Corsair CX600M Power Supply
    Z87M Extreme4 MB, says stepping C2 on box
    Intel i7-4770K
    8 GB RAM - 2 4 GB 1333 sticks I brought over from Del XPS Studio 8100
    In correct positions for dual channel
    Brought over ATI Radeon 5770
    Brought over Optical drive
    Brought over hard drive

BIOS seems very happy UEFI all working System seems to be happy hardware wise

But, when it tries to boot from hard drive, it says its starting windows, but it barely paints some graphic and gets blue screen.

I managed to install drivers from recovery DOS prompt command.

After next boot attempt, blue screen, different messages, but goes by too fast to read.

What next?

It now gets 7E stop. complaining I think about lsi_sasB.sys
    Last edited by charliestrause; 11-22-2013, 10:05 AM. Reason: Add more info

Re: New system won't boot Windows 7

So you connected your HDD with a Windows installation from your Dell XPS Studio 8100, correct? Very limited information otherwise.

Short answer, the next step is a fresh installation of Windows.

The best I can find just using "Dell XPS Studio 8100", since they could be configured in multiple ways, is it is a core i system, with an Intel 5 series chipset board. Your new board is an Intel eight series chipset board, so three CPU/chipset generations later. The differences in drivers, etc, is huge, installing drivers as you did is a fingers crossed method at best. It is also a miracle that your memory from the Dell PC worked in your new board, or at least seems to work.

The BIOS running fine is all pre-Windows, so your build is seemingly all good. But you really need to install Windows again and start from scratch, moving an OS installation from different hardware will never be 100%, regardless of how much work you put into it.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      Short answer, the next step is a fresh installation of Windows.
      I'll agree if the HDD+OS was previously installed in the 8100. Oh if it were only that easy.

The below tends to support my belief that you're trying to get away with moving the HDD+OS from the 8100 into your new computer as I can't find where the Z87M Extreme4 has an LSI controller..

Originally posted by charliestrause View Post
      I built a new system:

But, when it tries to boot from hard drive, it says its starting windows, but it barely paints some graphic and gets blue screen.

I managed to install drivers from recovery DOS prompt command.

It now gets 7E stop. complaining I think about lsi_sasB.sys
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
        I'll agree if the HDD+OS was previously installed in the 8100. Oh if it were only that easy.

The below tends to support my belief that you're trying to get away with moving the HDD+OS from the 8100 into your new computer as I can't find where the Z87M Extreme4 has an LSI controller..
        Bingo!

The only clue beyond the "brought over..." statement. No chance for that controller to be on anything but the most pricey (and non-M) ASR boards.

Do you think the Dell PC had an on-board LSI SAS controller? Kinda doubt it, could have been an add on card. I wonder if the Dell PC had a LSI OROM in its BIOS... that LSI driver has got to go, the OP has to get past that one (safe mode) for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          Bingo!
          OP, you'd be doing yourself a great time saving AND getting the absolute performance from your new CPU and MB were you to simply do a fresh install
          #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
          ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

First I agree with parsec and wardog about the fresh install.

However, when faced with friends who could not / would do it, I have found that deleting as many drivers as is possible (be strict) on the HD can trick the OS into installing the correct drivers without so many potential issues.

Comment

Britgeezer (Ha! nice name), what you mentioned can work more or less, but that assumes you know what must be done. You also need to do this before you try to boot the PC the first time with the old OS installation. Then there is the Windows registry, that can control driver loading, which cannot be overlooked.

What makes the OP's situation worse IMO, is his old PC is a pre-built model, that the manufacture adds things to that a complete DIY PC will not have. The former makes it harder to use the old OS installation.

Our main point is, by the time one fools around trying to fix the old installation, you could have done a clean install and have no problems. Another reality is, the newer the system/platform is (particularly Intel), the more different some of the basic software is.

I just can't recommend that anyone fights with an old OS installation, since the results are far from guaranteed.

Comment

If it's the same Britgeezer I remember, they've been around forums for quite a long time. Like dfi-street, long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
                  If it's the same Britgeezer I remember, they've been around forums for quite a long time. Like dfi-street, long time ago.
                  Yep the same BG, just a tad older...

Comment

Working...
                  X