FM2A75 Pro4 halts at 4F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM2A75 Pro4 halts at 4F

My FM2A75 Pro4 mobo halts at debug code 4F. It's fitted with an AMD A10 5800K and its boxed Heatsink, together with two 4GB 1600 Mhz Corsair Vengeance sticks. Manual tells me that code 4F is the 'DXE loading' phase.
    BIOS is P1.90-15A
    All power cables are fully inserted ;ie, the 24 pin and 2x4pin connectors.
    PSU is a "G7 Power Extreme", rated at 0.8A on the -12V rail and 3.0A on +5Vsb; 18A on the +12V outputs and 26A and 28A respectively on the +3.3V and +5V ones.

Many forum responses, here and elsewhere, talk about the seating of the power connectors, the Bios version, memory sensitivity, blah, blah. However all these things check out with my kit UNLESS I've got a naff BIOS, but it seems that can't be the reason, because the board AND the CPU been RMA'd, yet I still get the same (halting at 4F) outcome. Any sensible suggestions anyone? Please!

Re: FM2A75 Pro4 halts at 4F

Is it doing this with a minimum build, or doing it with other HW or cables connected? ie: CD/DVD drive(s), pci/pci-e cards, any cables to case(MB has pwr and rst switches on board)

Me, I'd remove ALL but the necessary to boot.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

The 4F DXE error is related to memory. Your memory may not be compatible with the board, the only way to check is to find the full model number of your memory and compare that to your board's memory compatibility list.

Your power supply is rather weak, at 18A on the 12V outputs, that's 216W max on that rail. Modern CPUs and boards like yours don't use the 3.3V and 5V rails much anymore. Using a video card with that PSU will be very challenging, anything that needs more power than what's provided by the PCI-E slot will just not work.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
        Your power supply is rather weak, at 18A on the 12V outputs, that's 216W max on that rail. Modern CPUs and boards like yours don't use the 3.3V and 5V rails much anymore. Using a video card with that PSU will be very challenging, anything that needs more power than what's provided by the PCI-E slot will just not work.
        By the specs the OP gave I deduce he has the G7 Power Extreme 780w PSU, with four 12v rails. That said parsec, I believe you and I are on the same track concerning the PSU. That being one of not having much faith in the specs given to be accurate.

Many of the reviews I've read are, well, shall we say, less than glowing. And IMHO it's rather low price would be an indicator that it's proclaimed rated output should be seriously doubted. That's why asked that you perform a bare system boot, as I don't have any clues what else it is you're working with there parts wise.

dompaulh, please go HERE, scroll down, and enter your "System Specs" so that we have in front of us what it is your system consists.
        Last edited by - wardog -; 11-18-2013, 07:34 AM. Reason: 780w, not 760w
        #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
        ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

A good , if not brief, description of what DXE means and does.

Hardware-dependent Software: Principles and Practice - Google Books

Google Books _is_ awesome.

Comment

Thanks to parsec and wardog for your interest and replies.
            The PSU is a 'standby' bit of kit that won't go into full service when (if?) the board/CPU build proves successful; at the moment its a basic rig -just memory, monitor, kb and HD attached. So it seems to me that its inadequacies are of no issue at this stage (but if you reckon that's wrong, pl say so!).

I wondered about memory, since the ASRock approved list for the board does not include the sticks I purchased, albeit the Corsair site does claim that my modules are compatible with the board. However I ran a raw test without the memory and it failed at the appropriate point in the POST, so I presumed that the fact that the board sailed thru' that failure point with the modules subsequently installed was enough to confirm that these modules were OK for use on the board.

The extract from the Google-exposed book says enough about the content of DXE to make me think that my BIOS chip "isn't all there" (assuming you can disregard my point A, below):

A. Board/memory coupling has to be very tight or not so (ie, either acceptance of the board/memory relationship thru' Debug codes 2B-4E is not the whole story as far as "memory acceptance" goes, or it is and once passed, then other system elements are the cause of halting.)

If other elements of 'DXE loading' are failing, what are they? The googled book indicates that they are a set of Resources or Devices or code created structures that are all identified within the board's firmware and BIOS. It seems to me that if these are not recognised thru' POST, then the Board or its BIOS is at fault.

But I RMA'd the board and had a new one returned to me on the last days of my supplier's contractual return period; however I received no commentary as to whether my original board was faulty, just a straightforward replacement; so I'm not going to waste my time repeating that process.

So unless anyone else has had experience of the board or any of you guys have any other bright ideas, I reckon I'm between a Rock and a Hard Place!!
            But with a warning:- Don't Buy an ASRock FM2A75Pro.

Comment

The PSU is a 'standby' bit of kit that won't go into full service when (if?) the board/CPU build proves successful; at the moment its a basic rig -just memory, monitor, kb and HD attached. So it seems to me that its inadequacies are of no issue at this stage (but if you reckon that's wrong, pl say so!).
              parsec and wardog are right and you are wrong.
              I've seen many cases where a faulty or failing, good quality psu caused booting problems or system instability.

A quick internet search shows that your psu is a low end, overpriced POS that is made by HEC.

A power supply is the foundation of your system and you need to buy the best quality psu that you can afford.
              Would you build a really nice house on a crappy foundation?
              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

profJim, Thanks for that.
                I've already shelled out for the Board & CPU, so I'm reluctant to pay a similar sum for good quality PSU until I'm confident that it is indeed the PSU that's the cause of the halting system. So, are you able to say what additional demands are being placed upon the PSU at the point of DXE load, and if so what might be the variations in power supply at that point which this particular PSU may be unlikely to deliver/cope with?

Comment

Instead of buying a brand new power supply, can you borrow a good quality psu to test with?
                  From your psu output specs, your psu is an older unit that was designed and built for much older systems where most of the power output was delivered by the 3.3 and 5 volt rails. Modern power supplies provide the majority of the power to the 12 volt rails.

I'm not familiar with DXE, but it might help if you test with only one memory module installed, possibly in different memory slots.
                  I suggest testing with each memory module installed, one at a time, to see if this changes the boot/post process.

As wardog suggested, you need to test with a minimal hardware setup, to try to narrow down where the problem is.
                  You might need to test some of your hardware in another system.

It's best if you to list all of the hardware details in your forum PC Specs or forum profile so that we don't need to go searching through your thread each time.
                  E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                  Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                  Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                  HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by dompaulh View Post
                    However all these things check out with my kit UNLESS I've got a naff BIOS, but it seems that can't be the reason, because the board AND the CPU been RMA'd, yet I still get the same (halting at 4F) outcome.

Any sensible suggestions anyone? Please!
                    Which is why I still question the PSU. Even though ASRocks QVL doesn't list the memory, whatever it is it must be kept a secret here apparently, yet you imply Corsair in fact has it listed/tested on their QVL for the board.

Get a bad stick? Meh, it happens on ocassion. Easy enough. Test them on a friends machine or take then to a shop for testing.

Sensibly, knowing we're only talking about 4 pieces here(MB, CPU, RAM, PSU), and the first two items, MB and CPU have been RMA'd, I still consider the PSU to be a/one suspect part assuming the memory checks out. I so dislike applying the term POS yet this PSU you so wholeheartedly cling to is.

You seem intent here to be conclusive it is the MB at fault all the while apparently refusing to acknowledge the PSU may be at fault/faulty. There are proper steps to troubleshooting, and then there are not.

Comment

OK guys.
                      I'm about to get a better PSU. But first let me confirm:-

Relevant System Specs are now published.
                      I've recently built a Z77 system with a Gigabyte board and that uses Corsair DDR3 modules. They're very similar to the ones in this ASRock system and I've tested using the Gigabyte ones with the same 4F failure.
                      I've tested with only one module (as suggested).
                      Components in use in current testing are as shown in the Spec, with no attachments to case connectors, save for mounting screws -just as wardog suggests. Cannot borrow another PSU, will have to buy, but because of the cost am anxious that its not good money after bad, which is why I seem super-protective about the PSU, and why I return to my earlier queries about DXE. The way I read the explanation of the DXE processes indicates that at 4F the system's done its initial checks and now wants to ensure that its hardware is 'kosher', as it were. [Note the subsequent Dr Debug error codes are for Memory initialisation, CPU validity, etc].
                      So the basic question (if the PSU is naff) is:- what's required of it at this point?

Comment

Is swapping the PSU from the Gigabyte system to the A75 system a PITA, if only for testing purposes?

Comment

Check out http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post470462, post #6 for suggestions to find a power supply that will meet your needs.

On my side of the pond:
                          • Seasonic has the G750-SSR-750RM and the S 12G-750 Gold Certified models for $100 - $115.
                          • XFX has four 750 watt models with Bronze, Silver or Gold ratings for $85 - $120.
                          • Some NZXT models and a few other brands sell power supplies that are made by Super Flower and these models are also excellent.
                          • Some Antec and Corsair power supplies are made by Seasonic.

There are several other psu brands or models that are highly rated by the best psu review sites.
                          You need to spend some time reading psu reviews to ensure that you are buying a modern, highly rated psu that will meet your needs.
                          The better quality power supplies come with a five year warranty and some Platinum certified power supplies have a seven year warranty.

Comment

Comment

Good to hear you're up and running

Comment

Working...
                              X