Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock vision ht (haswell)

Hello,
    I have a VISION HT 321B (IVY BRIDGE) and I had upgraded it with processor intel I7 3520M last year.
    Now I would like to buy the new VISION HT 400D with HASWELL and I want to upgrade it with processor Intel HD Graphics 5200 :

I7-4950HQ or I7-4850HQ or I7-4750HQ

BUT I checked the CPU compatibility list and there is no I7 intel HD Graphics 5200 listed???

So it is a mistake or this is really not compatible ?

If someone can answer me...
    Thank you

Re: Asrock vision ht (haswell)

Well those CPUs you suggested are not on the list which probably means they are not supported..

Comment

Originally posted by chris2u View Post
      Well those CPUs you suggested are not on the list which probably means they are not supported..
      Hi, Thanks for your help, I don't understand why they couldn't be supported :
      - "H" : 4 core + iGPU GT3e, TDP 37 et 47 watts
      But it seems that they have not been tested, that's all, and the reason I ask here...I thought that someone had tested, maybe I'm not on the right forum......

Comment

Don't know if this will help, but this link lists that the i7-4950HQ is compatible with QM87, HM87 and HM86 chipsets.

The Vision HT 400D specs on the AsRock website say it has a HM87 chipset. It also says it is compatible with "i7/i5/i3 Mobile Haswell Processor Family".

Just because a CPU is not on the list doesn't mean it won't work. They cannot test every possible compatible CPU. The other thing to consider is that the manual was published in October 2013, and the i7-4950HQ was released in "Q3-2013". It is entirely possible that the CPU wasn't even available for testing at the time they put together the CPU list because hadn't been released yet.
        (Not saying that is what happened in this case, just that it is possible).

MAIN PC
        CPU
        - i7-3820 @ 3.60Ghz
        MB - AsRock X79 Extreme6 (Bios P2.80)
        RAM - 2 x 8Gb Patriot Viper 1866 CL10 Series @933Mhz
        GPU - ASUS Radeon HD 7870 Direct CU II (2Gb) x 2 (XFire)
        CASE - Fractal Design Desire R4 Black Case (windowless)
        FANS - Standard Fan CPU, 5 x FD Silent 2 140mm Fans in case
        PSU - Thermaltake R2 800W
        SSD - Sandisk SDSSDHP2 240Gb (boot)
        HDD - 2 x Seagate ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
        SYS - Win7 x64 Ultimate
        KB - Logitech K350 Wireless
        MOU -
        Razor Naga Molten mouse
        MON - ASUS VS247H (1920 x 1080)
        UPS - Belkin Line Interactive 1400VA 840W
        System is not overclocked at all.
        2ND PC
        AMD FM2 A10-7850K @ 3.70Ghz
        AsRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ (Bios P2.90)
        2 x 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Kaveri Spectre Desktop (onboard) @ 760Mhz
        Thermaltake V9 case (1 x 120mm, 1 x 240mm fan)
        Corsair H80i Water Cooler w/2 x 120mm fans
        Seasonic G-Series (SSR-650RM Active PFC F3) 650W

OCZ Vertex 4 120Gb SSD (Boot)
        2 x ST2000DM001 2Tb HDD (Storage)
        Win7 X64 Ultimate
        Logitech G15 (6 G Keys) USB
        Logitech MX-518 mouse
        Phillips 22HFL3350D/10 (1920 x 1080)
        NAS - Netgear RN104-100AJS 4 Bay (not hooked in)
        Not overclocking

Comment

While you await a reply here from someone who has, why not ask ASRock themselves by clicking HERE.

ASRock staff are celebrating Chinese New Year till the 14th.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Yes you are right Spyone1, I saw too that the chipset was compatible and the TDP shouldn't be a problem so I think it works I will try when I will receive it all (I7 iris and 400D...) I take the risk...thanks

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
              While you await a reply here from someone who has, why not ask ASRock themselves by clicking HERE.

ASRock staff are celebrating Chinese New Year till the 14th.
              Because I have not already bought the 400D and I can't give the informations they need (serial number for exemple...), if not you can't send them the request...but I'm going to buy the 400d and request before changing to an I7 HQ...
              Thanks for your help I have to go...

Comment

Well, be sure to come back and let us know how well the I7-4950HQ or I7-4850HQ or I7-4750HQ BGA1356 CPU's fit in the G3 socket the 400D and 420D has.

I'll be all ears.
                #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Well, be sure to come back and let us know how well the I7-4950HQ or I7-4850HQ or I7-4750HQ BGA1356 CPU's fit in the G3 socket the 400D and 420D has.

I'll be all ears.
                  Oh geez, nice call on that one... I wonder if the OP gets it.

Comment

I'll be all ears.
                    How were you able to figure out that the 420D has a G3 socket? I don't see that information on the Asrock site or in the online manual.

Comment

Originally posted by dgg View Post
                      How were you able to figure out that the 420D has a G3 socket? I don't see that information on the Asrock site or in the online manual.
                      The best way to do that is choose a processor or two from the 420D's CPU Support List, and check Intel's specs for the socket type.

Let's choose the i7-4600M processor from the 420D's CPU Support List, and simply Googling for it gives us this link:

Scroll down a bit and find the Sockets Supported line, and we find FCPGA946, otherwise known as socket G3. Some more searching reveals that Intel CPUs whose "SKU" has an 'M' suffix are socket G3 compatible. The i7-4600M (the SKU) fits this description. We then infer that the 420D has the G3/FCPGA946 socket.

Doing a similar search on the I7-4950HQ gives us this link:

Again checking the Sockets Supported line, and we find FCBGA1364. Intel mobile processors have multiple sockets, so we should double check for other names for FCBGA1364, but the I7-4950HQ SKU does not have the 'M' suffix, so shouldn't be socket G3 compatible, and it isn't.

Any PC that uses an Intel mobile processor must be closely checked for its socket type when attempting to change to a different processor. I say attempt because in many cases, you cannot change the processor, it is soldered in place.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                        The best way to do that is choose a processor or two from the 420D's CPU Support List, and check Intel's specs for the socket type.

Let's choose the i7-4600M processor from the 420D's CPU Support List, and simply Googling for it gives us this link:

Scroll down a bit and find the Sockets Supported line, and we find FCPGA946, otherwise known as socket G3. Some more searching reveals that Intel CPUs whose "SKU" has an 'M' suffix are socket G3 compatible. The i7-4600M (the SKU) fits this description. We then infer that the 420D has the G3/FCPGA946 socket.

Doing a similar search on the I7-4950HQ gives us this link:

Again checking the Sockets Supported line, and we find FCBGA1364. Intel mobile processors have multiple sockets, so we should double check for other names for FCBGA1364, but the I7-4950HQ SKU does not have the 'M' suffix, so shouldn't be socket G3 compatible, and it isn't.

Any PC that uses an Intel mobile processor must be closely checked for its socket type when attempting to change to a different processor. I say attempt because in many cases, you cannot change the processor, it is soldered in place.
                        Hello, you are right, and It is too bad that 420D doesn't work with HD pro 5200 or higher...by the way there is I7-4712MQ and I7-4710MQ ...I think I'm going to wait the next generation... broadwell and a new Vision HT ...

TY

Comment

The i7-4712MQ and I7-4710MQ are Haswell refresh processors, using the G3 socket, but still only have 4600 graphics. They seem to have SKUs that violate Intel's rules, but they still have the 'M' in the SKU.

The lack of 5200 graphics support in the Vision HT Haswell line is mainly caused by Intel, and much less by ASRock's design decision.

Intel has not produced a socket G3 processor with 5200 graphics, for whatever reason.

ASRock's choice of the G3 socket allows multiple processor choices, that apparently the owner can change. The FCBGA1364 socket processors are soldered into place, and cannot be changed by the user, as is the case with the typical laptop PC.

Comment

Working...
                          X