ASRock 960GM/U3S3 Update BIOS problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock 960GM/U3S3 Update BIOS problem

Just installed in HTPC update, nice little low cost MB; one of few Micro ATX to accept AMD and provide SATA III + USB3.

Its all working nicely except call me strange, I want to install the latest 1.40 BIOS (it came with 1.30) that's where my problem starts.

When I boot to update BIOS screen it reports no updated bios found. Its meant to be able to scan and find the new BIOS from HD, CD or USB memory stick. Not in my case. F3 rescan results in jumping back to the "not found" screen, there is no option to tell it where to look.

Having some previous experience, I figured anything connected to my front USB 3.0 connector will not have loaded drivers at this point, so I tried the USB stick (FAT32) and both a USB DVD reader & floppy disk in the USB 2.0 rear panel connector - again nothing.

I tried placing the file (960USFX1.40) in the root of the HD, on a CD (SATA), etc, but still no luck

Any ideas how to dictate where the BIOS updater has to look for the new version?
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 11-22-2013, 03:32 PM.

Re: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 Update BIOS problem

How big of USB stick are you using? I've never had a problem with a trusty 4GB stick.

FAT32 and rear USB 2.0 port is correct.

Oh! Check that the USB stick doesn't have something like Sandisks SecureAccess, U3, or something similar on it. It should be a bare, no dir's hanging from the root, USB flash drive.

Might try reformatting it again and retry.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Its 16GB wipe clean / format FAT 32, but its worth a try with my trusty 256MB.....

Comment

I tried to reply several times (missed the math test)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion but no, it didn't have any effect. My trusty 256MB stick confirmed that the USB 3.0 ports didn't work at this stage of the boot, but using the USB 2.0 ports or any other device was no improvement.

Am I missing the point F3 should look a all available devices?

Maybe if I put the driver in the root of the SSD (no HD) and connect to a SATA II port?

Comment

Although I much prefer for safety reasons to use Instant Flash, have you tried the DOS version?

Really, sorry, but I'm running out of ideas here.
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
            Although I much prefer for safety reasons to use Instant Flash, have you tried the DOS version?

Really, sorry, but I'm running out of ideas here.
            Its my first ASRock if there was any documentation on DOS boot and BIOS I would be happy to try that. Any links?

PS I'm running out of ideas as well....

Comment

Go to the BIOS Download page, sixth column titled "How to Update". Click on the red plus in the DOS line and a window will pop over explaining the procedure.

Comment

Have u tried reseting cmos?

Comment

Originally posted by Danni Capion Rasmussen View Post
                  Have u tried reseting cmos?
                  No I haven't, but since I have saved many changes why should this help? Apart from making me enter my changes again, have you specific experience related to this issue? I'm aware is generally an OK thing to do.
                  Last edited by Britgeezer; 11-25-2013, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Go to the BIOS Download page, sixth column titled "How to Update". Click on the red plus in the DOS line and a window will pop over explaining the procedure.
                    Thanks, I'll try that.

Comment

Originally posted by Britgeezer View Post
                      Thanks, I'll try that.
                      DOS was a problem, but WIN worked. Sorry I didn't see the obvious.

PS. A large number of driver adjustments after the BIOS update.

Thank you all.

Comment

Originally posted by Britgeezer View Post
                        PS. A large number of driver adjustments after the BIOS update.
                        Yea, that happens sometimes.

Well? Worth the trouble?

Comment

Yea, that happens sometimes.

Well? Worth the trouble?
                          Not that I've noticed yet - its only a HTPC

Comment

Working...
                          X