A6 error on Set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A6 error on Set up

Hi, Just setting up a brand new install. Upon boot don't get a bios setup window just a blue screen. Board is showing A6 error code. It actually goes from A2 to A6 upon hitting the F2 or delete key when blue screen appears. I've removed all cables and have tried resetting memory. Currently, no drives hooked to board only power, CPU, Heat Sink and memory, keyboard and mouse still get error. Board arrived today any suggestions?

I'm seeing a lot of discussions around A2 and A6 codes but nothing that really helps my situation. I'm thinking it might be better to do an RMA on the board at this stage. Wondering if trying to update the BIOS on USB might help but i'm having a hard time even telling what is the updated BIOS for this board might be.

FYI - Board is a ASROCK Z77 Extreme 4, Bios on board shows P2.90-15A. This is my son's Xmas gaming system so any help would be appreciated.

ASROCK Z77 Extreme 4, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyper X Black, Seagate SV35 Series ST2000VX000 2 TB, Antec Earthwatts Platinum Series EA-650 Watt Power Supply, MSI N660 TF2GD5/OC GEForce GTX 660 2GB 192-Bit Video Card, Cooler Master HAF 912 High Air Flow Mid-Tower Computer Case.

Thanks

Tim
    Last edited by tkerriga; 11-28-2013, 10:08 PM.

Re: A6 error on Set up

Hello and Welcome to TweakTown Tim.

Please read and follow #1 in my sig so that we can have a better idea what parts it is you're working with there.

Hook a HDD up and retry. From past experiences here I believe your A6 code will disappear. Connect it to the BLACK SATA ports and if it's a single HDD set the BIOS to AHCI before proceeding with an OS install.

But please follow #1 and list out ALL the parts please. It's possible that may not necessarily be only what you're facing there.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

And FYI, I just looked and 2.90 is the latest BIOS for this MB.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Wardog, modified post to include the specs. Sorry i was thinking the info collected during profile setup would show. Tried multiple different SATA cables and ports including black ones and still same issue. Upon power up get A2 error on board, screen is blue with no Bios setup options, when hitting F2 or Deleted it changes the code to A6.

Here are specs again so you don't have to look up at original post. - thx

ASROCK Z77 Extreme 4, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyper X Black, Seagate SV35 Series ST2000VX000 2 TB, Antec Earthwatts Platinum Series EA-650 Watt Power Supply, MSI N660 TF2GD5/OC GEForce GTX 660 2GB 192-Bit Video Card, Cooler Master HAF 912 High Air Flow Mid-Tower Computer Case.

Comment

Connecting this to a computer monitor, or television? Preferably a computer monitor.

Also, I've seen it here before. If you're using HDMI for your initial setup, don't. Try VGA or DVI.

Try this. VGA or DVI, connect a HDD, and with a ODD with the OS DVD in, hit F11(?)(Boot from device x) and choose the ODD drive and see if it enters the OS installation stage w/o the A2 or A6 rearing its ugly head.

Keep us posted please.

Comment

VGA connected to computer monitor, no change when trying to boot to CD.

MSI video card is not currently in unit as i'm just trying to get it to boot from installed VGA port first.

A bit of information that may or may not make any difference. When i unplug one side of the 8 pin (4 pins) power to board i get same behavior if both are in A2 then A6 after pressing F2. I tried switching the 4 pins to each side individually and i got power to both individually but same behavior if 1 was plugged in or both.

Comment

Working...
            X