Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E3C226D2I smartfan problem

Hi,

I'm using this motherboard E3C226D2I with a Xeon 1230V3 and bios 1.70.

I'm using for CPU fan: NH-C12P SE14 + NF-A15 PWM NF-A15 PWM

and as case fans: NF-S12A PWM NF-S12A PWM

Both of them are PWM (4 pins)

But when I use smartfan -- none of the fans works (all are off)

The only solution is using manual and FULL ON.

How can the fans be used with PWM?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Chomes; 12-18-2013, 11:02 AM.

Re: E3C226D2I smartfan problem

Not sure what you are referring to by "Smartfan", do you mean Speed Fan?

What OS are you using?

Are you sure there are no BIOS settings for configuring automatic PWM fan speed control? I can't download your board's manual due to an error, so can't check.

The board's specs say that board has automatic fan speed control based on CPU temperature.

Both of your Noctua fans are standard PWM controlled fans, so they should work.

Comment

No, I mean smartfan. That's the option that appears on bios, in theory fans should be controlled by PWM, and not going a fixed speed.

There are 2 options available: smartfan (no sub-option available) and manual. ( sub-option:s level 1 to 9, and full on)

You can view the manual on:
      ftp://asrock.cn/manual/E3C226D2I.pdf
      ftp://66.226.78.21/manual/E3C226D2I.pdf
      Then information about fans is on page 51, doesn't say much anyway.

I've tried windows 7, windows 8 R2, and freebsd(Freenas).

Fans work fine on PWM mode, I've tried them on my other system Asus P9X79 DELUXE + Intel 3930K and they run great.

Any clue what it might be?

Comment

I tried the two links in your post, and the links on your board's download page, all still fail. The links are not bad, they just time out, so it looks like the ASRock site is down or having problems.

Is the fan on your CPU cooler connected to the CPU_FAN1 header on your board?

There are no other fan controlling option in the BIOS?

Your Noctua fans need very little power to run, so it is very strange that they do not run when using Smartfan mode. I can't tell you anything else until I see the manual.

Comment

OK, I have uploaded the manual to dropbox, now you can take a look :) https://www.dropbox.com/s/ot4y4duwwy31fbw/E3C226D2I.pdf

Yes, my cpu fan is connected to CPU_FAN1.

All available options for fans are in H/W Monitor..

Comment

Thanks, not much in the manual about settings, as you said.

Very strange the fans do not run using the Smartfan setting. Your board does not seem to have any OS program to adjust fan speeds.

All I can suggest is, use Manual mode and select a Target Temperature setting somewhere in the middle, and see what speed you get, and adjust up or down from there.

Or download and try SpeedFan: SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

It can be a bit complex, but it might allow you to control the fan's speeds much better.

I guess this board being a "server" type, cooling is usually done with special fans built into special server cases, so ASRock does not supply much fan speed control.

Comment

Well I think the only option will be using manual full auto 100% RPM , because having a fixed cooling lvl 1-9 may be insuficient during load times.

I will give a try to speedfan.

Thanks for all your help parsec.

Comment

Working...
              X