970 extreme/AMD FX 6300/XFX Radeon 7870 Gzh Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 970 extreme/AMD FX 6300/XFX Radeon 7870 Gzh Black

970 extreme/AMD FX 6300/XFX Radeon 7870 Gzh Black...just purchased for first build. Fearful of incompatibility issues as Graphics is not listed as supported on 970 specs/yet AMD listed 6300 as compatible with 970. I would like to assume problems I have read others have had are due to misplacement in installation, as I know the card should be installed in the PCIe x 16 slot. I have read that installation of the Asrock software causes a problem. Is this a matter of updating bios for 6300 and Asrock driver for proper installation?? I'm learning...and have not yet received all the parts for build, but at this point I would love to hear from anyone who can enlighten me!

Re: 970 extreme/AMD FX 6300/XFX Radeon 7870 Gzh Black

Any modern PCIe 2.0/2.1/3.0 video card will work in an AMD 970-based motherboard, no matter the make/model of the motherboard or video card. AFAIK, there is no "GPU Compatibility List" for any motherboard. (If we go back a few years, PCIe 1.x slot compatibility was a completely different story, and a nightmare. But that's of no concern for you.)

As for CPU compatibility, that can be an issue. Compatibility will depend on the exact motherboard model, its BIOS/UEFI version, and the specific CPU. You haven't specified which 970 Extreme motherboard model you're getting, so I'll try to cover them all. ASRock shows five different models based on the AMD 970 Northbridge. Here are the CPU compatibility charts for each:

ASRock > 970 Extreme4
    ASRock > 970 Extreme3
    ASRock > 970 Extreme3 R2.0
    ASRock > 970 Pro3
    ASRock > 970 Pro3 R2.0

According to those charts, you'll only have to concern yourself with compatibility with the AMD FX-6300 on the 970 Extreme4, and the original, NON-R2.0 versions of the Extreme3 and Pro3. (The Rev.2.0 boards have supported the FX-6300 since their release.) Basically, if you're getting one of the NON-R2.0 motherboards, it may require a BIOS update in order to officially recognize and properly utilize every feature of that particular CPU.

Here's where you can find the BIOS downloads for the NON-R2.0, AMD 970-based boards:
    ASRock > 970 Extreme4
    ASRock > 970 Extreme3
    ASRock > 970 Pro3

I highly recommend using the Europe links on ASRock's site for any motherboard-related downloads. The US links are EXTREMELY slow. (Fix that, ASRock!!!)

Comment

Working...
    X