Z87 Extreme11/ac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87 Extreme11/ac

i just bought the Z87 Extreme11/ac and have the 4770k processor and an XFX R9 290, 32 gb G.Skill Trident X 2400, and a 256 gb ocz vertex 4 hd. i can install windows 8 pro, but as soon as i install drivers whether it be from the cd, downloaded, or using the BIOS Easy Driver installation method; it hangs after the restart. and the only way to get back into windows is to recover windows or reinstall the OS, "which i've done several times". Any help is greatly appreciated. Current BIOS ver 1.10a
    Last edited by BIG MICHO; 12-04-2013, 07:08 PM.

Re: Z87 Extreme11/ac

Update: asrock sent me an email saying that i should first try using the drivers from the cd or the downloaded drivers from the website. However to not use the Easy Driver Installer. If the drivers mentioned do not work to proceed to contact the vender to do an rma. not really sure what to think about this; so imo list both positive and negative things about this board.

+ Asrock tech support contacted me within the same day.

+ This board was awesome while it worked with the generic windows drivers. i look forward to getting my replacement board. the performance was there and it clocked my ram very easily to 2400 with there BIOS

- they contacted me by email instead of a call. so there was no real technical support. i looked for a number to call but could not find it so i emailed tech support.

- a board this expensive should not have these problems. the quality control for top end boards should be set to a higher standard. Now I have to pay to send it back to Newegg.

Comment

ASRock USA Contacts

Support Phone: 1-909-590-8308
      Support Email: [email protected]
      Support Website: ASRock > Support Request Form
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG MICHO View Post
        i just bought the Z87 Extreme11/ac and have the 4770k processor and an XFX R9 290, 32 gb G.Skill Trident X 2400, and a 256 gb ocz vertex 4 hd. i can install windows 8 pro, but as soon as i install drivers whether it be from the cd, downloaded, or using the BIOS Easy Driver installation method; it hangs after the restart. and the only way to get back into windows is to recover windows or reinstall the OS, "which i've done several times". Any help is greatly appreciated. Current BIOS ver 1.10a
        I don't understand how installing drivers (does that include utility programs?) from the CD (ALL of them at once?) or Easy Driver (again, everything?) can be the same as "downloaded", which is a pure manual installation, one at a time.

Downloaded manually, that is ~16 driver and software installation programs, not including utilities (A-Tuning, etc.) Did you not reboot when prompted to during that process? At what point during that process did Windows fail to boot?

Some installation files (chipset/INF) should be done before all others, and most main drivers (Intel IRST, LSI SAS, Integrated Graphics) require a restart after each one.

Were you using onboard graphics, or a video card?

A board of this sophistication is not a "close your eyes and press a button" driver and software installation product. What about BIOS configuration settings? Did you configure anything at all? On what interface was your SSD connected?

I must agree that an automatic driver installation program is not optimal for a board like this, or must be customized for the unique features of this board. I would never use such a program, and don't, part of building a PC is installing the appropriate software step by step, to insure it works and is at least basically configured. That includes a clean boot of the OS after installing one piece of software.

Since the board worked fine with the standard Windows 8 drivers (although I doubt all features were working at that point) does indicate the board basically functioned correctly. It seems a software and/or configuration issue caused your Windows problems. Windows 8 drivers have still not been all sorted out, some simply do not work or cause other problems, like boot issues.

This is a just released product, with one BIOS version. Given that, are some issues to be expected? Quite likely. The LSI SAS chip has never been used before on an ASRock PC board, or any other AFAIK.

I don't see how an RMA of this board, and then repeating the same driver installation process, will produce a different result.

Comment

Firstly I've tried using just the on board graphics with no success. Furthermore I've also tried installing the drivers one by one. The first driver is the lan driver that works just fine. After that I install the inf driver which works OK. But it isn't until I use the realtek HD audio drivers that I get the hang up. And trust me I understand this is a very complicated board. I'm just doing what Asrock instructed me to do. That is also why I came to this forum to get some advise. Thanks for responding.

Comment

Realtek has a newer version of their HD audio sw available HERE

Maybe parsec will be kind enough to jump in here and correct me but I believe you want to install the inf "drivers' first. Before any other drivers, directly after the OS Installation is finished. That it works with Windows default set of drivers IMO doesn't point to a defective MB. I've been known to be wrong before

Also, prior to your installing the audio drivers, is the LAN driver install(s?) picking up and configuring BOTH Intel onboard NICs, the I211 and I217 ? If not you might correct for that before proceeding with the audio drivers installation.

My suggestion is to not use the Easy Install but instead just download all the req'd drivers from the MB's pages online for the proper OS and unpack them to either a temp dir on the HDD, or on a usb stick.
            #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
            ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

IMO, INF files must be installed first, and then the Intel IME software. After that, no particular order.

Strange about the Realtek audio driver, my ASR board uses the same driver and audio chip, and I use Win 8 Pro, and I don't have your problem. I usually do that driver last. Hmm, what is causing that... clashing with the LSI SAS somehow? Or was your video card's audio set as the default audio device, which should be Ok, is that the problem? I set the audio settings to Enabled rather than Auto in the BIOS, worth a try.

So pass on the Realtek driver for a while at least, or try wardog's version. But seems like a costly experiment if it fails, right?

Windows 8 has a new reset/refresh option, that removes all drivers and software and puts the installation in a new state, but can be hard to find. It's in Settings, Change PC settings. Could save you some work, but if you can't boot, how do you use it? The Window installation media should let you use that option, ever try booting from that when you have your troubles? This feature is worth trying if necessary.

Onboard video not working is also strange, my Z87 board PC is only using onboard and works fine. BIOS may default to PCI-E instead of onboard for graphics.

I get it about following directions. But if I did, I'd have Smart Connect and other nonsense installed, no thank you!

IMO, you must walk through all the BIOS settings, and disable things you don't want. Such as, Smart Connect being enabled by default.

Comment

Working...
              X