Various Debug codes, won't boot now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various Debug codes, won't boot now

Ok, I have an ASRock Z68 extreme gen 3 board and its been working fine for a long time. Recently I noticed my CPU temps were running too hot when playing games(into the 90s) but have never had any issues regarding shut down, reboots or anything like that. Still I wanted to reapply some thermal paste to the CPU to get the temps down and blow it out with some compressed air. Simple enough right, no big deal right? Wrong.

Removed heat sink, wiped both heat sink and CPU clean with rag containing 91% isopropyl alcohol, reapplied thermal paste, fixed heat sink clips and made sure it is seated tightly again and properly and have not successfully completed a boot since.

Keep getting a continual reboot loop of various debug codes, the latest being 5(CPU microcode not found)...previously was getting 59, 65, 0E, etc.. although with the 0E it would stay running but monitor wouldn't come on.

The monitor briefly goes green on reboot, then turns back off. I have reseated the memory, cleared the CMOS both via the button on the back of the board and via jumper, changed the battery, etc but am not getting anywhere. Reseated the video card multiple times, removed video card and tried to load just with integrated graphics, changed power supplies, took motherboard completely out of the case with only the power supply connected, etc...just reseated CPU, no change...

Unsure of what else I can do or what the issue might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have built many systems and figured things out myself but this is mystifying me...

Any help would be appreciated, never thought reapplying thermal paste and cleaning out the case would cause this many problems...
    Last edited by matter2003; 11-24-2013, 08:54 PM.
    MB: ASRock Z75 Pro 3
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k @3.8Ghz
    Mem: 16GB(4GBx4) GSkill Ripjawz DDR3 1600
    Video: Sapphire Radeon 6850HD
    PSU: OCZ Mod X Stream-Pro 700W
    Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    DVD: ASUS 16x DVD-R/RW
    Audio: M-Audiophile 2496
    HDD: Samsung model HD103SJ
    Seagate 1TB SATA drive(can't see model #)

Re: Various Debug codes, won't boot now

You won't like this, but if you haven't already, pull the CPU and look closely with a magnifying glass if necessary for bent pins.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
      You won't like this, but if you haven't already, pull the CPU and look closely with a magnifying glass if necessary for bent pins.
      Thanks, I did this and didn't see any, I don't see how it would have happened as I never removed it from the socket and was very gentle while cleaning it...

From what I am reading it seems like a BIOS issue?

Comment

I don't think it's related, possible though.

Any chance in cleaning/jostling the cpu fan that it's now spinning below a "safe' rpm? ie: long in the tooth and what was done made it worse

Please, complete # 1 in my sig so that myself and anyone else has an idea what you have there for a system. Stock cpu cooler?
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
          I don't think it's related, possible though.

Any chance in cleaning/jostling the cpu fan that it's now spinning below a "safe' rpm? ie: long in the tooth and what was done made it worse

Please, complete # 1 in my sig so that myself and anyone else has an idea what you have there for a system. Stock cpu cooler?
          Ok here are the specs all retail boxed parts bought in October 2011 so all are under warranty(3 years):

ASRock Z68 Extreme Gen 3 MB
          Intel I7 2600 CPU
          Ripjawz DDR3-1600(2x8GB, 2x4GB) total 12GB
          OCZ ModX 700W PSU(just unboxed yesterday, had since 2011 but never switched PSU)
          Asus 24x DVD-RW
          Sapphire Radeon 6850 1GB DDR5 Video Card
          Stock Intel Cooler(have Tuniq Tower also but not installed)

Cooler is working fine, no issues with fan at all, blowing strong

Comment

Hmm, according to ASRock site codes 5A-60 are memory related:

"5A- 60 Problem related to memory. Please re-install the CPU and memory then clear CMOS. If the problem still exists, please install only one memory module or try using other memory modules."

Any other ideas? Would like to have something to try when I get home from work tonight...
            Last edited by matter2003; 11-25-2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by matter2003 View Post
              Ripjawz DDR3-1600(2x8GB, 2x4GB) total 12GB
              Are you OC'ing with those two different pair? Or maybe overvolting one pair due to the other pair requiring more voltage?

You might also try only using one set and see if it boots. Then swap in the other and see. You might also run MemTest86+ on each set individually, assuming it boots on one set. Or if it takes one stick to boot.

Comment

Running Command Rate of 1 or 2 with those 4 sticks? If 1 you might try 2.

Are Primary and Secondary timings the same with the two sets? Care to share the two kit P/N's of both sets?

Comment

It was slightly overclocked, didn't change anything with the memory settings at all...

They have same specs, one is just 2 4GB pairs and the other 2 2GB pairs...timings are the same

I can give the P/N once I get home later tonight

Comment

Think I may have figured it out...need to install same modules in 1 and 3 and 2 and 4, not 1 and 2 and 3 and 4...will try this when I get home...

Comment

Originally posted by matter2003 View Post
                      Think I may have figured it out...need to install same modules in 1 and 3 and 2 and 4, not 1 and 2 and 3 and 4...will try this when I get home...
                      Ha! I just covered this same thing.

See my post 7 and 8 HERE from a day ago.

Comment

If you have reset cmos then there is no custom settings left!? i think your cpu has and gone to heaven..
                        Try take a fan and cool the whole thing down and then boot up...

Comment

No its not the CPU, something funky is going on with the memory.

I tried putting all 4 sticks in the right slots, same issue. I then started putting one stick at a time in slot A1 and the first 2GB stick I put in it booted up fine. Tried to put the other 2GB stick in to go dual channel and got the 59 debug boot loop.

Tried putting the other 2GB stick in A1, monitor came on and stayed on but no picture.

Tried both 4GB sticks in A1 and nothing, no monitor came on but didn't turn off.

Went back and put the first 2GB stick in A1 that worked initially, now it stays on but nothing comes on the screen...

Seems like a memory issue, likely on the MB as I have no reason to believe the memory went bad when it had just been fine yesterday...

Comment

Intel and both of my ASRock board manual's state that the A2 and B2 memory slots should be used first, and are best for use if you OC your memory. Not sure which Z68 Extreme ? Gen 3 board you have, there are three models.

Try using just the 4GB DIMMs, one in A2 and B2.

If it was the CPU, you would not get past POST code 00. The microcode loading error could indicate a corrupted BIOS. You've had two separate microcode POST errors according to your previous posts.

I must admit that some of the symptoms do sound like either problems with the socket pins, or the CPU itself. Then again, other symptoms don't.

Regarding the memory just abruptly failing, that is how most electronic components (transistors, ICs, capacitors, etc) fail, just all at once. They either work or they don't. Yes memory can work and have errors running tests, but generally electronic components just die with no fanfare or warning.

Comment

I don't think its the CPU because it wouldn't have came on and worked fine the one time...

It seems like something is not working properly where the memory is being read by the MB as I find it strange that the 4GB modules cause the endless boot loops but the 2GB modules do not restart the computer, and stays running without turning off although it throws the same error code(59).

I've read other forums where they had the same issue with the same 59 code, and it was caused by a bad battery, a bad BIOS chip, or a misseated video card. I don't have my video card in so that can't be it, and I changed the battery so I don't think that's the problem. I suppose it might be the BIOS chip, but I would have to pay $15 for a new one and I have no idea if that's the actual problem or not...I suppose its a lot cheaper than buying a new board tho...
                              Last edited by matter2003; 11-25-2013, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X