SATA Problems Z77 Extreme 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA Problems Z77 Extreme 4

My secondary hard drives keep disappearing. Ill shut the computer down everything is working fine and when i turn it back on a hard drive won't be detected ill have to repeatedly restart to get the drive to show up. This happens with my DVD drive, and 2 of my hard drives. I don't think its a possibility that all 3 of these devices magically started acting up so i am leaning towards it being a problem with the motherboard itself. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Re: SATA Problems Z77 Extreme 4

Very little information to go on, not even what OS you are using.

Is this a new problem, and you had no detection issues previously?

In the BIOS, Storage Configuration, is Aggressive SATA Link Power Management enabled? If so, disable it.

Comment

Windows 7 64 bit and i have that disabled. As for previous problems one of my hard drives died and gave I/O errors but i removed it and they went away. Now it just doesn't like detecting drives when it powers on from a cold boot for whatever reason. Sorry i didn't include OS in original post but its failing to detect it even in the bios when it does this so i didn't think that mattered.

Comment

Try clearing the BIOS either with the button on your board's I/O panel, or the internal jumper. Be prepared to reset any BIOS setting you need on the first start after clearing the BIOS. That's also a great time to check your boot order and drive detection.

Your board has a secondary SATA controller, the ASMedia 1061, whose two ports are at the top of the stack of SATA ports, with the board mounted in a PC case. Those ports don't usually work as well as the Intel SATA ports, if you are using the ASMedia ports, move all your drives to the Intel ports. Check your manual for details. Then clear the BIOS as I described above.

Also check and refit the SATA data and power cables.

Comment

Working...
        X