ASRock Z87 Killer *sometimes* not recognizing my SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z87 Killer *sometimes* not recognizing my SSD

always gets recognized, aswell as both optical drives.

Next factor could be the SSD's case - to fit it into a 3.5" slot, I had to put it in an IcyDock. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact model number. It's just a black box with my SSD in it.

Now, my best guess is indeed that the SSD is faulty. The Kingston SSDNow V Series were very cheap back then - it's from 2011 or so - and have terrible writing speeds. IIRC, I had similar problems on my old MB, which was an Asus P7P55D-E - at least I replaced that, that was a whole other story - but I don't remember if the SSD was faulty or if it was due to my configuration, either way, I fixed it somehow.

Now, I'd try to install an UEFI update, but since this MB is rather new, there is none yet. Also, since the SSD is discontinued, there is no firmware upgrade I could install.

I already created a disk image onto my external HDD because I'm afraid my whole Win8 setup, which took ****tons of time to work like that, will be un-bootable at one point.
    Also, I should mention that once my computer is up, it's up. Then I have no trouble with anything (well, except Windows 8 of course :D) whatsoever. This is really getting on my nerves.

In other forums, this issue seems to come from an incompatibility between the SSD's controller and the SATA port it's connected to, and most people recommend sticking it in to an Intel port - which the Z87 Killer seemingly doesn't have.

So, any recommendations? I already tried switching the SSD's cable. Didn't help. Also Hot-Plugging is enabled in UEFI (beforehand, it was disabled, didn't change anything), the SATA-slot's mode is set to SSD, again, no difference if it's turned on or off. I am booting in AHCI mode.

EDIT: I should also mention that I tried to contact ASRock through the tool integrated into the UEFI itself, I received one answer from them, and after I replied, nothing else. It's quite rare I open forum threads about this kind of problem, but I don't seem to get the solution anywhere else.

EDIT2: This looks like my IcyDock: http://shop.utilis.ch/media/image/th..._3_720x600.jpg . Also, I should mention the SSD is SATA II, while the board only has SATA III, but I think that shouldn't be an issue, since SATA III is downwards compatible.
    Last edited by kuhfi; 11-14-2013, 07:35 AM.

Re: ASRock Z87 Killer *sometimes* not recognizing my SSD

I can assure you that your Z87 Killer board does have Intel SATA ports, the six SATA III ports provided by the Z87 chipset. Your board does not have any of the add on SATA controllers many boards use, so that is not the issue. The SATA II SSD on a SATA III port is also not the issue. But, a SATA III connection is higher bandwidth, and does require a better connection between the SATA device and board.

The first thing I would try is, don't use the IcyDock for the SSD. I know it seems just like an enclosure, but those things can cause problems at times. It's a simple thing to try, doesn't your case's drive mounting have a way to attach SSDs? It's at least a test to eliminate the IcyDock as a variable.

Are you using AHCI as the SATA mode, and what SATA driver are you using? I would disable hot plugging, as enabling it does not help.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      I can assure you that your Z87 Killer board does have Intel SATA ports, the six SATA III ports provided by the Z87 chipset. Your board does not have any of the add on SATA controllers many boards use, so that is not the issue. The SATA II SSD on a SATA III port is also not the issue. But, a SATA III connection is higher bandwidth, and does require a better connection between the SATA device and board.

The first thing I would try is, don't use the IcyDock for the SSD. I know it seems just like an enclosure, but those things can cause problems at times. It's a simple thing to try, doesn't your case's drive mounting have a way to attach SSDs? It's at least a test to eliminate the IcyDock as a variable.

Are you using AHCI as the SATA mode, and what SATA driver are you using? I would disable hot plugging, as enabling it does not help.
      Thanks a lot. I didn't know about the Intel ports - guess you never stop learning, huh :)

I will try removing the IcyDock. Yes, I am using AHCI as the SATA mode. Where can I check which SATA driver I am using? And I'll disable hot plugging, thanks.

EDIT: Removing the IcyDock didn't help.
      Last edited by kuhfi; 11-14-2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Alright, I switched the PSU now and still get the error, but now, in addition to that, I also got "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR" once, which can be because of defective RAM or HDD from what I understand. I guess I'll do a memcheck in the next couple days, but I think it's due to the SSD. Anyone else?

Comment

Working...
        X