Z87E-ITX HDMI Audio woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87E-ITX HDMI Audio woes

I have recently upgraded my HTPC components from a Sandy-bridge based setup (Asus P8H67H-EVO + i3-2100t) to a Haswell system (Asrock Z87E-ITX + i5-4570T) and I have gotten this HDMI issue that is starting to annoy me greatly. Basically every time I turn off the upstream receiver (Onkyo NR-905) the HDMI audio is disabled by Win 8.1 x64. The Intel Display Audio device will disappear from the "Sound, video and game controllers" section, and I will get an exclamation mark on the "High Definition Audio Controller" under "System devices". The only way to re-enable the audio device I have found so far is rebooting the system. This worked perfectly in my previous setup, so something is not working correctly in the drivers or bios (or a combination of the two). The Realtek audio controller is disabled in bios as i don't have a use for it.

I have tried multiple driver (both asrock and directly from intel) + bios combinations so far, but every single one has resulted in exactly the same problem. The current software stack is bios 2.10 and intel driver 10.18.10.3316 (latest available)

Re: Z87E-ITX HDMI Audio woes

What is the receiver's HDMI-CEC set for/as? CEC has caused many a problem

BTW, NR-905 .... nice. Unfortunately it can double as a weenie roaster / room heater. Maybe even a panini press.
    Last edited by - wardog -; 11-20-2013, 12:36 PM.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

And to note, I have seen HDMI issues posted concerning Win8.1
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
        What is the receiver's HDMI-CEC set for/as? CEC has caused many a problem

BTW, NR-905 .... nice. Unfortunately it can double as a weenie roaster / room heater. Maybe even a panini press.
        No such thing as a HDMI-CEC on the Receiver :p TV (Samsung F96) has it, but that's turned off.
        And yes. It is a nice room heater. Good thing I live in a place where that's useful most of the year!

Comment

p: See pg

Comment

p: See pg 109 of the TX-NR905 Online Manual. It in fact does have CEC, which is what I remembered while looking at one when they first came on the market

Code:
            ■ [B]Control[/B]
            This function allows CEC-compatible components or
            RIHD-compatible components connected via HDMI to
            be controlled with the AV receiver.
            Disable: HDMI Control disabled.
            Enable: HDMI Control enabled.

[B]Notes[/B]:
            � HDMI control works only with the HDMI OUT
            MAIN jack, not the HDMI OUT SUB jack.
            � Select Disable if a connected component is incompatible
            or you�re not sure about its compatibility.
            � If operation is unreliable when set to Enable, select
            Disable instead.
            � When the HDMI Audio setting is set to On, or TV
            Control is set to Enable and you�re listening through
            your TV�s speakers (see page 43), if you turn up the
            AV receiver�s volume control, the sound will be output
            by the AV receiver�s speakers. To stop the AV
            receiver�s speakers producing sound, change the settings,
            change your TV�s settings, or turn down the AV
            receiver�s volume.

[B]Power Control[/B]
            To link the power functions of CEC-compatible components
            or RIHD-compatible components connected via
            HDMI, select Enable.
            Disable: Power Control disabled.
            Enable: Power Control enabled.

[B]Notes:[/B]
            � The Power Control setting can be set only when the
            above Control setting is set to Enable.

Comment

Originally posted by - wardog - View Post
              p: See pg 109 of the TX-NR905 Online Manual. It in fact does have CEC, which is what I remembered while looking at one when they first came on the market

www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/tx-nr905_manual_e.pdf
              Wow. Excellent find. Talk about hiding stuff in plain sight in an already terrible GUI. I was through the entire setup twice looking for it before you posted this. Option is off though.

Comment

My own curiosity is getting the better of me. So, if you wouldn't mind .........

When done using the receiver, instead of completely shutting it Off, place the receiver in Standby mode and see if you can replicate this. Not sure if in Standby it keeps the ports "hot' or not, but it might be a temp fix for you should it work

Other:
                Just today Intel released a new 4600 driver: Version: 15.33.8.64.3345 - Date: 11/20/2013

The Graphics forum over at Intel is rather busy discussing this issue you're having. Not that I want or am trying to dissuade you from remaining here mind you. But you might also keep an eye out there too.

Comment

Unfortunately standby did not help. Neither did the new drivers.

But there are a number of threads on the Intel forums about the exact problem i have, which might seem to be win 8.1 specific. There are people reporting that win8.0 works fine, but win 8.1 bombs out. I'm gonna follow up on them too to see if a solution surfaces (none of the suggested "solutions" have worked so far).

Comment

alot of information at one place.. thank you so much, can i get to know about sandwich making gadgets
                    Last edited by jamesluke; 05-03-2018, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X