Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No sound from motherboard

Hello everybody.

I was hoping somebody could help me with the following problem.

A few weeks ago, I lost all sound from my computer. I can't hear anything.

However, windows shows that sound is playing when I test the speakers, or watch a video/listen to music or any process that plays sound.

I have tried reinstalling drivers, using the front panel hd audio (doesn't work), Installing a sound card which didn't work either, using headphones, speakers, making sure the sound hasn't been muted anywhere, reset bios, made sure audio was enabled in bios, and basically every step I could find on the internet.

Is my motherboard dead?

I don't understand. Windows says sound is coming out and detects no errors, but I still don't hear anything at all.

I would be grateful for any help, thanks!

EDIT: forgot to mention I have a p67 extreme4. I've had it for around 2 1/2 years with no problems. It works absolutely fine besides the audio problem.
    Last edited by lupus002; 12-14-2013, 12:42 PM.

Re: No sound from motherboard

Anybody?

Comment

Any chance your keyboard is a multimedia model with a mute button? If so, is it stuck?

Considering you've tried a sound card, and you tried both speakers and headphones, that's the only device that wasn't changed.

Comment

Originally posted by RazberyBandit View Post
        Any chance your keyboard is a multimedia model with a mute button? If so, is it stuck? Considering you've tried a sound card, and you tried both speakers and headphones, that's the only device that wasn't changed.
        Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I just tried that and I still can't hear anything. When I press the button windows shows that it has muted sound. Thanks though!

Comment

Good news! I tried using my old soundcard again, and it turned out I was downloading the wrong drivers! I just installed the correct ones and now everything works fine. Looks like I don't have to buy a new mobo. If anybody ever has this problem in the future, try a soundcard, and make sure to use the CORRECT drivers. Hope this helps somebody someday

Comment

I'm glad to hear you've at least got sound, now. Using the soundcard doesn't fix the problem with the on-board audio, though -- it just bypasses it entirely. :)

The only thing I can think of is right-clicking the volume icon in the systray and selecting Playback Devices, then making sure that the Realtek HD Audio "Speakers" option is checked. From there, highlight it and click the Properties button. After that, go to the Levels tab and make sure the little speaker button isn't muted. (Only the Microphone levels should actually be muted... That is, unless you want to hear what you say into your mic coming through your speakers.)

But, if you're satisfied with a functioning soundcard, then there's really no point troubleshooting the on-board. You may as well disable it in the BIOS, now.

P.S. There were some updates to that board about a year-and-a-half ago... BIOS, Intel Management Engine (INF), etc... Most seem to revolve around Ivy Bridge, but you may still want to look into them.
            Last edited by RazberyBandit; 12-16-2013, 07:14 PM. Reason: For the P.S.

Comment

Originally posted by RazberyBandit View Post
              I'm glad to hear you've at least got sound, now. Using the soundcard doesn't fix the problem with the on-board audio, though -- it just bypasses it entirely. :) The only thing I can think of is right-clicking the volume icon in the systray and selecting Playback Devices, then making sure that the Realtek HD Audio "Speakers" option is checked. From there, highlight it and click the Properties button. After that, go to the Levels tab and make sure the little speaker button isn't muted. (Only the Microphone levels should actually be muted... That is, unless you want to hear what you say into your mic coming through your speakers.) But, if you're satisfied with a functioning soundcard, then there's really no point troubleshooting the on-board. You may as well disable it in the BIOS, now. P.S. There were some updates to that board about a year-and-a-half ago... BIOS, Intel Management Engine (INF), etc... Most seem to revolve around Ivy Bridge, but you may still want to look into them.
              I'll look into it tomorrow and let you know. If it is something as simple as that, then I might as well try. And thanks for letting me know about the updates. I have a sandy bridge cpu, but i'll check it out anyways. Thanks!

Comment

Hey, unfortunately that didn't work as well. Thanks for everything though. I'll just stick with the soundcard for now.

Comment

Working...
                X