Asrock Z87E-ITX not recognizing WD 3 TB Red in BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z87E-ITX not recognizing WD 3 TB Red in BIOS

<style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); }P.western { font-family: "Times New Roman",serif; font-size: 12pt; }P.cjk { font-family: "Droid Sans"; font-size: 12pt; }P.ctl { font-family: "Lohit Hindi"; font-size: 12pt; }</style> I recently built a computer with the following specs:

CPU - i5 4670K
    Motherboard - ASRock Z87E-ITX with the C2 stepping chip
    Memory - 16GB (2 x 8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 Low Profile
    Power Supply - Kingwin LZP-550

I used three harddrives from a previous build:
    Samsung 830 256GB SSD (Boot)
    Western Digital 1 TB WD10EADS
    Western Digital 3 TB Red WD30EFRX

I use Linux as an operating system.

When I first powered it up it gave an A2 error on the first boot screen and then hung, it would not boot. I tried removing the drives and it booted successfully. I then added each drive back, one at a time and discovered that the problem was triggered by the WD Red 3 TB drive. It would not boot when it was plugged in and would boot when it wasn't. Interestedly enough, the A2 code was in the lower right hand corner each time, but it would successfully boot if the WD Red was not connected to the SATA port.

I tried different SATA ports and different cables and a different power connector, though I could feel by vibration that it was spinning. I then tried resetting the CMOS chip. I upgraded to the latest BIOS (2.10) I then tried setting the storage to IDE in BIOS, but no luck.

I pulled the WD 3TB Red out and put it in a external USB enclosure. After the computer was booted, I added the drive by USB and it was recognized and all my files were still there, which was a relief. If I try to reboot with the WD 3 TB Red in the external case by USB plugged in it gives the B4 error and hangs at the first boot screen. Has anyone run into problems with this motherboard and larger WD harddrives? What would you suggest that I try next?

Re: Asrock Z87E-ITX not recognizing WD 3 TB Red in BIOS

If you used Windows, I'd tell you to download and run the ASRock, ASRock 3TB+ Unlocker Utility ver:1.1 program. But that won't work in Linux, right?

So what does Linux have to enable large drives like your 3TB Red drive? Is it formatted as GPT?

Comment

Re: Asrock Z87E-ITX not recognizing WD 3 TB Red in BIOS

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      If you used Windows, I'd tell you to download and run the ASRock, ASRock 3TB+ Unlocker Utility ver:1.1 program. But that won't work in Linux, right?

So what does Linux have to enable large drives like your 3TB Red drive? Is it formatted as GPT?
      <style type="text/css">P { margin-bottom: 0.0</style>I formated the drive with a Linux utility as a MBR drive with two partitions to keep them under 2
      TB. I could get a hold of a Windows laptop and try the utility if it works with the drive in my USB external case.

The GPT is a good clue, thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X