• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87M Extreme4 and Win 8.1 - Video works but no audio on HDMI

I have just build a new system for HTPC
    Z87M Extreme4 with Intel 4770K (i7)
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    No video card, 8 GB ram

I am connecting HDMI to a Denon AVR and thats connected to a TV - this same port and cable was working with a little Atom pc. The video is working fine but no sound.
    Under Digital Audio (HDMI) is says not plugged in & its red
    All the options in BIOS are enabled, latest drivers installed

Last edited by - wardog -; 12-23-2013, 04:43 AM. Reason: Moved to ASRock Tech Support

Re: Z87M Extreme4 and Win 8.1 - Video works but no audio on HDMI

Have you selected as the default audio device, the correct entry in the Windows Sound option in Control Panel?

Comment

It cant be selected, its greyed out and nothing can be done with it

Comment

So you are sure that the "Onboard HDMI HD Audio" and the "Onboard HD Audio" options in Chipset Configuration are set to Enabled?

Just checking, you don't have a sound card installed in the PC, correct?

The only other thing is the HDMI cable, which you believe is working. Did you try unplugging it and connecting it again? The receiver must lock onto the digital audio signal, which might need to be done again. Can you check the TOSLINK output on the board, if it works?

The only other thing I can think of is to clear the CMOS/BIOS, reset all your setting in the BIOS, and try again. Or try the 1.80 BIOS update, if it happens to fix this issue.

Comment

This is very frustrating! I swapped the motherboard for a new one (same model #). Tried two different TV's with HDMI inputs, many different cables that I know are good. Uninstalled all the drivers and hardware from device manager and re-installed. Same result - I am thinking there is a in-compatibility between this MB, the 4770 i7 Haswell CPU and Windows 8.1. Guess the next thing to try is going to Windows 7 or a different model motherboard - either of those choices are going to cost me $100 or so.

Yes - everything is enabled in BIOS, no sound or video card installed - running off the ports in the back of the MB.

Comment

If all the entries for HDMI sources in Windows Sound say "Not plugged in", then they cannot be selected, configured, etc, is that what you have now? Have you right clicked on those entries to see what is available?

Either no digital signal is being sent over the HDMI cable (not saying a bad cable) or the AVR cannot lock onto the digital signal's frequency. Those can be adjusted in Windows if you had access, do you know the spec for your AVR's digital input capabilities?

Don't forget that the audio chip on your board is the Realtek 1150, although the Intel chipset has audio support too.

Comment

Update on this - thanks to another poster jkatter I installed a older Intel graphics driver - HD Graphics 4600 driver -- 15.31.17.64.3257 -- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...?DwnldID=23106
              and that fixed the sound problem. Doesn't make much sense to me why that worked but I now have the PC connected to the Denon AVR with HDMI and it sounds and looks great!

Comment

That is weird but important information, thanks for posting and verifying the driver change works!

Comment

Working...
                X