memory kit installed?
            Did you try removing your first memory kit and replacing it with your second memory kit in the same slots?

Before you installed the new memory kit, did you first unplug the power supply's A.C. cable from the wall outlet?
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Does the Corsair website for your first memory kit have a compatibility list that includes your motherboard model?

No it does not have a compatibility list at this time. I don't remember seeing one 2 years ago when I bough the first kit. I just read others reviews on newegg wheni bought the board and they said they used it with the ram because of the cooler being too big for other ram types.

Does your new memory kit have the exact same model number as your first kit?
              Yes it is the exact same ram, voltage, and model number, same size, same speed etc.

Is the bios XMP option accessible when you boot with only your first memory kit installed?
              The bios option for xmp was available with older versions of the uefi bios with the old ram and showedup. It no longer showed up after my rma back in feb 2013 and the techs installed bios v2.19 at that time and I no longer saw the xmp profile option after that.

Did you try removing your first memory kit and replacing it with your second memory kit in the same slots?
              Yes I can boot with either pair of ram sticks no problem in either the white or blue slots, doesn't matter they all work.

Of course
              It would be quite dangerous to leave your computer plugged up and take anything out of it.Thats just asking for trouble.
              Last edited by Bubba91873; 02-08-2014, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Another test if you care to bother, and if you still know what the old and new set are (just sayin', easy to mix them up) is to use one stick from the old kit and one stick from the new kit, and see if the PC boots. All this would tell you is if the old and new sets of memory can work together at all. Yes I know what you're thinking, all the same model, but manufactures can change the memory chips with different production runs, depending upon how long ago you bought the first set.

If you haven't done this yet, set all the timings in the DRAM Configuration screen to Auto, which will be the easiest settings to use, and at least be recognized.

One other thing to do is increase the voltage to the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC), which is part of the CPU. That is the VCCSA voltage in the OC Tweaker screen in the BIOS. Note that this voltage is not the same as the DRAM voltage, it is lower and should be increased only a little bit each time, and not increased close to the maximum.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  Another test if you care to bother, and if you still know what the old and new set are (just sayin', easy to mix them up) is to use one stick from the old kit and one stick from the new kit, and see if the PC boots. All this would tell you is if the old and new sets of memory can work together at all. Yes I know what you're thinking, all the same model, but manufactures can change the memory chips with different production runs, depending upon how long ago you bought the first set.

If you haven't done this yet, set all the timings in the DRAM Configuration screen to Auto, which will be the easiest settings to use, and at least be recognized.

One other thing to do is increase the voltage to the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC), which is part of the CPU. That is the VCCSA voltage in the OC Tweaker screen in the BIOS. Note that this voltage is not the same as the DRAM voltage, it is lower and should be increased only a little bit each time, and not increased close to the maximum.
                  I will try that now and post back here. I didn't think it would be this much of a hassle to get this ram to be recognized. I kept the ram separate and they aren't mixed up so I know which ones are new and old.

Since I had used the ram as 8 gigs for the last 2 years. Figured another pair would be fine to put in it and I'd have 16 gigs.

Comment

ok I tried using one of the new sticks with an old stick and put both in the blue slot and they both booted up and was recognized by the system as 8 gigs. so they do work together.

the old sticks say they are version 8.16 but... the new sticks I just bought say they are version version 7.21, which I assume is even older then the old ones I had.

I set all the dram to auto and going to reboot with all 4 and see.

The 3rd suggestion Im not comfortable chaning the voltage on that.

Comment

Ok I just tried with 3 sticks and the 3rd isn't recognized.

I'm thinking maybe the white slots might be bad on the board ? I'm not sure.

Comment

Ok I tried the new ram in the white slots and that did boot and work so those slots are working.

Looks like I will send the new ram back to newegg and get a refund and try to buy ram that is on the compatibility list. Most are out of stock that's on the list.

Found these 2 brands that's suppose to work, and they are in stock still:

gskill
                        G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL - Newegg.com
                        that ram will not fit under the cooler that I have with those fins on it , no way ;/

Kingston hyper-x, these look like they will fit:
                        Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB Desktop Memory Kit - DDR3, (2 x 4GB), PC3-12800, 1600MHz, CL9, Intel XMP Ready at TigerDirect.com

any experience with this Kingston ram ?

motherboard memory compatibility list
                        ASRock > 404 Page Not Found Extreme6

Im open to any other ideas and thank you for your posts.

Comment

Two different URL's but both lists might be identical:
                          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Check out this G.Skill Memory Configurator List for your P67 Extreme6 motherboard:
                            G.SKILL - RAM Configurator

So many colors and styles, from DDR3-1066 to DDR3-1866 YES!!!

Comment

Thank you for the links.

Comment

Working...
                              X