New motherboard restarting every 30 - 60 seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New motherboard restarting every 30 - 60 seconds

So i just got a new Asrock H87 Performance motherboard and an intel i5 4670.

Once i put everything together my and tried turning my pc on, no externals would work (mouse, keyboard, monitor etc.) and only the fans on the gpu and tower would work, it would also self restart itself ever 30 secs or so on an endless loop of turning on and off.

I tried taking it all apart and putting it back together but i only got the same results. I tried tightening the cpu fan, checked if there were any misplaced motherboard mounts, and took out the gpu, ram and hdd, i reset the cmos by moving the cap into a different position and also took out the motherboards battery and out it back in. still nothing.

So could it be a faulty motherboard?

My Ram, Gpu and hdd all work with my older motherboard and cpu just fine so i don't think they are causing the problem, but i could be wrong.

Specs (with new motherboard and cpu):

Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

CPU
    Intel Core i5 4670

RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
    ASrock Fatal1ty H87 Performance

Graphics
    3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (Gigabyte)

Storage
    931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA)
    298GB Seagate ST3320620AS (SATA)

700w Power supply

Re: New motherboard restarting every 30 - 60 seconds

Do you have the 4 or 8 pin CPU power cable connected to the board, located on the top left side of the board, as mounted in a PC case?

The memory from your old board is not guaranteed to work in this one unfortunately. What is the full model number and manufacture of the memory? When using two memory sticks, they should be inserted in slots two and four.

It seems that the fan on the CPU cooler is not working, is that right? What cooler are you using?

Do you have the little mother board "speaker" that lets you hear error code beeps connected to the board?

To make things simpler, remove the video card and just use the on-CPU graphics at first.

Does one of your HDDs have the Windows installation from your older PC on it? What board and CPU did that system use?

Did you have the keyboard and mouse connected to USB 2.0 ports on the board's I/O panel?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Do you have the 4 or 8 pin CPU power cable connected to the board, located on the top left side of the board, as mounted in a PC case?

The memory from your old board is not guaranteed to work in this one unfortunately. What is the full model number and manufacture of the memory? When using two memory sticks, they should be inserted in slots two and four.

It seems that the fan on the CPU cooler is not working, is that right? What cooler are you using?

Do you have the little mother board "speaker" that lets you hear error code beeps connected to the board?

To make things simpler, remove the video card and just use the on-CPU graphics at first.

Does one of your HDDs have the Windows installation from your older PC on it? What board and CPU did that system use?

Did you have the keyboard and mouse connected to USB 2.0 ports on the board's I/O panel?
      The 2x4 cables are connected to the cpu

The cpu fan is working fine

The exact memory im using is G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3, i tried only using one and switching them in every slot still did nothing, i also tried using an older ram stick i had laying around, it didn't do anything.

Yes i have a motherboard speaker, it made 3 short beeps when there were no Ram sticks connected to the motherboard otherwise it doesn't make any sounds.

I tried removing the graphic card and connected my monitor to the motherboard, still no response.

One of my hard drives have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit on it, the cpu was an I5 650 and the motherboard is an MSI IONA.

The first time i tured on the pc i did have the keyboard and mouse connected but i have'haven't put them back in since.
      Last edited by Remii; 12-27-2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Remii View Post
        700w Power supply
        Since you list in detail everything else above, is your PSU a no name or off branded generic 700w model?

That GTX780 req's a minimum 600w PSU. And I dare say a quality one with true output specs at that.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
          Since you list in detail everything else above, is your PSU a no name or off branded generic 700w model?

That GTX780 req's a minimum 600w PSU. And I dare say a quality one with true output specs at that.

it is a cooler master rs-700-pcaa-e3, it seems to be working fine with my old motherboard and cpu which is using the 780.
          Last edited by Remii; 12-27-2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

i had a proper look at the cpu pins on the motherboard it seems to have multiple pins out of place on the side, would this be the reason?
            Last edited by Remii; 12-27-2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Remii View Post
              i had a proper look at the cpu pins on the motherboard it seems to have multiple pins out of place on the side, would this be the reason?
              It most certainly would.
              #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
              ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Working...
              X