Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to enable AMD cool and quite in Asrock 960 GC-GS FX motherrboard

Hello
    I just recently bought the motherboard in name and after successfully installing it (along with my new GPU and CPU)I noticed that the AMD 's cool and quiet is not working(fan is constantly running at it's highest speed and my CPU's Vcore is not fluctuating at all).First thing I did was enabling Balanced power plan in the power options and then went to motherboards BIOS but just couldn't find the cool n' quiet option.So,what I want to know is the location of cool and quite option in motherboard's BIOS, and how to actually enable it if possible?
    Thanks in advance
    Motherboard:ASRock 960GC- GS FX
    CPU:AMD FX 6300 3,5 GHz
    RAM:Transcend 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
    GPU:MSI Radeon 7850 OC 1 GB DDR5
    PSU:Seasonic S12 II 80 + Bronze 520 W

Re: How to enable AMD cool and quite in Asrock 960 GC-GS FX motherrboard

Grab the online User Manual from the website for your MB, do a search for the word "cool" , and it will become obvious on the 4th pressing of "Find' in Adobe Acrobat.

That's exactly what I just did. It wasn't hard.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      Grab the online User Manual from the website for your MB, do a search for the word "cool" , and it will become obvious on the 4th pressing of "Find' in Adobe Acrobat.

That's exactly what I just did. It wasn't hard.
      Found it in BIOS and it says it 's ENABLED but I can clearly see it's not.Do I need to maybe update my BIOS or find some specific software to make it work cause Balanced power plan+ enabling it in BIOS usually did the trick on my old Gygabyte motherboard?

Comment

Please read and follow up with # 1 in my sig so that we here might also have knowledge of what your system consists of.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Sorry for double post but my sig wasn't showing up.
          Last edited by Ednan; 11-27-2013, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Have you changed anything in the BIOS as far as OC'ing goes? If you are or have the BIOS may have automatically disabled CnQ even though it shows enabled.

And maybe related in the long or short run, you're most likely taxing your 520w PSU. What model PSU is that and how old is it?

Comment

It's Seasonic S12 II 80 + Bronze,I bought it 2 yeas ago.Could it be that the stock cooler it's simply not up to the task,it's constantly at 3000 RPM...sorry ,no I haven't changed anything in the BIOS.Also I am sorry because it may seem that I'm too lazy took look for things on my own but that's simply not the case,I am just too tired and that CPU fan is just(pardon my English)annoying as ****.
              Last edited by Ednan; 11-27-2013, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Fan is running max. Ok
                vCore is steady. Steady at what?
                Idle mHZ? What's it idling speed wise at?
                CPU temp. What?
                Overclocking?
                Case air flow? Good or needs work?

The stock FX-6300 HS/F(finned aluminum, NO copper) should be OK, just, for stock settings and a case with good air flow. Any overclocking and you'd best look for another HS/F or water cooling solution

Comment

Vcore is between 1.31 and 1.35
                  CPU temperature between 15 and 30 degrees.
                  I wont be doing any overclocking that's for sure.
                  Case flow is solid.It seems that it is only CPU fan that is causing problem(cool and quite doesn't affect it)but I can control it's speed through BIOS(total of 9 levels,currently at level 6 2400 RPM it's something I can deal with).Will monitor CPU temperatures and adjust it's fan's speed accordingly.Tomorrow will try to find a program that controls fan's speed (similar to cool and quite,probably will go with speedfan).Off to sleep now.
                  THANKS for your help.
                  Last edited by Ednan; 11-27-2013, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Case flow is solid.It seems that it is only CPU fan that is causing problem(cool and quite doesn't affect it)but I can control it's speed through BIOS(total of 9 levels,currently at level 6 2400 RPM it's something I can deal with).Will monitor CPU temperatures and adjust it's fan's speed accordingly.Tomorrow will try to find a program that controls fan's speed (similar to cool and quite,probably will go with speedfan).Off to sleep now.
                    THANKS for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Ednan View Post
                      Whoa! It's not idling down then, is it? Those/that voltage should be way lower at idle.

Are you running at least BIOS 1.30 ? That file says "1. Improve CPU compatibility. 2. Update CPU code.".

And yes, I do see that the FX-6300 is supposed to be supported by ALL BIOS revisions. It's the statement alongside with 1.30 that reads "1. Improve CPU compatibility" that leaves me wondering.

Comment

THANKS for your help.
                        If I am reading this right, you think Cool n' Quiet is used to control the CPU fan's speed? Sorry but that is wrong, Cool n' Quiet is an AMD processor power saving feature that reduces the processor clock and voltage.

If the CPU cooler is using a fan whose speed can be automatically controlled by software, that reacts to CPU temperature, then a side effect of Cool n' Quiet will be a lower CPU fan speed. But that is simply caused by a reduced CPU temperature, not any connection between Cool n' Quiet and the CPU cooler fan.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                          Whoa! It's not idling down then, is it? Those/that voltage should be way lower at idle.

Are you running at least BIOS 1.30 ? That file says "1. Improve CPU compatibility. 2. Update CPU code.".

And yes, I do see that the FX-6300 is supposed to be supported by ALL BIOS revisions. It's the statement alongside with 1.30 that reads "1. Improve CPU compatibility" that leaves me wondering.
                          Bios version says:American Megatrends Inc. P1.10,12.7.2013(if that means anything to you)

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                          If I am reading this right, you think Cool n' Quiet is used to control the CPU fan's speed? Sorry but that is wrong, Cool n' Quiet is an AMD processor power saving feature that reduces the processor clock and voltage.

If the CPU cooler is using a fan whose speed can be automatically controlled by software, that reacts to CPU temperature, then a side effect of Cool n' Quiet will be a lower CPU fan speed. But that is simply caused by a reduced CPU temperature, not any connection between Cool n' Quiet and the CPU cooler fan.
                          All I know is that when I used it on my old Gigabyte motherboard when cool n' quite was enabled CPU fan(which was also a stock cooler)adjusted itself to how much CPU was used,so what you are saying is basically true(it adjusts itself to the CPU temperature).
                          Last edited by Ednan; 11-28-2013, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Bios version says:American Megatrends Inc. P1.10,12.7.2013(if that means anything to you
                            Yeppers, it does. You're running the initially released BIOS, rev1.10 Dated 7/12/2013.

You might, if you're comfortable with or experienced at, flash using the Instant Flash method to the latest BIOS revision. That being BIOS 1.40 Dated 10/11/2012. Found on THIS page. There's a red + in the sixth column of the Instant Flash file line, click on it and it explains how to use Instant Flash.

I'll add. FAT32 formatted USB stick, bare with only the extracted BIOS file residing on/in the root of it, and plugged into one of the native USB2.0 ports at the rear I/O panel of the MB.
                            Last edited by - wardog -; 11-28-2013, 02:30 AM. Reason: correct and format

Comment

Ok...i have some experience with flashing BIOS(did it once 2 years ago with the same method you are describing)also you mean 11.10 2013?So basically
                              1) Download version 11.10.2013(improves memory capability)
                              2) Put in the root of USB that is FAT32 formatted
                              3) Plugg in the USB into one of the native USB2.0 ports at the rear I/O panel of the MB.
                              4) Boot and go into BIOS(del or F2)>Smart>AsRock Instant flash>Exectute instant Flash Utility>It will detect file from USB device>Select file and flash
                              Correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X