ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Adaptive Voltage issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Adaptive Voltage issues

Hi all, first poster here. I'm have a 4770k CPU and a Z87 Extreme4 mb and I'm experiencing some problems with OC voltages. I've found settings that I'm happy with - running at 1.22v and 4.5GHz (cache at multiplier 42 and 1.2v) overnight AIDA64 has an average of 72C with peaks around 84C.

Great, that's with Override and no Offset, now I want to move over to using the Adaptive settings so I can get the voltage down while the CPUs are less stressed. So my goal is to get the vcore peaking at 1.22v, but regardless of what I do with the adaptive voltage the CPU still seems to take charge and start drawing ~1.276v, which is way higher and gets really hot while running a stress test (hitting 100c throttling). Looking at other motherboards like this asus (Bild: 3wrkgx.jpg - abload.de) there is fine control of the adaptive voltage, the offset and the turbo which finally gives you a maximium vcore voltage, but I can't find any turbo settings in the ASRock UEFI.

Is there some other setting I don't know about that I should be using? Is there some magic combination of numbers between the adaptive voltage and the offset that will get me to 1.22 vcore peak? SNED HEPL!

**edit: It kind of feels like the turbo setting exists deep in the bowels of this MB/CPU and that's what it's using, but it's not exposed by the UEFI and can't be set?
    Last edited by Parnassus; 12-11-2013, 11:16 AM.

Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Adaptive Voltage issues

Welcome to the world of Adaptive Voltage! Your description of Adaptive is correct, and I'd comment you are only getting to ~1.276V when stress testing? Pretty lucky so far.

All mother boards worked like that initially, but other settings were added or refined along the way. ASRock Z87 boards seem to not have quite the settings others have to adjust Adaptive voltage, but that has changed recently on some ASRock Z87 boards.

My Z87 Extreme 6 board has a new BIOS/UEFI update, 2.20, that adds negative offsets to Adaptive voltage. I haven't tried it much yet, but it looks promising. I imagine your board will get that UEFI update soon, watch for it.

Otherwise, IMO there is nothing you can do to change your maximum Adaptive voltage with your current UEFI.

Comment

I'll check for UEFI updates when I get home and post my settings for clarity. Also, it sounds like what you're saying is a polite version of "go buy another brand motherboard like asus that can do what you need"?

Comment

I believe what you're observing, ie: adaptive rising above set point, is exactly what is described HERE, and why.

Scroll down the page and begin reading at "Adaptive Voltage" and then skip to the more pertinent to this threads section titled "Caveat – big, massive, honking, pay attention to this – caveat!" .

It explains what and why you see the voltages rise above set point ONLY while stress testing.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
          I believe what you're observing, ie: adaptive rising above set point, is exactly what is described HERE
          Hm, alright... So what is a reasonable way to test the CPU heat on adaptive settings for normal-but-heavy load then? I don't want to leave it encoding blu-rays overnight and have it run at 100C without me realizing it.

Hah. I think I just answered my own question.

Comment

If your concern is leaving it unattended encoding overnight, why not just create and save a Profile in the BIOS settings that allow encoding but at reduced speed, even Default. Then when you want/need to OC just enter the BIOS and select the corresponding Profile.
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

If your concern is leaving it unattended encoding overnight, why not just create and save a Profile in the BIOS settings that allow encoding but at reduced speed, even Default. Then when you want/need to OC just enter the BIOS and select the corresponding Profile.
              Well, that kind of defeats the purpose for why I wanted a fast OC'd CPU in the first place ;p But yeah, I could make a profile with fixed voltage through override and use that I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Parnassus View Post
                I'll check for UEFI updates when I get home and post my settings for clarity. Also, it sounds like what you're saying is a polite version of "go buy another brand motherboard like asus that can do what you need"?
                No not at all. IMO some of the BIOS settings seen in the other boards are unnecessarily complex appearing, and convoluted ways to accomplish in multiple settings what can be done with a single setting. ASRock may have been behind with some CPU settings, but frankly it seems all manufactures were taken aback by the differences with Haswell processors, and ASRock may have been playing it safe. There is also the factor of the way Intel wants things done, versus what the manufactures do. The non-Z OC feature is a perfect example of that.

I think it's safe to assume the Adaptive voltage changes will trickle down to your board. It took a while before my Extreme 6 got them, while higher priced boards had it first.

EDIT: Testing an OC without enabling AVX instruction testing, as can be done with AIDA 64, will make a big difference in ultimate temperatures. I'm not sure that any software with AVX instructions even exist at this time, besides benchmarks, which are artificial and do not reflect the real world usage of most if not all real software.

EDIT 2: Just tried Adaptive voltage negative offset, and not only am I seeing the lowest maximum core voltages (Ok, VID's, since that is the best we get) but also the lowest core voltages during CPU idle/SpeedStep/C-State activity.
                Last edited by parsec; 12-11-2013, 10:40 PM.

Comment

I know better than you put THESE parts together just for encoding BD's while you're away.

Comment

I know better than you put THESE parts together just for encoding BD's while you're away.
                    Fair enough. yoloswag.

Since I wrote down my UEFI settings before updating I figured I might as well post them here, maybe the next guy who tries to google "ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Overclocking" at least has an easier starting point than I did. If only someone could have told me that Cache=Ring ;p

This is running stable at 4.5GHz, at constant vcore of 1.22V. Nice and cool.

Advanced Turbo: Disabled
                    Load Optimized CPU OC Setting: Disabled
                    Load Optimized GPU OC Setting: Disabled

CPU Configuration
                    CPU Ratio ALL Core
                    All Core 45
                    CPU Cache Ratio 42
                    BCLK/PCIE Frequency 100.0
                    BCLK Ratio Auto
                    Spread Spectrum Disabled
                    CPU OC fixed mode Auto
                    Intel SpeedStep Technology Enabled
                    Intel Turbo Boost Technology Enabled
                    Filter PLL Frequency Auto
                    Internal PLL Overvoltage Disabled
                    PCIE PLL Selection Auto
                    Long Duration Power Limit 1000
                    Long Duration Maintained Auto
                    Short Duration Power Limit 1000
                    Primary Plane Current Limit 1000
                    GT Frequency Auto
                    GT Adaptive Voltage Auto
                    GT Voltage Offset Auto

DRAM
                    XMP 1.3 Profile 1: 1866 10-11-10-30 1.50V

FIVR Configuration
                    FIVR Switch Frequency Signature Auto
                    FIVR Switch Frequency Offset Auto
                    CPU Vcore voltage Mode Override Mode
                    Vcore Override Voltage 1.220
                    Vcore voltage additional offset Auto
                    CPU Cache Voltage Mode Override Mode
                    CPU Cache Override Voltage 1.200
                    CPU Cache Voltage Offset Auto
                    System Agent Voltage Offset Auto
                    CPU Analog IO Voltage Offset Auto
                    CPU Digital IO Voltage Offset Auto
                    CPU Integrated VR Faults Enabled
                    CPU Intergrated Efficiency Mode Auto

Voltage Configuration
                    CPU Input Voltage Fixed Mode
                    Fixed Mode 1.900V
                    CPU Load-Line Calibration Disabled
                    DRAM Voltage Auto
                    PCH 1.05V Voltage Auto
                    PCH 1.5V Voltage Auto

Comment

You'll want to keep an eye out for a new BIOS release. Read the below Topic for why, and hope ASRock gets around to releasing a new one for your board too that enables the same.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, will keep an eye out.

Comment

I would really be shocked if ASR did not provide this option on the Z87 Ex 4 board. It's one of their main selling boards, and to not provide it would be crazy.

The negative offsets for Adaptive voltage is working perfectly for me so far. What I've done is set the Adaptive Voltage to 1.20V, and then set a large negative offset. Like -0.100V, and it obeys that when running. Plus the negative offsets are for ALL the CPU voltage options, so try it on at least cache/ring too, and the iGPU if you use it.

Comment

Working...
                          X