970 Ext4: Confused about boot order choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 970 Ext4: Confused about boot order choices

I have two HDD's one bootable, one SSD bootable and two optical drives. A total of four drives that can be bootable. These are all MBR (no GPT) and all running Win7.

Under the 'Boot" tab is:
    "Boot option priorities" in the main screen.

Below that there are two sub-categories;
    "CD/DVD drive BBS priorities"
    "Hard drive BBS priorities"

This makes no sense. Worse yet, it only allows a choice of whichever drive you pick in the associated sub-category. Why isn't there a choice of the other drive in the main menu?
    Why the duplicated entries and what is BBS? Somehow, I don't think it is Bulletin Board Service.

I did a search and came across this post elsewhere with no answer. He had the same question (among others);
    Asrock UEFI Boot order Problem

He then posted back stating "I got it", but never said what he got.

Last edited by videobruce; 12-26-2013, 07:08 PM.

Re: 970 Ext4: Confused about boot order choices

Originally posted by videobruce View Post
    Somehow, I don't think it is Bulletin Board Service.
    BBS

When it's booting, at the POST splash screen, don't you have the hotkey option there in the lower right to select which drive it boots from? That simplifies things compared to what it appears you're focusing upon instead.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

don't you have the hotkey option there in the lower right to select which drive it boots from?
      Unless you are talking about the F11 key that brings up a boot menu. If so, how can I get that to show each and every time without hitting a function key like my older MB had; a option to have a boot screen popup all the time which I highly miss with this 'new and improved, without needed functions thing they call UEFI.
      I also miss the ease when entering a conventional BIOS of the device list instead of just the processor & memory listing which is worthless.

I have never seen that term used in any BIOS in the 14 years I have been banging my head on a PC.

Last edited by videobruce; 12-26-2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

[Solved] ASRock 970 Extreme4 Can't boot to back up drive...HELP!!!

Did that help?
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by videobruce View Post
          Unless you are talking about the F11 key that brings up a boot menu. If so, how can I get that to show each and every time without hitting a function key like my older MB had; a option to have a boot screen popup all the time which I highly miss with this 'new and improved, without needed functions thing they call UEFI.
          I also miss the ease when entering a conventional BIOS of the device list instead of just the processor & memory listing which is worthless.

I have never seen that term used in any BIOS in the 14 years I have been banging my head on a PC.

None of the options or lack thereof in your board's UEFI firmware interface are intrinsic to UEFI firmware. Well, there is one that will only be found with UEFI firmware (CSM) but that is not related to the settings available.

The UEFI/BIOS options available are up to the mother board manufacture. They tend to evolve over time, and what once was important may no longer be considered so. Whether that is good or bad is up to you.

I doubt your board's UEFI has an option to automatically display the boot menu during POST, I haven't seen that option in a while.

What do you mean by displaying a device list? Just curious and not sure what you mean. All the drives and peripheral devices connected to the board?

Comment

Working...
          X