• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock X79 Extreme4 does not boot

Here are the components I have just bought:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4820K
    Cooler: INTEL BXRTS2011AC
    Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme4
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (4GBx2)
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
    Graphics card: Asus R9280X-DC2-3GD5
    PSU: Aerocool Strike-X 600W
    I assembled the components as follows:

1 - Put the processor on LGA2011 socket on MOBO and cooler on top of it (CPU fan connected to MOBO).
    2 - Put the memories on DDR3 sockets on MOBO (I've also tried switching the sockets and using only 1 memory).
    3 - Put graphics card on PCI-E 3 on MOBO.
    4 - Put the HDMI cable connecting the Graphics card to the monitor.
    5 - Put the power cables (20+4 and 8 ATX) on the MOBO.
    6 - Turn the PC on.

The Dr. Debug shows the code 00 (CPU Error). The fan on top of the south bridge doesn't work (is it normal?).
    The CPU and Graphics card Fans work.

I tried reseting the CMOS and nothing changed.

I stringly think it's the MOBO, but I don't have another one to test and be sure. Should I ask for replacement?

Thank you.

Problem solution:

I called the ASRock sales in Netherlands, which I got from http://www.asrock.com/general/about.asp?cat=Contact . I told about the outdated BIOS version and they sent me the latest version (free of charges).
    It arrived today and the problem was solved.

Thank you, ASRock.
    Last edited by th3b0y; 11-28-2013, 11:56 AM. Reason: Problem solved

Re: ASRock X79 Extreme4 does not boot

The problem probably is the BIOS version your board has does not work with your Ivy Bridge-E 4820K processor.

BIOS version 3.20 is needed to support Ivy Bridge-E processors.

The BIOS version that is on your board is printed on a sticker on the BIOS chip, which I think is in the area around the SATA ports, and the heatsink/fan on the X79 chipset.

The bad news is, as I have seen before in this forum, that you will need a Sandy Bridge-E processor to put in the board, so you can update the BIOS to the Ivy Bridge-E compatible BIOS version.

I would not bother trying other things to fix your problem, until we know what BIOS version is now on your board.

Also, do you know the complete model number of your Corsair memory?

When you update the BIOS to version 3.20, please read the instructions in this thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...er-boards.html

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      The problem probably is the BIOS version your board has does not work with your Ivy Bridge-E 4820K processor.

BIOS version 3.20 is needed to support Ivy Bridge-E processors.

The BIOS version that is on your board is printed on a sticker on the BIOS chip, which I think is in the area around the SATA ports, and the heatsink/fan on the X79 chipset.

The bad news is, as I have seen before in this forum, that you will need a Sandy Bridge-E processor to put in the board, so you can update the BIOS to the Ivy Bridge-E compatible BIOS version.

I would not bother trying other things to fix your problem, until we know what BIOS version is now on your board.

Also, do you know the complete model number of your Corsair memory?

When you update the BIOS to version 3.20, please read the instructions in this thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...er-boards.html

I found out that the BIOS version is 3.0 . I don't have another processor to be able to update it =ssss The corsair memory is not in the compatible list (ASRock > X79 Extreme4) because it's a newer model, but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. Actually I think tha won't be a problem if I succeed upgrading the BIOS version.

My problem atm is that I don't have another processor =( Any idea?

Comment

Contact ASRock Tech Support HERE and explain your situation in a polite manner. They might offer to send you a new BIOS chip that is flashed to one that supports your processor. Otherwise last I knew they were charging $15USD + Shipping.

Or you can call them and inquire of a BIOS chip, Netherlands is the closest, using the phone number on THIS page. That # will most likely get you into their Sales Dept..

There is a Tech Support person here you can PM. Use THIS link to PM her.

Yea, you're at the moment stuck between a rock and a hard place as there are no inexpensive IB-E processors. I've found myself and read here and elsewhere that ASRock tech support is good towards it's customers.
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
          Contact ASRock Tech Support HERE and explain your situation in a polite manner. They might offer to send you a new BIOS chip that is flashed to one that supports your processor. Otherwise last I knew they were charging $15USD + Shipping.

Or you can call them and inquire of a BIOS chip, Netherlands is the closest, using the phone number on THIS page. That # will most likely get you into their Sales Dept..

There is a Tech Support person here you can PM. Use THIS link to PM her.

Yea, you're at the moment stuck between a rock and a hard place as there are no inexpensive IB-E processors. I've found myself and read here and elsewhere that ASRock tech support is good towards it's customers.

Thank you for your answer. I've just sent them a message, I hope I get a positive answer. I'll keep you informed about the process.

Thank you again,
          Bruno.

Comment

Originally posted by th3b0y View Post
            I found out that the BIOS version is 3.0 . I don't have another processor to be able to update it =ssss The corsair memory is not in the compatible list (ASRock > X79 Extreme4) because it's a newer model, but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. Actually I think tha won't be a problem if I succeed upgrading the BIOS version.

My problem atm is that I don't have another processor =( Any idea?
            You have BIOS 3.00... Oh so close... the last version before 3.20!

I doubt ASR is putting the IVB-E BIOS on these boards from the factory, since SB-E processors are more common.

Have you tried clearing the BIOS/CMOS since you installed the CPU? This may not work but you can at least try.

Any chance the place you bought the board or CPU from will let you borrow a SB-E processor? Otherwise, getting a new BIOS chip with 3.20 on it is the best fix.

Comment

You have BIOS 3.00... Oh so close... the last version before 3.20!

I doubt ASR is putting the IVB-E BIOS on these boards from the factory, since SB-E processors are more common.

Have you tried clearing the BIOS/CMOS since you installed the CPU? This may not work but you can at least try.

Any chance the place you bought the board or CPU from will let you borrow a SB-E processor? Otherwise, getting a new BIOS chip with 3.20 on it is the best fix.

I've tried clearing the CMOS, but nothing changes.

I bought it on amazon =(

Comment

Any chance the place you bought the board or CPU from will let you borrow a SB-E processor?
                In reading that I now realize, obviously, I got single minded when I mentioned "as there are no inexpensive IB-E processors" in that post. Promise. I'll try and do better next time :)
                #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
                ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

The problem was solved. Topic header updated.

Thank you all for the answers.

Comment

Good. That wasn't so hard after all.

Five days wait, I know... waiting, and you're running.

Thanks for coming back and notifying us of your progress.

Comment

Working...
                    X