Asrock z87e itx with Broadcom wlan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock z87e itx with Broadcom wlan

In Windows 8.1 the version of the Broadcom 802.11 ac is 6.30.95.29 and on the Asrock website the driver version is 6.30.223.170.

The motherboard is stated to search and install all the latest drivers. Does not seem to be happening.

How do one install a new driver?

Also under the network page in Windows 8.1 the Broadcom Protocol is 802.11n but the adapter is 802.11ac and my router is 802.11ac. How can I change the protocol to 802.11ac?

Tom F
    Last edited by thomas f; 12-04-2013, 03:21 PM. Reason: One added thought

Re: Asrock z87e itx with Broadcom wlan

Originally posted by thomas f View Post
    In Windows 8.1 the version of the Broadcom 802.11 ac is 6.30.95.29 and on the Asrock website the driver version is 6.30.223.170.

The motherboard is stated to search and install all the latest drivers. Does not seem to be happening.

How do one install a new driver?

Also under the network page in Windows 8.1 the Broadcom Protocol is 802.11n but the adapter is 802.11ac and my router is 802.11ac. How can I change the protocol to 802.11ac?

Tom F
    Not sure what you mean by the "motherboard is stated to search and install all the latest drivers", is that a Windows option you have set? Or an automatic driver installation setting in the BIOS? Windows will only search the device's manufacture for downloads, which is Broadcom.

To install the ASRock driver for Win 8.1, you download the 6.30.223.170 driver file from your board's download page at the ASRock website.

ASRock > H87E-ITX/ac

You then unzip the file by right clicking on it and choosing extract. You then go into the folder that is created, and find the setup application, and run it.

Once installed, you might need to configure the protocol being used with the Device Manager entry for the Broadcom wireless LAN device. Your board's manual should have a description of any configuration too.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Not sure what you mean by the "motherboard is stated to search and install all the latest drivers", is that a Windows option you have set? Or an automatic driver installation setting in the BIOS?
      It's a BIOS "option' called "Easy Driver Installer", and on my FM2A88X Extreme6+ I could never make it work either. Not like I wanted it to mind you, but I did attempt to make it work as advertised. Nada, zilch, zippo. I much prefer not to rely on an app, or Windows even, to choose and install drivers for me. So no great loss here that it was a failure. I only wanted to see it function, and there it was a disappointment.
      Code:
      ASRock Easy Driver Installer
      For users that don’t have an optical disk drive to install the drivers from our support
      CD, Easy Driver Installer is a handy tool in the UEFI that installs the LAN driver
      to your system via an USB storage device, then downloads and installs the other
      required drivers automatically.
      As I said, not something I particularly want happening automagically behind my back.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
        It's a BIOS "option' called "Easy Driver Installer", and on my FM2A88X Extreme6+ I could never make it work either. Not like I wanted it to mind you, but I did attempt to make it work as advertised. Nada, zilch, zippo. I much prefer not to rely on an app, or Windows even, to choose and install drivers for me. So no great loss here that it was a failure. I only wanted to see it function, and there it was a disappointment.
        Code:
        ASRock Easy Driver Installer
        For users that don�t have an optical disk drive to install the drivers from our support
        CD, Easy Driver Installer is a handy tool in the UEFI that installs the LAN driver
        to your system via an USB storage device, then downloads and installs the other
        required drivers automatically.
        As I said, not something I particularly want happening automagically behind my back.
        Yes, my Z87 board has that feature, I'm just trying to understand if that is what the OP used (likely), or Windows automatic updates.

I would never use an automatic driver installer, whether from a mother board manufacture, or Microsoft.

If the OP is using a wireless Internet connection, and not using the standard wired connection at all (we don't know), then the automatic driver installation via the Internet obviously will not work. Plus the ASRock automatic installer only downloads from ASRock, not anyone else.

Comment

Thank you all for the speedy response, what a great forum.

My system is:
          Fractal Design Node 304
          CPU i3-4340
          Fan Cooler Master Seidon 102 Liquid
          HDD 128 Gb Adata SP900 SSD
          Memory 8Gb DDR3/1600
          M/B Asrock Z87E-ITX
          No overclocking
          PSU Corsair RM750 Plus 80 Gold
          OS Windows 8.1 Pro

I have updated the Broadcom drivers but still have no located where to set the protocol.

My objective was quiet first and that has happened, almost no noise except the water pump on the Cooler Master but it is not much.

Tom

Comment

I highly doubt you need to set any protocol for that wireless LAN card.

It isn't a wireless router, but purely a receiver. It scans for wireless signals/connections for each of the protocols (a, b, g, n, ac), and Windows should display the wireless networks that it finds. But you need to set up the wireless network connection in Windows Network and Sharing Center.

If you go to Device Manager in Windows, and look in Network adapters, there should be an entry for the Broadcom wireless device. If you double click on that entry, the Properties box will open, and will have any configurations options there.

Comment

Working...
            X