Z87 Extreme11/ac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z87 Extreme11/ac

I was reading a post about the Z87 Extreme11/ac having 22 SATA ports on the board, but i cant find this board on asrock.com? does anyone know if this board is still around or if there is another board with 22 SATA ports on it?

Here is the link i read
    Computex: ASRock debuts Z87 motherboard with 22 SATA-ports | Hardware.Info United States

Re: Z87 Extreme11/ac

The board is new, it was just at computex, I'm not sure of the date it will be on the asrock website, but shouldn't be too long away.

Comment

The link in the OP is from June, so five months ago. People were asking about it at that time, but nothing seems to have changed. The Z87 Ex 11/ac in the picture must be a prototype, since it has no chipset or VRM heat sinks. What are they waiting for, the "Haswell refresh" processors, which may need a new chipset?

As I recall, the X79 Ex 11, with a LSI SAS2308 SATA/SAS2 controller, was not the easiest board to deal with. Owners either loved it or said it was garbage. It has two PLX chips to provide PCI-E 3.0, and you need an Ivy Bridge E processor to have more, none provided by Sandy Bridge E (Odie knows about this all to well and much better than I do.) This board sells for $600 - $650, and it has 14 SATA ports total.

What will the Z87 Extreme11/ac do with its very limited number of PCI-E 3.0 lanes compared to IVB-E? More PLX chips no doubt. It looks like this board would have two LSI SAS2308 SATA/SAS2 controllers, or does LSI have a 16 port SATA/SAS2 chip?

Who knows, this board may be something like a concept car seen at car shows. A prototype to test customer reaction, but may be not worth producing since its market is so small, and so much work and support must be put into it, it will never be profitable or practical to produce. How successful has the X79 Ex 11 board been? We very rarely see posts about it in this forum, so either it never has issues (??) or almost no one has one.

Plus with SATA Express on the horizon, which looks like it could bring SAS-like speeds to consumer boards, this board could be undesirable in a short time.

Comment

Thanks Parsec.

They show someone from asrock holding the board at compu, it's running the LSI SAS3008 which are 16 ports, and 4 native and 2 msata. Like you said, they have the PLX 8747 for the quad cross/ sli.

I want the X99, and I hope the DDR4 isn't more then a new house. haha I guess people loved the ex 11 with the LSI, but nothing about this one it coming out yet.

Comment

6 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors16 x SAS-3 12.0 Gb/s/SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors2 x mSATA Connectors1 x eSATA Connector

Comment

Dear all,

Thanks for the support!
            Z87 Extreme11/ac will be released recently, please kindly notice the latest information on our website.

I appreciate that you look forward our Z87 Extreme11/ac.

If any question, please kindly contact me.
            Thank you!

Have a nice day
            ASRock TSD
            Emily

Comment

And now, it is here!

ASRock > Z87 Extreme11/ac

Comment

Working...
              X