Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xeon 1230v2 on a ASrock H61M U3/S3

Hi there

on the cpu support list it says that my mobo supports this cpu with stepping E0.
    But everywhere where i can buy this Xeon is version E1, and i cant find any information on this subject here or in google.

So the question is:

Does Asrock H61M U3/S3 supports Xeon 1230V2(E1) ?

Thanks in advance

Re: xeon 1230v2 on a ASrock H61M U3/S3

I can't locate the differences between E0 and E1. Not that I would expect placing an E1 on that board with the latest BIOS to be problem.

That said, I still think it'd be best if you contacted ASRock Tech Support HERE to confirm it beforehand.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

ok, thanks for the link
      i'll do it

Comment

I doubt the difference between an E0 and E1 stepping will make a difference with compatibility. ASRock simply has not tested that version of the processor, not that it is really a different version. In Intel's own information about this processor, they do not have separate listings for different steppings, or even list the stepping:

This is a short explanation about CPU stepping that I found:

Over course of its life, each microprocessor core could be refined or tweaked multiple times without changing or adding any major processor features. The purpose of the tweaks is to eliminate existing errata (errors in microprocessor logic), improve processor's stability or reliability, and/or enhance some electrical, thermal or other processor characteristics. Each new core revision with these changes are referred to as a core stepping, and the changes never affect CPU performance. In this aspect the core steppings are different from new core generations, which always affect CPU performance. In modern x86 microprocessors core steppings are represented as one or more letters followed by a digit, for example B0, D1, etc. Core steppings are usually reset when a new core or new micro-architecture is introduced. Depending on the manufacturer, a processor with specific part number may be produced with one stepping (AMD K8 and K10-based CPUs), or multiple core steppings (AMD K7 and older, and Intel CPUs).

You must of course have the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS version (1.70) in your board to use this CPU. Any idea what version your board has now?

Comment

My BIOS is 2.20
          I also doubt that there is some difference big enough to be incompatible, but have to be sure, because can't return it after buying.
          Thanks for the info

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          I doubt the difference between an E0 and E1 stepping will make a difference with compatibility. ASRock simply has not tested that version of the processor, not that it is really a different version. In Intel's own information about this processor, they do not have separate listings for different steppings, or even list the stepping:

This is a short explanation about CPU stepping that I found:

Over course of its life, each microprocessor core could be refined or tweaked multiple times without changing or adding any major processor features. The purpose of the tweaks is to eliminate existing errata (errors in microprocessor logic), improve processor's stability or reliability, and/or enhance some electrical, thermal or other processor characteristics. Each new core revision with these changes are referred to as a core stepping, and the changes never affect CPU performance. In this aspect the core steppings are different from new core generations, which always affect CPU performance. In modern x86 microprocessors core steppings are represented as one or more letters followed by a digit, for example B0, D1, etc. Core steppings are usually reset when a new core or new micro-architecture is introduced. Depending on the manufacturer, a processor with specific part number may be produced with one stepping (AMD K8 and K10-based CPUs), or multiple core steppings (AMD K7 and older, and Intel CPUs).

You must of course have the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS version (1.70) in your board to use this CPU. Any idea what version your board has now?

Comment

Working...
          X