B85M Pro4 - strange POST messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B85M Pro4 - strange POST messages

I have B85M Pro4 BIOS v1.60 I disabled Full Screen Logo and under normal POST messages on the bottom of the screen I get some strange letters - most time A2 and sometimes B4. What are they mean? Are they error messages? Are they Dr. Debug messages? I can not find any mention of Dr. Debug support in the manual.

Re: B85M Pro4 - strange POST messages

A0 - A7 Problem related to IDE or SATA devices. Please re-install IDE and SATA devices. If the problem still exists, please clear CMOS and try removing all SATA devices.
    b4 Problem related to USB devices. Please try removing all USB devices.
    HTML Code:
    http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334
    Hope it helps ;)

Comment

Yes I know what Dr. Debug codes mean, I just don't know if this POST messages are Dr. Debug codes. Manual for B85M Pro4 says nothing about Dr. Debug, I don't know if this mobo supports Dr. Debug and if so how to display codes. Besides I get "B4" not "b4" message - capital letter. And the A2 message is always in the bottom right corner of the screen, and B4 in bottom left.

Comment

POST codes and "Dr Debug" codes are the same thing, all Dr Debug does is display the POST codes on a small LED display on the mother board, if your board has that feature. POST codes are also sent to the monitor, but most of them are not normally seen.

All POST codes like B4 or A2 are not error codes or messages, but can be used to diagnose problems.

For example, A2 is the POST code for "IDE detect", which is part of the POST sequence of finding and connecting to HDDs/SSDs. If POST stops during the A2 process, that means there is a problem related to finding any drives in the PC, or there may be no drives connected to the mother board. Then the POST code A2 will stay displayed on the monitor and Dr Debug display, since the POST process does not continue when no drives can be detected.

Instead of the full screen logo, which you have disabled, you can see a couple of the many POST codes, for POST processes that take a little longer than others. Their location on the screen means nothing.

Comment

Working...
        X