ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ Motherboard w/ Kaveri Not Showing Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ Motherboard w/ Kaveri Not Showing Video

I recently purchased a brand new ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ motherboard from Newegg. I am putting it in a brand new system. Here are the components that I am using:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133

LG Black Blu-ray Drive UH12NS30

AMD A10-7850K Kaveri Processor AD785KXBJABOX

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 500GB Solid State Drive

SAPPHIRE 100364-4GBF4L Radeon R9 270X 4GB GDDR5 Video Card

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply

After I assembled the system and powered it on, I get no video displayed on my screen. I don't even get any sort of bios screen. I have tried powering on the system with and without the video card installed.

I have a couple of specific questions:

What version of the bios is shipped already installed? Purchased board on January 24th.

What else can I do to get this system working? What might I be missing?

Re: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ Motherboard w/ Kaveri Not Showing Video

Assuming the board is new and you didn't get one that someone else had prior, look at the lower left below the SATA and there is a white sticker over the BIOS that has the original shipped BIOS revision printed on it.

There was a recent thread here concerning just this, don't remember if it was the same board or not, but ASRock Emily answered that the BIOS would recognize Kaveri even if on the CPU Support pages that particular BIOS revision was prior to Kaveri. User acknowledged this was true, it did, and once the system was deemed stable he upflashed to the current Kaveri supported BIOS revision.

My guess. Take the R9 270x out, clear the BIOS and reboot. Seen alot of probs with older BIOSes and newer gfx cards. Once it boots using Kaveri's iGPU, and it's deemed a stable system, upflash the BIOS to the latest released NON-BETA and try reinserting the 270x.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Also, Internet and Windows Flash methods are sometimes problematic.

I suggest using the Instant Flash method ONLY.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

The sticker says that the bios version is 1.20. The ASRock website says that FM2+ support was added in Bios v1.40. Will I not be able to use the mobo with Kaveri until it is updated? Am I able to update the mobo without a cpu?

Comment

Who said anything like removing the CPU ??

Please re-read my post # 2 above. The last line I wrote there.

Comment

Were you able to post after removing the R9 and clearing the BIOS ??

Comment

I have removed the R9 and cleared the BIOS, but it still will not post.

Comment

Don't flame me for asking as it's commonly overlooked.

Have you connected the 4pin ATX power from the PSU to the motherboards 4pin ATX12V1 socket that is located just above the PCIE1 slot?

Comment

I'm not flaming. I'm just trying to be as clear as possible. You have been very helpful so far. Thanks for the replies!

And yes, I have the 4 pin 12v plug connected.

Comment

1. Do you or a friend have a different set of memory to test with? I don't see that particular set listed on the G.Skill RAM Configurator for this board HERE. Not saying it is not compatible but it's the easiest thing to check.

2. Reseat all your cards, reseat all power connections of the PSU/MB/fans, and also look at the back I/O panel that none of the "tangs' of the I/O plate itself made their way into any of the MB's ports, causing a short.

3. Remove it from the case and bench the MB on top of the bare box the MB came in. Bare like. No HDD/ODD/USB or the like connected. Do not put anything between the MB and box when you do this. Folks sometimes put the anti-static bag the MB came in between but that bag can sometimes be metalicized, thus conductive. Big no no there. Sparks, smoke, that fresh smoldering aroma, or worse.

4. As a last resort, pull the CPU and check for bent pins.

Comment

i am having the same problem with my build i just bought the same MB but paired it with amd a10-6800 k richland 4.1ghz CPU and i had a few other problems other that this but they were my goof's. i have version 1.4 bios at least thats what the sticker says i have tried removing and reinstalling the RAM, clearing the CMOS everything is plugged in, i am using the integrated video in the MB i dont have a dedicated video card.

not trying to hijack your thread just having the same problem and the only thing common to our problem is the MB that i can see i also bought form newegg on the jan 22

Comment

Jeremy, your memory model (G.SKILL F3-2133C10D-16GXM) is not listed in your board's compatibility list, or any G.SKILL GXM memory whatsoever. The limited specs on the Newegg page for your memory mentions Intel socket 1155 compatibility, but nothing about AMD. G.SKILL's site might list AMD compatibility, but nothing in the ASRock memory compatibility list is not a good sign.

It looks like the first compatible BIOS is version 1.50, not 1.40 (first entry in the list): ASRock > FM2A88X-ITX+

ben1981, the board might be all you have in common with the OP, but it would help to know what memory you have, etc. Your CPU is compatible with all BIOS versions.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                          Jeremy, your memory model (G.SKILL F3-2133C10D-16GXM) is not listed in your board's compatibility list, or any G.SKILL GXM memory whatsoever. The limited specs on the Newegg page for your memory mentions Intel socket 1155 compatibility, but nothing about AMD. G.SKILL's site might list AMD compatibility, but nothing in the ASRock memory compatibility list is not a good sign.

It looks like the first compatible BIOS is version 1.50, not 1.40 (first entry in the list): ASRock > FM2A88X-ITX+

ben1981, the board might be all you have in common with the OP, but it would help to know what memory you have, etc. Your CPU is compatible with all BIOS versions.

well i took everything back off and out of the case and put everything back in and it booted up i just finished installing windows, idk what it was but something wasn't installed correctly. i have g skill ripjaws x series ddr3 1600 8gb 2 4gb sticks model number f3-12800cl9d-8gbxl

hope OP gets issue resolved GL man

thanks wardog, and parsec for your help

Comment

I found that my memory modules were not mounted correctly. One I reseated them, my system worked like a charm. Was able to Instant Flash the latest bios, and I am not installing Windows. Thanks for your help guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy Dean Coggins View Post
                              I found that my memory modules were not mounted correctly. One I reseated them, my system worked like a charm. Was able to Instant Flash the latest bios, and I am not installing Windows. Thanks for your help guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X