No announcement yet.

Asrock Extreme3 870 giving "d0" error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asrock Extreme3 870 giving "d0" error?

Originally posted by parsec View Post
    I hope wardog comments on the PSU requirements.
    Back on Post # 2 I asked:
    Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
    Please read #1 in my Sig and follow with listing out all parts please. This gives us an understanding of what it is you're working with there.
    Hard to recommend w/o knowing what all he's building with.

Regarding the memory, if you're within the window to return it I probably would. Maybe look at a 2x4GB kit.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by JCPuf View Post
      OAnd where did you look up those values?
      Missed this one.

Got those #'s from HERE.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Wardog, I apologize. I had filled in those system requirements when I registered, but I must have made an error in saving them. In any case, they're up now for your persual, though I'm afraid you won't learn anything you didn't already find out. I'm ordering the replacement 2x4GB kit from the list of supported RAM now: knowing that my friend had been running the 1866 speed RAM, I chose this one which was only $2 more expensive than the 1600: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820403006

Parsec, I hear you loud and clear on the SLI mode. I'm sure just one of these things will be more than enough for my current needs in any case. It's pretty surprising that my friends were discarding stuff this nice! I'm hoping to start doing some fun orbital simulations, data analysis and Fourier transforms once it's up. I'm not really into gaming. Lord knows I can't do that with my current machine, yeoman though it is.

Believe it or not, I actually had figured out the auxiliary 75W power supply to the GPU problem. I got one card out of a Power Mac which had failed, apparently, when its cooling apparatus leaked onto its CPU. This was apparently a common design flaw of the Power Macs. It came with a 6-pin-to-4-pin adapter which I was using.

I still have that giant aluminum Power Mac case, and I could use it if you think 1) It's possible for me to use and 2) is superior to what I've got. What I've got is this square black thing with no identification on it. It has a transparent window on one side, and a Vantec Stealth fan on the front, and two USB drives and a Firewire drive. It has a removable motherboard carriage which comes smoothly out the back. The Power Mac clearly has way more heat-dissipating abilities, but I'm concerned with the knowledge that the big cooling apparatus killed the motherboard in the first place. I don't feel confident using it unless the fixing of the Power Mac's early air-conditioner cooling device is something that's been well solved and documented (and if it has I totally want to use it because that would be awesome).
        Last edited by JCPuf; 12-01-2013, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Wardog, I apologize. I had filled in those system requirements when I registered, but I must have made an error in saving them. In any case, they're up now for your persual, though I'm afraid you won't learn anything you didn't already find out. I'm ordering the replacement 2x4GB kit from the list of supported RAM now: knowing that my friend had been running the 1866 speed RAM, I chose this one which was only $2 more expensive than the 1600: Newegg.com - AMD Radeon Performance Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model AP38G1869U1K
          Um, what list are you looking at, and where? I can't find that set on any list.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
            Um, what list are you looking at, and where? I can't find that set on any list.
            Crap. I was looking at this list:http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory.asp?...xtreme3%20R2.0 and went and found the AMD 1600 that's explicitly supported there, then upgraded to the 1866 based on the idea that 1) the AMD 1600 is supported and 2) my friend was running 1866.

This one is the AMD 4GB 1600 mentioned in the above list, I believe:
            Newegg.com - AMD Radeon Entertainment Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AE38G1609U1K
            Is it safe to assume that if the AMD 4GB 1600 is right then if my friend was using the 1866 RAM previously that I can as well?
            Last edited by JCPuf; 12-01-2013, 09:38 PM.

Comment

The list for this MB is older and contains some now hard to locate kits.

The X4 cpu you have supports up to 1333 natively.

Here, for you to get 1866 that worked the FIRST time I think it best for you to ask your friend what make and model of 1866 he was using. You can maybe, assuming your X4 plays nice with them, lower the timing on whatever you get 1866 wise and end with some fast 1600. But going from 1333 stock that your X4 is to 1866 most likely req'd some higher voltages and some timing tweaks as well. Settings that he, over time with knowledge/experience, found to have worked well for that particular board/cpu combo.

You here want, and I assume need, a system that fires up 1st time don't have the luxury of trial and error to glean what works and what doesn't. Parsec and myself, well myself anyways, might seem hesitant recommending choices and here fall back to the MB's memory list to "guarantee' that what you get will work out of the gate. It appears your money is tight, so to go throwing it at unproven memory is not a productive option.

Comment

Your PSU is an older design, with more power on the 3.3V and 5V rails than is needed by current systems, and low on 12V power, which is used much more now.
                That's 18A total for the apparently two 12V rails.
                Parsec, check this out: Apevia model ATX-AS600W 12V

+3.3V 34A, +5V 36A, +12V1 18A, +12V2 20A, -5V 0.3A, -12V 0.8A, +5VSB 2.0A

With the 8-pin CPU plug and the 6-pin GPU plug. Found it in the pile. Thought you'd like it.

Can you advise re: the PowerMac case? Any reason I shouldn't use it?

Comment

Parsec, check this out: Apevia model ATX-AS600W 12V

+3.3V 34A, +5V 36A, +12V1 18A, +12V2 20A, -5V 0.3A, -12V 0.8A, +5VSB 2.0A

With the 8-pin CPU plug and the 6-pin GPU plug. Found it in the pile. Thought you'd like it.

Can you advise re: the PowerMac case? Any reason I shouldn't use it?
                  Where in the world is this magical "pile" you keep finding off the wall stuff in?

Well, that PSU is better than the first one, and seems like it could be useable and have a chance of working. A bit of a relic, from 2006. You would need adapter cables if the video cards have eight pin power connections.

OMG that Mac case... who the heck knows if it would work for you?! Just what you need, more non-standard, not made for DIY use parts. Yeah, it looks cool, with upside down mother board tray mounting and who knows what else.

Actually, a fine addition to your Mutt-puter.

Comment

Where in the world is this magical "pile" you keep finding off the wall stuff in?
                    I host a hackspace, teaching high school students robotics. People are occasionally like, "Here is a bunch of crap I don't need, can you use it?"

Which is how I got the idea, noticing that what was piling up was looking an awful lot like five or six computers.

It's up and passing POST, outputting to monitor. Now I just have to use Acronis Backup to move my existing system over to it. Thanks for all your help :)

Comment

Great, glad it's working for you. Seems to be the system is your Specs? Using that Norwood micro PS again? I kinda doubt it.

Depending upon your "existing system", a backup moved to that hermaphroditic melange of parts ranging from the wretched to the sublime, may be your next headache (hey, at least I didn't call it crap.)

Seriously, the difference in drivers and hardware (like from an Intel system to AMD) will cause all kinds of issues. What is your existing system?

You need to take a course in PC building... if one existed of course. That is a need waiting to be filled, you could start that at your school. I'd enjoy doing that.

I would love to pick my way through your collection of... stuff, who knows what else lurks within, such as $2000 workstation graphics cards (that is no joke, that is what you are apparently using right now.)

Comment

Great, glad it's working for you. Seems to be the system is your Specs? Using that Norwood micro PS again? I kinda doubt it.

Depending upon your "existing system", a backup moved to that hermaphroditic melange of parts ranging from the wretched to the sublime, may be your next headache (hey, at least I didn't call it crap.)

Seriously, the difference in drivers and hardware (like from an Intel system to AMD) will cause all kinds of issues. What is your existing system?

You need to take a course in PC building... if one existed of course. That is a need waiting to be filled, you could start that at your school. I'd enjoy doing that.

I would love to pick my way through your collection of... stuff, who knows what else lurks within, such as $2000 workstation graphics cards (that is no joke, that is what you are apparently using right now.)
                        Okay Parsec, over the winter break I'm gonna take pictures of everything up there and we can identify every piece. I suspect I've got all the best goodies taken out in this cluster**** screening process of "make a working machine," but let's see. You got notes and curriculum for a PC building course? I get to teach a tech elective every Spring.

I'm planning on running Ubuntu on it, I suppose. The OEM windows license on my laptop won't transfer without a level of hacking I'm not really prepared to go into (yet). If you got a recommendation on how to get the best performance out of that I'd appreciate it.

Since you said the two GPUs were probably incompatible via SLI, I was thinking of installing them both and dedicating one to bitcoin mining, but I'm worried about the heat produced by such a thing and frankly have no idea how to optimize heat distribution here. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                        X