X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AM2NF3 Problem: Kernel-Processor-Power Event ID: 6

Processor: AMD Athlon X2 5200+ Dual-Core
    Crucial Memory: 2 x 1GB 240-Pin 128M DDR2

I have just successfully updated the BIOS to version 3:30 and PC is working fine.

My concern is the error that keeps appearing on bootup in: Event Viewer>System

Event ID:6
    Some processor performance power management features have ben disabled due to a known firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

I build the PC myself from assembled parts and I am at a loss of how to correct or prevent the error from occurring.

Any help much appreciated.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Racephotos; 01-29-2014, 03:29 PM. Reason: missing words

Re: AM2NF3 Problem: Kernel-Processor-Power Event ID: 6

What OS or version of Windows are you using?

Very little information here. Did this event just start happening after the BIOS update, or did it occur before that?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      What OS or version of Windows are you using?

Very little information here. Did this event just start happening after the BIOS update, or did it occur before that?
      Hi parsec, thanks for getting on my case.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x32bit installed and the event error was happening before I updated the BIOS. The BIOS version was 2.60 before I updated it to 3.30. I took the bit of the error message "a known firmware error" to refer to the outdated BIOS version, but the update has not helped.

I build the PC in 2010 and installed Windows XP. I have recently updated to Windows 7 because of Microsoft's withdrawal of support for XP.

This is when the error first appeared. It is the only message I am getting.

The only other firmware that I have my doubts about are the drivers for the graphic card which is: GeForce FX5200 AGP8x and the only updated drivers I could find were for Vista. I am not sure if the error could refer this as it states "kernel-processor-power".

Thank you.

Comment

The kernel processor power related error is a combination of Windows 7 (the kernel part) and your processor.

What I think has happened, when you changed to Windows 7, you did not have a version of the Cool n Quiet driver (Cool'n'Quiet 3.0 was the XP version I think) available to use with Windows 7. Do you have a CnQ driver installed?

I think I saw that a Windows 7 hotfix is available for this issue, check AMD's site for a link, or Microsoft.

This error is not a terrible issue that will compromise your Win 7 installation. The CPU's power saving feature is not working correctly.

Comment

The kernel processor power related error is a combination of Windows 7 (the kernel part) and your processor.

What I think has happened, when you changed to Windows 7, you did not have a version of the Cool n Quiet driver (Cool'n'Quiet 3.0 was the XP version I think) available to use with Windows 7. Do you have a CnQ driver installed?

I think I saw that a Windows 7 hotfix is available for this issue, check AMD's site for a link, or Microsoft.

This error is not a terrible issue that will compromise your Win 7 installation. The CPU's power saving feature is not working correctly.
          Thanks for pointing me in the right direct parsec.

When I originally built the PC I did enable Cool n' Quiet in the BIOS. I neglected to do this after I had installed Windows 7.

I have now enable Cool n' Quiet in the BIOS and the error message has gone away which is great, a big thank you.

There was a warning message when I enabled it that it might cause stability problems, but at the moment the PC is working mighty fine. The CPU temperature is running a couple of degrees lower than previously.

Thanks again and fingers crossed.

Comment

Good, I'm not sure why the event message mentioned firmware, and the message itself was not much help figuring out the problem.

Comment

Good, I'm not sure why the event message mentioned firmware, and the message itself was not much help figuring out the problem.
              I totally agree parsec.
              In general I find error messages very difficult to understand. And even if they can be understood, it can be difficult to pinpoint the problem. I think it's important that the error messages guide you a little more to where the problem is.
              So my biggest wish would be that the error messages are improved, and made more specific.
              I know this isn't going to happen, just my little moan.
              But in the meantime, it's reassuring to know that there are people out there with the knowledge who are prepared to help and some help files on the Internet keep me happy.
              Thanks once more for helping me to solve my problem.

Comment

Working...
              X