Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z68 Extreme4 with 24Gb RAM possible?

Hi guys!

I have a Asrock Z68 Extreme4 which needs more RAM. Today I have 8Gb (2x4Gb) and now I want to get another 16Gb (2x8Gb) for a total of 24Gb. But reading the manual for the MB makes me unsure if this will work. On page 20 in the manual it says "This motherboard also allows you to install four DDR3 DIMMs for dual channel configuration, and please install identical DDR3 DIMMs in all four slots."

Well, 4Gb and 8Gb RAM modules are obviously not identical, and if you are to believe in the manual this should not work. However, I have seen people on the net that claim they run this combination on the Asrock Z68 Extreme4 without problems. So, what is more correct, the map or the reality? (If the manual is incorrect or unclear, I think it should be updated)

If I get the 2x8Gb modules, I would of course make sure they have the same timing specifications as the 2x4Gb modules I already have.

RAM I have today: 2 x 4Gb (Corsair VENGEANCE DDR3 1600 C9, CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)
    RAM I am planning on buying: 2 x 8Gb (Corsair VENGEANCE DDR3 1600 C9, CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9)

WILL IT WORK?
    Last edited by Michael_H; 12-06-2013, 05:03 AM.

Re: Z68 Extreme4 with 24Gb RAM possible?

First, your RAM is not in your board's Memory Support list, but if it works for you, great. Adding more of that memory will be a gamble, since more memory is more difficult for the memory controller to use. But it could work, you won't know until you try.

The identical RAM warning means the same model of RAM with the same timings, which you have. The capacity of the DIMMs is not as important as the same model of RAM, but if the higher capacity DIMMs use very different memory chips, that could cause them not to work.

Some pre-built PCs like Dell sell them with 12GB of memory in dual channel boards, which is a mix of 2GB and 4GB DIMMs, so that works. I would not be surprised if 24GB of RAM would work on your board, given that the memory is compatible.

Comment

Working...
    X