ASRock z87 Extreme6 freezes on Bios Instant Flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock z87 Extreme6 freezes on Bios Instant Flash

When I try updating my bios using instant flash to the 2.20 bios, it just freezes when it shows its found the BIOS on the thumbdrive. It doesn't advance further in the process like the videos I've watch on it have. Any ideas?

Re: ASRock z87 Extreme6 freezes on Bios Instant Flash

So you are not able to click on the entry for the 2.20 BIOS file? That is what is normally done.

But some ASRock Z87 boards had a BIOS freezing issue, associated with the audio played in the BIOS. Do you know what BIOS version your board has currently? It might sound odd but did you have the audio active when you started the BIOS update? Not that you shouldn't, but it seems (is) related to the freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      So you are not able to click on the entry for the 2.20 BIOS file? That is what is normally done.

But some ASRock Z87 boards had a BIOS freezing issue, associated with the audio played in the BIOS. Do you know what BIOS version your board has currently? It might sound odd but did you have the audio active when you started the BIOS update? Not that you shouldn't, but it seems (is) related to the freezing.
      The audio is active by default, how do I disable that? Sorry, I normally get Asus, just got this ASRock board for my wife's build, no clue what to do with it.

Comment

The BIOS audio is turned on and off via the F4 key, when you're in the BIOS. I never had a freezing issue in the BIOS with this board, simply by not having any speakers connected, at least that worked for me. Use the F4 key too, but I never had to.

Instant Flash works very well, I've used it to flash this board and two ASRock Z77 boards, worked perfectly every time. There's no secret getting it to work, you must have a board with a very early BIOS, others had this issue, I never did and my board had version 1.20. The freezing issue was fixed in a later version, well before the oldest 1.90 version listed now.

Comment

The version of the BIOS on the board is 1.90, is that the one with the sound issues?

Comment

I forget which version had the problem, there were versions before 1.90, but that version could be the first that supposedly fixed that issue given the description, and that earlier versions are no longer listed.

Still having problems with that? Did you try the Internet Flash option, that downloads the BIOS file and updates it? I used that once... accidentally, since I assumed it would take you to another screen before it started, or display a confirmation, but it just starts the process without warning. It worked so no harm done.

Still having problems?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              I forget which version had the problem, there were versions before 1.90, but that version could be the first that supposedly fixed that issue given the description, and that earlier versions are no longer listed.

Still having problems with that? Did you try the Internet Flash option, that downloads the BIOS file and updates it? I used that once... accidentally, since I assumed it would take you to another screen before it started, or display a confirmation, but it just starts the process without warning. It worked so no harm done.

Still having problems?
              I'll try internet flash, and see how that goes.

Comment

Working...
              X