Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X79 Extreme 6 memory support list and frequency

Hello.

I never done OC to my pc and i don't want or have event the slightest knowledge to do so.

* After I bought all the computer parts i noticed that my memory isn't in the memory support list of my motherboard on the website.
    When i order the mother board i checked only if the motherboard support this memory frequency.
    I install the pc part and the Computer works fine.
    Questions: Whats its meens that the memory isn't on the motherboard support list?
    * I can't use it at all on the motherboard?
    * There will be future problems?
    * CAn damage somthing?
    * The motherboard memory support list isn't fully updated?

* Also noticed in the bios that the mempry run at 1333MHz insteed of 2133Mhz, After a little search on the web i realized that this is the defult frequency by the CPU.
    Questions: * How can i set the memory so it will work on 2133MHz/1866Mhz?
    * Change the memory frequency to 2133MHz/1866Mhz will cause more heat to the motherboard? Any other Side Effects that i should be aware of??
    * I especially bought the 1.5V memory and not the 1.65V, dose it help somehow?

Regards.
    Daniel Azoulay.

************************************************** ******************************
    My PC hardware:
    Case: NZXT Apollo(Modified)
    PSU: Thermaltake TR2 550W
    CPU: i7 3930k, 3.2Ghz, 6 cores
    CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB quad channel 2133 CL9 1.5V(CMD16GX3M4A2133C9)
    MotherBoard: AsRock X79 extreme 6, UEFI P2.40
    SSD: OCZ Vector 128GB
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 9600 GT 512(GV-NX96T512H-B)
    ************************************************** ******************************

Re: X79 Extreme 6 memory support list and frequency

Hi Daniel, welcome to TweakTown.

That it starts up at 1333 is by JEDEC design. That guarantees it will boot regardless of the system it is installed.

To get the memory to 2133 you'll need to enter the BIOS's Memory section and choose an XMP selection. This can also be accomplished manually by entering/changing the req'd fields.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Memory that is in the memory support list means it was tested by ASRock and will work with the board and the processors that can be used with the board.

Memory that is not in the memory support list has never been tested, or is not compatible with the memory controller specifications. It is impossible for a mother board manufacture to test all the different kinds of memory that is available. The list might be updated sometimes, or not at all.

You were lucky that your memory worked with your system, we hear from people sometimes that the memory they tried did not work, and was not in the support list.

Memory that is not in the list will not damage the board or processor, or cause problems in the future.

If you can use a lower voltage for your memory, it puts less stress on the memory controller, which is part of the processor.

Using the memory at a higher speed will cause it to be a little warmer, but if it is designed to operate at 2133, there should not be any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        Memory that is not in the memory support list has never been tested, or is not compatible with the memory controller specifications. It is impossible for a mother board manufacture to test all the different kinds of memory that is available.
        Ok. What happened to the old parsec? And is he alright where he is currently being held?
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

I load the XMP first option and its seems that the frequency has been changed, but i am not sure
          this is the CPU-Z screen shot of the memory/SPD tabs..
          Click image for larger version

Name:	CPU-Z.png
Views:	1
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	754055

Maybe its sound a little newbie but i never played with this stuff and have zero knowledge on OC.
          I think that it changed from 667MHz to 1066MHz but i am not sure, and even if it change, How can i tell that its 2133MHz on the bottom line?

Comment

1066.7(memory clock) x 2(DDR - Double Data Rate) = 2133.4

Congrats.

Comment

Oh OK

Thank you all for your help :)

Comment

Daniel, doesn't that 9600GT bottleneck your system? I'd imagine it does now when compared to your other system parts.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                  Daniel, doesn't that 9600GT bottleneck your system? I'd imagine it does now when compared to your other system parts.
                  Yea a little, But i am not a gamer, I am a programmer, And working with a 3D software so i dont need much more then this video card
                  I thought of maybe switching to the Gigabyte Geforce 660 GTX but no need for now..

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                    Ok. What happened to the old parsec? And is he alright where he is currently being held?
                    I'm here, just had my RX filled finally. Frankly I'm not getting the point... but that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                    X